Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #1

Specials Pricing

I tried searching and still have questions.

I've submitted my build sheet with "options" to several dealers for pricing. We are ready to select a dealer but then I read here that we should be pricing "specials" too before selecting a dealer. Each dealer has told us that specials will be at their dealer cost. Is that all I need to know? Or do I need specific pricing? If I don't get specific pricing until I select a dealer then how to I know for sure what his cost is? Do you get some sort of print out from the dealer with a break down from Newmar? I am so confused and don't want to make a rookie mistake. Thank you for your time!
irv1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv1997 View Post
I tried searching and still have questions.

I've submitted my build sheet with "options" to several dealers for pricing. We are ready to select a dealer but then I read here that we should be pricing "specials" too before selecting a dealer. Each dealer has told us that specials will be at their dealer cost. Is that all I need to know? Or do I need specific pricing? If I don't get specific pricing until I select a dealer then how to I know for sure what his cost is? Do you get some sort of print out from the dealer with a break down from Newmar? I am so confused and don't want to make a rookie mistake. Thank you for your time!

When you get all your bids back from the dealers you sent out to, make sure to ask each of them the deal on factory specials. You want to see if they just pass along the cost with no up charge or do they add to the price. Once you pick your dealer they will then be able to help you through the specials process. I did exactly what you're doing and so far have had a great experience with Jon at Steinbring Motorcoach in Minn. Good luck on your journey, Brad
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

you should ask for, and be provided, the invoice your dealer receives from newmar, that outlines the factory cost of the specials....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

The dealers I worked with all gave two prices. Price discounted for the coach and price of the specials. All 4 of the 5 listed the specials at the same cost. One marked it up and then discounted back down to the same cost. Newmar doesn't usually send over, even to the dealer, the individual item costs. It can be requested but I didn't find it worthwhile. New what I wanted and the cost was the cost. If you already have the numbers then you are ready to do any negotiation.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

I've had discussions with a number of dealers about this subject. Almost all say they will pass Newmar's cost of the specials directly on with no increase. Some have offered to show me Newmar's pricing.

Normally Newmar does not provide line item pricing on their specials. During negotiations Newmar gives the dealer a cost estimate for all of the specials as a group. I had one dealer tell me they "might" be able to get Newmar to provide a break-out on the price of each special, but I still don't know if Newmar will do that or not.

Let's say you're thinking about moving a light switch up 12 inches higher on the wall. Newmar will probably agree to do that, but at what cost? For $20 it might be worth it to you, but at $2000 probably not. How do you know?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
I've had discussions with a number of dealers about this subject. Almost all say they will pass Newmar's cost of the specials directly on with no increase. Some have offered to show me Newmar's pricing.

Normally Newmar does not provide line item pricing on their specials. During negotiations Newmar gives the dealer a cost estimate for all of the specials as a group. I had one dealer tell me they "might" be able to get Newmar to provide a break-out on the price of each special, but I still don't know if Newmar will do that or not.

Let's say you're thinking about moving a light switch up 12 inches higher on the wall. Newmar will probably agree to do that, but at what cost? For $20 it might be worth it to you, but at $2000 probably not. How do you know?
i asked for, and received, line item details. it can be done.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
you should ask for, and be provided, the invoice your dealer receives from newmar, that outlines the factory cost of the specials....
Thank you! This is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
Your response was very helpful. The part I quoted is exactly what I am thinking. I feel like having a breakdown of specials cost will help me decide which items aren't worth the additional cost and which items are. I guess I will see if my dealer can provide this breakdown or not.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i asked for, and received, line item details. it can be done.
Very good to know! Thank you!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #9

IRV2

Get your specials pricing first & add them to the MSRP & then receive your discount on them- on my coach, which had 6 specials, I got 32.4% off the top line- MSRP + specials prices. Remember - Newmar & the dealers know very well how to play the game - they mark specials up ~300% knowing they will be discounting them down! If you believe a dealer when he says he won't mark them up- he's right- he'll make an addition 30-35% on these. Remember the old saying - Never believe a car, truck or RV salesman!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Get your specials pricing first & add them to the MSRP & then receive your discount on them- on my coach, which had 6 specials, I got 32.4% off the top line- MSRP + specials prices. Remember - Newmar & the dealers know very well how to play the game - they mark specials up ~300% knowing they will be discounting them down! If you believe a dealer when he says he won't mark them up- he's right- he'll make an addition 30-35% on these. Remember the old saying - Never believe a car, truck or RV salesman!

Happy Trails
Where did you get 32.4% off MSRP...? I'm @ 29.3% and I thought that was a smoking deal...! I called a hand full of dealers and most weren't even close to 28%...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 AM   #11

Are you saying you added the MSRP and the specials and then got 32% on the whole deal?

We're the specials indicated they were discounted already?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
Where did you get 32.4% off MSRP...? I'm @ 29.3% and I thought that was a smoking deal...! I called a hand full of dealers and most weren't even close to 28%...
for my deal, the coach, plus factory options were priced at retail, and then discounted 29.7%. then the specials were added on at factory invoice.

my trade was valued at current wholesale price, based on the current valuation book. even though i am putting miles on my coach as i use it, and another valuation book will come out between now and and when the coach will be finished and i can take delivery, my trade value is locked in.

it took about three rounds of back and forth with 5 dealers to get to these numbers.

i feel this deal is very sharp, as two dealers gave up, without countering a third time. and the other two could not come within 5K.

if someone is getting 32.4% or better as a discount to MSRP, IMHO, they either don't have a trade, or are getting lower, or floating trade values. the dealer has to make a reasonable profit and the sales team needs to be paid....
Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Sicduc

Do you mind sharing the dealer you got your coach from.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post

Happy Trails
When ordering a coach and choosing factory delivery is it reasonable to expect 32% off MSRP to include all specials and factory delivery?

At these numbers every % makes a difference.
Drsaile is offline   Reply With Quote