Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Steering Wheel column adjustment pedal failure

As we were returning from our short evacuation for IRMA, I noticed the steering wheel adjustment would not move. I believe the pedal mechanism may have disconnected from a cable, however I have not had a chance to diagnose a potential cause until Saturday. The steering wheel will not raise/lower, or telescope up/down.

Has anyone had a similar problem, with successful resolution.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

I have a 2017 Ventana LE and experienced the same failure this past weekend. When I inspected it, I discovered the cable from the pedal to the steering column had actually broke.
I am in the process of trying to locate the part and also determine if I can fix it or if this is shop repair...

Any information / experience notes would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you kindly.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

I'm very glad to hear that even if/when the cable breaks, the steering wheel and column don't move! that's a good thing.

I thought about that this morning when I adjusted mine -- what happens when that lock mechanism breaks?

Apparently I have half the answer now. And you guys will fill in how to fix it when it does break.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #4

I replaced mine last winter, I was thankful that it broke in the down position. Once I took off the plastic molding around the steering column, I really couldn't see the reason for the size bulky plastic housing,,,,It really takes up far too much room - I digress. Pay attention to how the cable is routed. the cable comes as a kit (SPartan) with a new peddle and is completed with a cable housing tube. you can't buy just a cable so, awesome. Don't recall how much it was but I considered it cheep. Take a look at the actuating arm that does the work of releasing the lever to allow the column to tilt and you will see that with the plastic housing off, you could pull the lever and move the column manually. (good news if it ever breaks in the "UP" position.) Seems like I had to bend a retaining clip to get the new cable installed then bent it back, I couldn't see any other way to get it in...others may have a better way.

I didn't find it immensely difficult to change out. Take your time. Look over the cable routing before you start and you shouldn't have trouble. I think the hardest part was putting the plastic molding back together.. I'm not totally inept but not the kind of guy who fixes everything.

I did decide to move the peddle up and inch from the floor by rigging a steel plate over the existing bolt holes, bolting the plate to the floor and then bolting the peddle to newly aligned holes in the plat. I found that the peddle was too low, the peddle was too close to the floor causing a kink in the cable where it rubbed and broke.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #5

Our cable broke in 2015. Freightliner repaired under warranty. The technician told me that the pedal cable was not adjusted properly at Newmar during the coach build.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
Once I took off the plastic molding around the steering column, I really couldn't see the reason for the size bulky plastic housing,,,,It really takes up far too much room
Funny you commenting on this. I've wondered the same thing -- as I bang one or the other of my feet into it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Our cable broke while on vacation in the upright position. It was uncomfortable to steer but manageable.
Freightliner repaired it under warranty. It required us to bring RV in for inspection and then later when they obtained the repair parts.
Technician said that perhaps the pedal was depressed too far which strained the assembly. He suggested to depress the pedal slowly until the steering wheel moved. Further depression might cause stress on the assembly.?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

Thank you Jerry.
I reached out to Freightliner, they have the cable and pedal assembly in Memphis and will deliver it to the service dealer at my location for scheduling "warranty work".
I have a little time before using the coach again so I will let them do the work for me and I am sure they can do the work more efficiently that I could....

Tags
steering