RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #1

Just got back from a 4500 mile trip from OH to TX and NM and back by way of AR, MS, AL, TN, and KY. We have an '05 Kountry Star on W-22 chasis. Cross-winds, bad weather, semi's, and fatigue made me start to think about steering stabilizers and anti-sway bars. I've read comments on RV.net and the Workhorse Forum and wonder what the Newmar owners say.

rvrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #2

Just got back from a 4500 mile trip from OH to TX and NM and back by way of AR, MS, AL, TN, and KY. We have an '05 Kountry Star on W-22 chasis. Cross-winds, bad weather, semi's, and fatigue made me start to think about steering stabilizers and anti-sway bars. I've read comments on RV.net and the Workhorse Forum and wonder what the Newmar owners say.

rvrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Each caoach is different. Depending on wheel base, length, how it is loaded and so on. I would start with a rear trac bar. Then I would look at Steer Safe or Safety Plus. Then a front trac bar if necessary.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #4

rvrose,

I made that same trip about a year ago from the Columbus area and experienced the same fatigue. My next trip took me back to NM and I had the Steer Safe system installed in Deming, NM at the factory. It made a world of difference. I just put my hands on the wheel and it almost steers itself. I have an '05 Bounder on the W22 Chassis.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
How long is your KS??

How much does it weigh loaded??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a 37' coach same as mine I didn't put on a rear track bar until I had my coach realined, chassis would track like a crab going down the road. Thats when I notice my rear end shifting with winds or trucks passing. I have had the Davis Tru-track on other Newmars but wanted to try the Henderson bar ,on rear axel, on this coach.
The difference was like night and day you can just sit back and enjoy the ride in CC.
Like others have said get your coach weight and front end alined and load as to your axel weights balance the load towards the front axel for better traction.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All you need is the correct wheel allignment! Now that can sometime be hard to find. I purchased the trac bar but it was not needed after I got a good allignment
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Poor alignment will never be fix by tire air pressure, new shocks, heavy sway bars, trac bars, steering stablizers or anything else. They will just mask the problem.

Now if you are getting some 18 wheeler push or tail wag then a trac bar may be in order. The rest of the addons may or may not be of any value. What ever you do don't add more than one item at a time or you will never know what fixed the problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly!

Please don't feel compelled to throw money and or hardware at a problem. Be conservative and rule out things one item at a time. I'm sure that you will find that a great front end alignment will do more for you than the best steering aid.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steering stabilizers treat the symptom, trac-bars treat the cause.

Vehicles with coil springs over solid axles like the Jeep Wrangler require a track bar. This is to keep the body from shifting side to side over the axles (independent suspensions don't have to worry about this). There is a belief, that I think is wrong, that a leaf spring will locate the body solidily enough to not require track bars.

The full meal solution is to install all three items: a front and rear track bar and a steering stabilizer (the Jeep Wrangler YJ with leaf springs has two track bars, and it is a small vehicle). If you don't want to spend the money for all three, each will make steps toward solving or disquising the problem.

I would:

1) weigh the vehicle, all four corners, and adjust weight distribution as needed

2) determine correct tire pressure and apply

3) have the alignment checked and corrected

4) install a front or rear track bar

5) install the other track bar

6) install a steering stabilizer

As you go through this process you may find that the improvement at some point satisfies your standards and stop.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvinc: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like my after market suspension articles truncated into a short to do list.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Consider getting the alignment specs from the manufacturer. When you have the coach aligned, the work should be done by one of their authorized service centers. Give the specs to the technician doing the alignment and ask if you can view his equipment and have him explain how the his equipment is meeting the specs you gave him.

The previously posted suggestions are all good. The most important is to do one thing at a time. This allows you to stop spending $s when the coach drives like you want.

Go to the iRV2 Spartan forum and look for my thread about the MM Chassis Drives Like A Hunting Dog. To make a long story short, go to the last post. It should be my update on how I got my coach to be the best it can be. We have different chassis but similar problems.

In addition to what is mentioned in the Spartan thread, In September, I added an IPD (now Roadmaster) anti-sway bar to the rear end. The difference was immediate and impressive. The back end never moves sideways (a track bar was already on the coach). With what was done to the front end, the front an back ends are now very stable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2005 3505 Mountain Aire w-24 with similar problems. I was interested in a post I saw a few days ago here. W24 Handling Issues.....
Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #14

Rv Rose

I agree with everything that has been said as I have done all of the modifications mentioned. I also added the 2 1/2 inch antisway bar on the front of my W-22. I wanted the suspensionas tight as I could get it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned at all is to take a look at the shocks. What shocks do you have on the coach now? If it's the Monroes, the Bilsteins would be better or the Koni FSDs are excellent. (Just depends on how deep the billfold is.) I'm not sure where I would include that item on the list, but I think they're also important.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote