RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 05:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Lots of work-arounds in this thread but none address the real problem.

NOTE: This is not a glare problem - it is a poorly designed gauge illumination problem.

Sometimes I just turn on the headlights so the dash lights come on which helps.

Follow the link tderonne posted and check out the LED strip solution. That's on my list to do.
That's my KISS solution. Sometimes I can't see mine very well and I just turn on the lights.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:11 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Over a year ago, due to an iRV2 thread, I looked at options to replace the gauge faces with white dials. I don't know if it's possible, and I had a time (then) finding a set that matched the faces for the F-53, but if it works it might help with daytime visibility. I have no idea how difficult it would be to replace the gauge faces.

Here is an example (link to product here):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	242775  

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 AM   #17

Since the later F53 chassis's use luminescence lighting, turning the headlights does not solve the dash gauge lighting problem. I went with the LEDs on the cluster. The first LEDs were normal strips behind a piece of wood trim. But that trim also blocked the Turn Signal indicators.

I changed to edge mounted LED strips which didn't need a blocking strip and didn't cover the Turn Signals.

Pictures of the process at Gauge Lights
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Since the later F53 chassis's use luminescence lighting, turning the headlights does not solve the dash gauge lighting problem. I went with the LEDs on the cluster. The first LEDs were normal strips behind a piece of wood trim. But that trim also blocked the Turn Signal indicators.

I changed to edge mounted LED strips which didn't need a blocking strip and didn't cover the Turn Signals.

Pictures of the process at Gauge Lights
I would imagine the design of the driver's area matters, but turning on the lights does help me if I'm not wearing sunglasses. If the sun's bothering me I wear a ball cap angled to block it. I can look downright rakish at some angles.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I thought it was just me. I have a 2015 Bay Star and the same problem. I am relieved to know it isn't just my MH. I thought the day time illumination didn't even work until I drove it at night.

I am hoping someone comes up with a solution that is workable. Until then I will use my GPS as a guide.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Speedometer NOT VISIBLE

I don’t think there is any daytime illumination and the existing backlights that come on with the headlights or running lights aren’t strong enough to help in bright sunshine.

Dale and Mark - where did you find the edge emitting LEDs?

Also - it looks like the 2020s will have a redesigned instrument cluster.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer