Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post
My information isn't up to date--I stopped selling coaches in early 2006. My experience then was that the coach builder specified most chassis/drive train/running gear features, ie; tire size, engine, engine braking, radiator layout, axle capacity/type, raised rail, wheelbase(limited to what the chassis manufacturer is willing to build).

I've driven most of them and it's always unfair to compare a low-end Freightliner application to a high-end, ditto Spartan and Roadmaster. A Monaco Signature Roadmaster application is a very different experience to a Monaco Diplomat.

I also experienced big differences from year to year in drive train and suspension feel with Spartan MM. Tire size makes a huge difference, as does GVWR, tag axle and wheel base is huge, of course.

My 2000 Dutch Star on Spartan chassis feels too compliant, by the mid-2000's, the feel was more controlled, while not being as stiff or suffering the porpoising of similar price point Roadmaster chassis.

Finally, I always felt that given the same drive train, tire size, weight distribution, and suspension configuration in a Spartan vs. Freightliner, it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference. Roadmaster, with 2X out-board airbags was a completely different experience compared to the subtleties of the former two.

I'm happy to say that, my albeit low mileage Spartan MM, has had zero issues in eleven years of service, other than leaking rear Bilsteins.

Thanks for a great report, after reading all this it still seems to come down to floorplan that works. Which in our case is the Dutch Star 4346 with a Freightliner Chassis.

All the replies in this have been very informative and helpful.

Thansks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post
Hi Peter, good to hear from you! Went to an RV show a couple of months ago(hadn't been in 5 years), saw some of my old crew working for a dealer that just picked up Newmar. It was like old home week, John Sammut was there. I compared the Newmar models to the Tiffin's, which I really like, but I thought the Newmar's showed better.(Maybe I'm just biased!) There were no highlines, unfortunately.

Hope your Essex is treating you well!
Jeff:
Would that be Guaranty? They have several rigs I'm interested in, my wife not so much!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Jeff:
Would that be Guaranty? They have several rigs I'm interested in, my wife not so much!!
No, Guaranty has had the Newmar line for awhile. This is a SF Bay Area Newmar dealer, Sky River RV. Northern California hadn't had a Newmar dealer for a few years.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
I dunno about that article describing various DP chassis? Powerglide (Tiffin) was not mentioned and is certainly a player in the market now? And, Spartan provides an awful lot of military platforms - my Son is "licensed" to drive everything in the Canadian inventory and he loves Spartan? I also question his comparison of the Roadmaster vs. others when it comes to "driveability" ... we owned an HR built on the RR8R chassis and it did not drive nearly as well as our two Spartans. We hear lots of Roadmaster owners complaining about "keeping it between the lines" and driver fatigue. There's my thoughts so now you owe me a penny.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #47

I experienced the same thing as other's have mentioned regarding the service of both Freightliner and Spartan. My Allegro Bus had Tiffin's "Powerglide" chassis so I tried both and was way more impressed with Spartan.

Freightliner's website states that their "XCR Chassis" which is what Newmar uses on their 2012 Mountain Aire has Independant Front Suspension (IFS). If the new 2012 Mountain Aire has IFS why is it not noted anywhere in their brochure or website????

Adam
hellojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan