Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Special - Lifeline AGM Batteries

I placed a special order for Lifeline (brand) AGM batteries and it was denied by Newmar. Does anyone know what AGM batteries are installed in 2017 Dutch Stars?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Discover AGM's. See Product SearchÂ*|Â*Discover Energy Corp.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

How are the Discover batteries constructed that make them not as desirable as the Lifeline?

Wonder why the the specials are denied? I wonder if you shipped them the batteries to be installed during pickup would that work and be worth while? Assuming they gave you a good credit on the Discover batteries.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Does anyone know the cost of one of the Discover batteries?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I placed a special order for Lifeline (brand) AGM batteries and it was denied by Newmar. Does anyone know what AGM batteries are installed in 2017 Dutch Stars?

Rex

For $1500 MSRP, Newmar will replace the eight 6 volt Flooded cells with eight 6 volt Discover energy AGM's. They are very popular in the solar industry.

We've had them for about a year and a half. They have performed well. Make sure you set you Magnum converter to the AGM2 setting. Myself and several others had theirs set incorrectly from the factory to Flooded. This will prematurely kill your AGMs.

If I still own this MH when the Discover's wear out, I'll probably replace them with larger Lifelines, which are the best you can buy although the Discover's are performing well at this point.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AGM's are standard on the Dutch Star for 2017.
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club

These are the Discover AGM's that Newmar installed as a special on our 2015 Ventana 4037, all electric.

Nice to see they are standard on the DS now. They really ought to be standard on all the all-electric DP's IMO.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

I have Lifeline AGMs on our present SOB coach. They have performed flawlessly for 5 years. I ordered the Lifeline batteries because I read that the Discover batteries are inferior and made in China. I don't have any facts in that regard.

I was willing to pay an upgrade fee for the Lifeline batteries but evidently Newmar prefers not to offer that option.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I have Lifeline AGMs on our present SOB coach. They have performed flawlessly for 5 years. I ordered the Lifeline batteries because I read that the Discover batteries are inferior and made in China. I don't have any facts in that regard.

I was willing to pay an upgrade fee for the Lifeline batteries but evidently Newmar prefers not to offer that option.

Agree, I would prefer Lifelines if I were buying them on my own. From my limited experience, I'm not disappointed with the Discovers.

I figure I'll get whatever life out of the Discovers that they have to offer, then replace them with larger Lifelines down the line.

For what I've seen with other's denied requests, Newmar will substitute components that they already stock and use up and down the model lines but not one-off substitutions from non-stocked items. Understandable from an inventory/ordering/warranty perspective. I think custom build costs would rise dramatically if they opened specials up to any component swap.

There's always a custom Prevost...

Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

The VP of service (Matt Utley) told us back in Jan @ the Tampa show that they could replace the Discover brand with Interstate brand. I hope he was not mistaken.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

Are Interstate better than Discover?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
For $1500 MSRP, Newmar will replace the eight 6 volt Flooded cells with eight 6 volt Discover energy AGM's. They are very popular in the solar industry.

We've had them for about a year and a half. They have performed well. Make sure you set you Magnum converter to the AGM2 setting. Myself and several others had theirs set incorrectly from the factory to Flooded. This will prematurely kill your AGMs.

If I still own this MH when the Discover's wear out, I'll probably replace them with larger Lifelines, which are the best you can buy although the Discover's are performing well at this point.

From what I have been reading, the 2017 all-electric coach is standard with AGMs. Don't think that includes the chassis batteries, just the 8 house batteries.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
From what I have been reading, the 2017 all-electric coach is standard with AGMs. Don't think that includes the chassis batteries, just the 8 house batteries.

^^^^^That is a welcome change. No one wants to baby sit eight or more flooded batteries.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Discover batteries are inferior and probably the cheapest for Newmar but you get what you pay for. The Discover are 196 AH & weigh 66 lbs and the Lifeline 4CT is similar in size and weight with 220 AHs.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries