RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #1

I have an 05 Newmar Kountry Star with a Sony TV and a Sony DVD surround system. There are 3 ceiling speakers in the front and 2 in the kitchen area. I can get sound out of the front ones, but not the 2 in the kitchen. I have tried different settings on the DVD and tried playing with the TV settings. The TV has a right/left adjustment but not a front/back. The radio only plays through the front speakers and the bedroom speakers also. When I adjust the radio fader control to the rear setting, there is no sound. I pulled the DVD out and there are wires connected in the back to the rear speaker jacks and those wires are going into the ceiling. I am thinking that it is either a setting on the DVD that I am missing, or the two speakers have going bad or the wires have come off of both of them. I would think it would odd for both of them to go out this soon.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #2

I have an 05 Newmar Kountry Star with a Sony TV and a Sony DVD surround system. There are 3 ceiling speakers in the front and 2 in the kitchen area. I can get sound out of the front ones, but not the 2 in the kitchen. I have tried different settings on the DVD and tried playing with the TV settings. The TV has a right/left adjustment but not a front/back. The radio only plays through the front speakers and the bedroom speakers also. When I adjust the radio fader control to the rear setting, there is no sound. I pulled the DVD out and there are wires connected in the back to the rear speaker jacks and those wires are going into the ceiling. I am thinking that it is either a setting on the DVD that I am missing, or the two speakers have going bad or the wires have come off of both of them. I would think it would odd for both of them to go out this soon.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill

Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does your DVD amp have a test position to test all 6 spk locations? The test sequence maybe operated from your remote control.
When you play your DVD SYS you should get surround sound plus bass in a cabinet someplace.
I have a different set up than yours and my tv could be played thru radio spks "only" two up front two in kitchen ceiling and the two in bedroom and controled by a AUX-300 unit.
Your kitchen spks the small ones are off DVD sys only.
You may have 6" spks in ceiling also for the radio that are a muiltible of the front spks, in the kitchen. The bedroom spks are controlled volume wise off FAD control of radio.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #4

You probably have the same equipment that I have in my 05 Scottsdale that has a Sony TV and Sony Surround Sound system.

To test all speakers, set your distribution switch to DVD for the front TV. Set DVD/Video to DVD. Press "Setup/Menu" on remote. Select "test". The test will cycle through all of your speakers.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #5

I have a factory mounted switch underneath the curb side cabinet that holds all the stereo/dvd goodies. That switch turns the rear speakers in the kitchen on and off. It is not marked in any way. It looks like a light switch.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #6

Today I discovered that the kitchen speakers worked when I put in a DVD that was recorded in surround sound. So I guess the kitchen ones are only going to work with progams broadcast in surround??? I am using the antena now. Maybe with the Dish I will have more programs in surround?? Just guessing.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your right Bill you do not have 6" spks off radio in kitchen. Checked Newmar web site and they only show the five small spks in ceiling.
Does your radio have two spks in cabinets either side up front?
Unless they have a signal feed, left and right off radio to DVD sys, possiblity a AUX input, you won't have TV or radio to those five spks.
Thats not to say its a possiblity though.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:34 AM   #8

Make sure your TV is playing through your DVD/VCR. Your VCR remote has a sound field button on it. Press that button until your get sound through your speakers in the kitchen area.
This is the way mine works. Hope this helps.
JoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #9

I did a speaker test last night, and they all work. It appears as though the rear 2 are only going to work with the DVD with the DVD was recorded in surround. I need to see if the radio is using cabinet speakers up front or the front ceiling speakers. I was wondering if I could take jumper wires from the wires going to the rear speakers and jump them to the front speaker jacks on the back of the VCR?? It would give the same sound to the kitchen speakers as the front. I would have sound out of the kitchen speakers all the time, but it may screw up the surround sound.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trust me it will screw up your DVD sys, you need a feed from TV sound leads left and right into the back of DVD amp if you have them from and to both locations.