RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Squeeks and groans

I have owned 3 45 ft diesel pushers. two country coaches, one monaco, and now a new king aire. It seems to me when traveling down the highway on uneven or rough roads i get alot more squeeks and groans coming from walls on my newmar . My coach has the full wall slide and two smaller slides on opposite wall. I can understand this may due to a full wall slide with such a big chunk so to speak taken out of the side of coach. when i go over driveways you can really here it. even traveling on the beautiful highways that California has , lol, it seems that both sides of coach has more squeeks and groans than any of my previous coaches. I guess i am just being to damn picky I love my coach , but has anybody with the same coach experianced any of these noises

Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Getting ready to order a similar layour Newmar Dutch Star, the 4018.

I am going to check the "No squecks and groans" option - LOL!

Guess I will find out next spring when I get the rig. My curent Newmar has 4 slideouts and is pretty solid and quiet.

Ma Snart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05993.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	29135  

Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my two slide coach we have the squeaks also and I have the slides locked.
When the rubber slide seals rub together when closed it will happen,
RUB some 303 Protectorate on seals may cut down noise some.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Hung wall sidewalls squeak more than laminated sidewalls, ditto the Newmar wooden subfloor vs. laminated subfloors. I used to sell Newmar, Beaver, Safari, National, Winnebago, Georgie Boy, Fleetwood coaches. Newmar and the low-end Beaver and Safari coaches had hung sidewalls and squeaked the most(Newmar copied their sidewall construction from Holiday Rambler, whose construction transferred to the other Monaco brands on the lower end models.). The sidewalls are also wavier than most laminated sidewalls.

The high-end Country Coaches, Monaco brands, used steel framing in the sidewalls and laminated construction. The construction methodology and and extra weight made for a quieter coach, smoother ride.

Having said that, nobody beats Newmar for insulation, be it sidewall, roof or sub-floor, even the belly. Thickest walls, dual insulation. And hung side walls don't delaminate, have more frame members, more direct wiring and convenient switches and outlet placement.

When I'd walk into a Newmar vs. other brands, it was always more comfortable temp. wise, no interior condensation and quieter as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #5

Hey Jeff Regan,

Thanks for the interesting technical perspective...

Ma Snart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02569.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	29174  
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Squeeks and groans

Thanks jeff on your comment on sidewalls. Makes sense to me
Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On Newmar coaches, the walls are standing on a wood floor that is laid on top of the chassis frame. The walls are held in place with long bolts that go through the wood floor into the frame below. The walls have no direct contact with the chassis frame. That kind of design means the walls will move independently of the chassis frame. It has to squeak and groan.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
On Newmar coaches, the walls are standing on a wood floor that is laid on top of the chassis frame. The walls are held in place with long bolts that go through the wood floor into the frame below. The walls have no direct contact with the chassis frame. That kind of design means the walls will move independently of the chassis frame. It has to squeak and groan.
True about the sidewalls sitting on the wooden sub floor, but Monaco brand lower end models(Diplomat, Knight, Endeavor, Santiam, Cheetah, all their gas coaches), Travel Supreme, have hung sidewalls with aluminum frames, some with aluminum skins and have aluminum and steel framed laminated sub-floors that also squeak and groan, so it's not just Newmar, even though they are unique with wooden sub floors.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

the older london aire like the one i am getting has the laminated steel or alum wall studs and rounded outside like an egg shell for more inlsulation...the roof also laminated..at least on the '97.and on test drive i listened for for noises and i didnt here any....jeff

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote