RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Speedco/loves

I'm just about due for the annual service on the massive Cummins 300 hp 5.9 24 valve ISB. Over the past 6 years or so, SPEEDCO has been very competitive price wise and I'm usually out in under 1 hour.
After looking at the combined website of SPEEDCO/LOVES, I could no longer find the Cummins ISB listed, so I called to get a price. For oil, oil filter, 1 fuel filter, and chassis lube, they've raised their price to $310, which is about $70 higher than last April. Service on the diesel generator increased from the mid $50's range to around $90 for 5 qts of oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. Usually, I service the generator myself but trying to catch several gallons of oil from the main engine could turn into a huge mess, thus the need to have it changed by a shop.
Like everyone else, the towed vehicle needed to be unhooked before servicing the motorhome at SPEEDCO, which was never a big deal. Now that I have the car on a car hauling trailer, that has become a much bigger deal for me hitching up the trailer by myself. Anyone had experience with mobile oil change companies, if so, are their prices competitive with SPEEDCO/LOVE and do lube the chassis, as well as oil/filters, change?

tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Just a thought. Since your pulling a trailer and car not 4 down maybe you won't have to unhook the trailer. Probably the reason for unhooking the 4 down car is crossing the pit they work in. The trailer shouldn't be an issue crossing the pit. I'm sure they don't make semi's unhook their trailers when servicing. Call them and check it out.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Just a thought. Since your pulling a trailer and car not 4 down maybe you won't have to unhook the trailer. Probably the reason for unhooking the 4 down car is crossing the pit they work in. The trailer shouldn't be an issue crossing the pit. I'm sure they don't make semi's unhook their trailers when servicing. Call them and check it out.
EXCELLENT point! I'll call them as ask about my car hauling trailer.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #4

If Speedco raised the price to $310 for a PM on a ISB I would cross them off my list. I have all PM services done at my facility tech's come to me. But I am not a full timer.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

All Speedco prices went up about $50-70 after the acquisition by Love's. There may be independents that have better pricing, I like SAPP Brothers but they are mainly through the midwest along I-80/I-70 who do a great job at $219 and you get a free streak dinner.

Speedco/Love's still is at $25 for a chassis lube and still at the higher $300 price is reasonable depending on the amount of oil you need and what your personal time is worth.

They also got rid of the tiered small/medium/large pricing. Basically a single price for Cummins based on the ISX engine. So it really was the small/med prices that went up since the ISX pricing was pretty close to the new price.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my last Speedco in Sept at Milan, NM.
I am not a fan of Love's the charge was much more than previous visits. The DW paid the bill and I didn't notice till the CC bill came through.
I had to disconnect the TOAD, first time. I had always just pulled into the exit door with the TOAD connected. And they were very slow, no one in line and it still took a hour and half.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - I recently asked for information at Speedco after seeing that the RV prices were no longer posted. Their response was that they still do RVs but that pricing will vary by location and to ask locally. Not much help on the road as a full timer.

BTW - "do a great job at $219 and you get a free streak dinner". I'm not eating in the nude for an oil change! :>)

Tom
Ricci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

The Speedco app now shows pricing. Looks great

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #9

I'll be servicing both the iSB and the Onan at Speedco in S Atlanta next weekend, I'll let you know how it goes and what the final pricing is, though I'll be supplying the Onan filters - oil, air, and fuel.
[this Speedco told me that they don't do transmission fluid changes, though]
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

Why a trans fluid change?
Iíve paid Blackstone $35 each year for 5 years, and the tests results are all perfect

Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

50,000 miles since last one
Old 03-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
50,000 miles since last one

Me too.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

on my Freightliner dash panel readout, you can set the parameters to Alert you once the number of miles reaches your setting, preferably the number said by Allison for your engine and miles and driving style, and/or months/years. Mine was alerting me everytime I cranked the engine until I realized this - it was set at 25,000 instead of 50,000.

my first Trans fluid change was performed by the Freightliner Oasis shop at Gaffney SC back at 54,000 miles. While I'm only at 80,000 now, I was asking Speedco about it to know if they performed this service.

I would also love to use an actual CUMMINS shop, as there are two or three in GA, but with a reservation required, it's a lot less convenient than just pulling into Speedco, though I'm sure they could do it all very easily. I made an online schedule with Cummins in S Atlanta last week, and even called the shop to ask about it - have still yet to receive a confirmation or return call.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #14

Understood. Iím at 80K. Will act according to the Blackstone test.
Best wishes
Happy Trails