RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #1

Started doing Break in maintenance on New Aire

Yesterday tried to remove the top engine hatch in the bedroom. I thought it would be easy access to fan gearbox. Not so, removing bottom hatch not reccomended as it requires far more then just lifting it out, far more. So I avoided that and removed air cleaner and piping to get access.
By climbing in on top of motor after removing piping, I found total and complete access to the engine upper area for all required maintenance and good access to the fan gearbox. I see no need to use that hatch for anything going forward.
Just as the factory techs told me my fan gear box needed an early oil change. The magnetic plug had plenty of break in metal attached and the oil was metalic in reflection. Typical of break in activity but itís also good to get it out of the gearbox for extending oil seal life. I just used the reccomended Delvac oil for flush before refill. I see why early change/flush at 6 months is reccomended in service schedule.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Yesterday tried to remove the top engine hatch in the bedroom. I thought it would be easy access to fan gearbox. Not so, removing bottom hatch not reccomended as it requires far more then just lifting it out, far more. So I avoided that and removed air cleaner and piping to get access.
By climbing in on top of motor after removing piping, I found total and complete access to the engine upper area for all required maintenance and good access to the fan gearbox. I see no need to use that hatch for anything going forward.
Just as the factory techs told me my fan gear box needed an early oil change. The magnetic plug had plenty of break in metal attached and the oil was metalic in reflection. Typical of break in activity but itís also good to get it out of the gearbox for extending oil seal life. I just used the reccomended Delvac oil for flush before refill. I see why early change/flush at 6 months is reccomended in service schedule.
Mine was changed from below. Required 2 man hours to pull down panels below the gearbox. Not happy with any design that makes so much metal during break-in. Suggests lack of proper machining.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Removing the intake system may provide access but at a higher risk od "dusting" your engine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Removing the intake system may provide access but at a higher risk od "dusting" your engine.
I disagree, opening and visual inspection of air filter Assembly and hoses are important and prudent procedures required at least annually as per service schedule posted by Freightliner.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also disagree. Inspecting and cleaning the air filter will extend it's life and possibly the engines. I want to know what's going on.

Tags
air, maintenance