Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Awwww, com'on Tom, just when it was gettin' real interesting.....say... what do you guys think of starting a "which oil is best" thread?

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #72

Location, loc., loc.

We park 1 hour from a FL shop and 2 hours from a S shop. We still go to Gaffney, go figure. Same, same, but different.

Drive Newmar!
nursecamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade5979 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I am ordering a new Essex and the question has come up Spartan or Freightliner. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Having owned both, I would prefer the Freightliner chassis simply because of the incredible number of service facilities for them vs the Sparten.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #74

The pros for Freightliner are their truck dealerships usally have an RV section. Parts accessablity good. Cons they have a lock on their parts if their out of stock you can't get anywhere else not even vendor of part. Been there done that. Needed shocks called Billstein they said they had but the parts were locked by Freightliner could not sell to me. I told them I was a shop doing repairs still no sale.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Gator View Post
The pros for Freightliner are their truck dealerships usally have an RV section. Parts accessablity good. Cons they have a lock on their parts if their out of stock you can't get anywhere else not even vendor of part. Been there done that. Needed shocks called Billstein they said they had but the parts were locked by Freightliner could not sell to me. I told them I was a shop doing repairs still no sale.
Get Koni EVO for front, FSD for rears.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Without trying to reignite the entire debate, my one very specific question about Freightliner v Spartan is about steering angle. For 2019 FL is listed as 52* on 43’ chassis while spartan is listed as 55*. When you do the math [WB/sin(steering angle)] the Spartan theoretically has a 2 foot smaller turning circle.

For those that have done comparison, is that the real world experience? For 2019 do the Spartans actually turn tighter than the Freightliner?
Alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex00 View Post
Without trying to reignite the entire debate, my one very specific question about Freightliner v Spartan is about steering angle. For 2019 FL is listed as 52* on 43’ chassis while spartan is listed as 55*. When you do the math [WB/sin(steering angle)] the Spartan theoretically has a 2 foot smaller turning circle.

For those that have done comparison, is that the real world experience? For 2019 do the Spartans actually turn tighter than the Freightliner?

You will also notice that on the exact same floor plan, example 4369. They both (FL & SP) list a different wheel base even though the two units physically measure the same. FL measures WB from center of the front hub to center of the driven hub. SP engineers calculate the center from the center of the front hub to the center point between the driven and tag axle centers. May not be your answer but hard to compare the figures.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #78

The Spartan chassis has better access to the engine then the FL. FL put the coolant tank right in the middle of engine opening area. Tow Haul is another Spartan feature that is great to have if you are going with a air operated brake system for your tow.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #79
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Six pages and the Freightliner vs Spartan debate continues to roll on. Silly!

Each marque has features that some like and some don't. We've owned both and they are both quality platforms upon which to build a motorhome.

Pick the features you like and balance them against those you don't. Life is full of compromises, folks!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why exclude the workhorse chassis? Is this thread assuming diesel is better than gas?

----after stirring the pot, RedBaron sits back to enjoy the fruits of his evil deed.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #81

Entegra Owners Club
I knew better than to ask. I’ll just go to the dealer with a tape measure and spin donuts for an afternoon. Like I said, wasn’t trying to re-hash. Red, I appreciate your answer. Jim, I’m sorry for poking the bear.
Alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex00 View Post
I knew better than to ask. I’ll just go to the dealer with a tape measure and spin donuts for an afternoon. Like I said, wasn’t trying to re-hash. Red, I appreciate your answer. Jim, I’m sorry for poking the bear.
That is actually a very good idea. If they are the same length, then the test would be the most accurate way to get the answer.

My bet is the difference is not discernable.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just be careful in your test that the parameters including speed are the same as the steerable tag comes into play.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #84

Pleas don't hesitate to post your findings after your test I am just seeking all the information I can find to make my decision heck with the firestorm.
wade5979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan