Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #15

I think it is feasible to believe that on a flat (No crown or wind) that the steering may seek left and right as the slight resistance is met. Therefore, the exact issue you are now describing may be fairly normal.

One of the problems of discussing such points is explaining it in the detail that it is understandable by all.

Anyway, Freightliner is not coming quite smelling like a rose in this post.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #16

A few numbers that may be of interest.
--- A steering wheel in the U.S. has 36 splines so you can always get the wheel to within 5 degrees of level when driving in a particular condition such as straight ahead on level pavement with no wind and perfect alignment on all the axles.

--- Just switching lanes in a motorhome will require the steering wheel to move 5 to 8 degrees.

--- In a 300 too 400 mile day trip, the nominal straight-ahead position of the wheel will typically move around 15 to 20 degrees, peak to peak.

--- The most steering wheel deflection I have personally measured was 54 degrees to the right in a blowing snowstorm.

What all that says is that while it is possible to set the wheel level for some condition, it is impossible to set it for all conditions.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk2 View Post
I have the same issue and an alignment won't help. I was at FL in Gaffney and they did the alignment and moved the steering wheel left and right one spline and it was still off a bit just a different way. It's annoying. sometimes on a perfectly flat road with no crown it is straight as an arrow but the comfort steer is influenced a lot by the crown and angle of the road in terms of how it rides, so I find myself steering a bit right and lefty while going straight.
A properly performed alignment will not only help but will correct the off center issue.
Generally there are only three alignment angles the shop is adjusting. Caster, camber and toe in. There are other angles such as king pin inclination and toe out on turns but these are usually only addressed after a collision. They require parts replacement and are not something you can adjust for.
The caster, camber and toe in can be spot on but if the tie rods are not correctly adjusted the steering wheel can be off center.
The crown built into todays highways can offer another challenge. Some shops will compensate for the crown by offsetting caster to prevent a pull to the right due to the crowned road surface. I prefer giving the left wheel
more camber ( 1/4 to 1/2 degree positive) to compensate for the crown and keeping the caster even side to side. Only a thorough road test after the alignment is done will verify the alignment is correct.
Ride height is another concern while doing alignments. It should be checked and be within specs. Another issue is the chassis builder sending out specs for a loaded vehicle or one which comes off the assembly line not knowing for sure what weight will actually be carried on the chassis? The options available for motor homes is extensive today. How would the chassis builder be expected to know how chassis # 1174 will be opted out? All the specs are arbitrary at best. When the chassis leaves the factory and sits in the MH builder's lot no one knows what is going to be put on that chassis. Can you imagine what a difference a full wide slide would make opposed to a small slide and how about multiple slides? The ride height could change drasticly. A change of only inch in ride height can affect alignment a lot.
In my opinion the completed build should be aligned at the body shop before being released to the buyer. Then you have the consumer to deal with. Some folks will travel light while others will load all their earthly belongings into the MH. More often than not I'm sure most pack for convenience rather than balancing the weight. Drop one side down with excess weight and you change every angle of the suspension resulting in an out of alignment condition.
Another variable is after use the springs take a set changing ride height. This is not so much an issue with air ride as long as everything remains the same.
Throw the 425# mother-in-law on the couch and the MH will pull to that side of the road. You just changed the camber 1/2 degree positive on that side. LOL
Lynn
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
I have the same issue and an alignment won't help. I was at FL in Gaffney and they did the alignment and moved the steering wheel left and right one spline and it was still off a bit just a different way. It's annoying. sometimes on a perfectly flat road with no crown it is straight as an arrow but the comfort steer is influenced a lot by the crown and angle of the road in terms of how it rides, so I find myself steering a bit right and lefty while going straight.
Same with me at Freightliner Gaffney. Mine was off approx 10 degrees. They moved it one tooth the other way and it's now off the same amount the other direction. They did warn be this could happen.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #19

Quote:
... sometimes on a perfectly flat road with no crown it is straight as an arrow but the comfort steer is influenced a lot by the crown and angle of the road...
Just to be clear, the Comfort Drive has absolutely no effect on the POSITION of the steering wheel. It can only change the torque felt by the driver. If the wheel has to be in different places at different times in order to drive straight, the Comfort Drive has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We have had three Dutch Stars with Spartan under them and at one time in there service we had to get them align and one had a steering wheel problem. We have a excellent service center nearby that we have do it that also does our semi's (Peterbilt and Macks) Family run business at the same location for over 50 years father, son and now grandson. I know these kind of places are hard to fine but we have 3 great places within 100 miles of us that we can use and do from time to time
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySally View Post
Anyone had any issues with there steering wheel on there Ventana mine is off center? My new 2016 came in setting at the 2:00 and 8:00 position. Dealer said it was a Freightliner issue so I took it to Freightliner and they said it was fixed to within 5%. Left the Freightliner dealer and the steering was the same as when I took it in. Seems it should be at 3:00 and 9:00 going down the road.
My 1015 Ventana had the same issue. Brought it to a FL shop. They completely checked the alignment and it was spot on. They just removed the steering wheel and put it back on one notch to the left.

Someone at Newmar had a crooked eye and is putting the steering wheels on one spline off on many coaches.

It's an easy quick fix at the FL shop.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
My 1015 Ventana had the same issue. Brought it to a FL shop. They completely checked the alignment and it was spot on. They just removed the steering wheel and put it back on one notch to the left.

Someone at Newmar had a crooked eye and is putting the steering wheels on one spline off on many coaches.

It's an easy quick fix at the FL shop.
They probably should read "Someone at Freightliner had a crooked eye" as I believe the chassis comes into Newmar with the steering wheel already in.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #23

On our 04 Essex when we brought it to Colton Truck a Spartan Service location they checked the alignment which was right on so they removed the steering wheel and center the wheel so at 3 and 9. Worked great.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On our 04 Essex when we brought it to Colton Truck a Spartan Service location they checked the alignment which was right on so they removed the steering wheel and center the wheel so at 3 and 9. Worked great.
Anyone who has done wheel alignments will get a chuckle out of these statements.
The person doing this so called fix is likely paid on flat rate and charging for an alignment. The reason the steering wheel is off Center is because the wheels are pointed off Center. Period. Removing the steering wheel and reposistioning it is a Bandaid, not a fix.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Anyone who has done wheel alignments will get a chuckle out of these statements.
The person doing this so called fix is likely paid on flat rate and charging for an alignment. The reason the steering wheel is off Center is because the wheels are pointed off Center. Period. Removing the steering wheel and reposistioning it is a Bandaid, not a fix.
^^This^^
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #26
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
They probably should read "Someone at Freightliner had a crooked eye" as I believe the chassis comes into Newmar with the steering wheel already in.

I was told Newmar puts the wheel on by Ken Sherwin in another "crooked wheel" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
I was told Newmar puts the wheel on by Ken Sherwin in another "crooked wheel" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

True. The bare chassis arrives from Freightliner or Spartan with a "throwaway" cheap plastic wheel.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #28

Freightliner responce

Freightliner told me that the steering wheel comes in a box from Newmar and that it is a Newmar issue. Also if I wanted Freightliner to correct it I would be charged. So now it is back in Newmar's lap hopefully to be addressed as this is unacceptable in my opinion. I think its all a quality control issue, and certainly this should have been discovered before it left Newmar. So what ever is causing the issue should have been corrected before it left Newmar.

AndySally
AndySally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering