Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Step Cover Lift Motor

Pardon this Nubee if I start a new thread, but the previous ones seemd either old, or got hi-jacked and this is a very specific question. We just got a "new to us" 2002 Dutch Star 4099. Before the dealer told me not to, we stepped on the step cover and bent the shaft. The tech tried to striagten it out, but in short order the shaft snapped at the bend. After reading the threads here I figured out that we would need a DUFF-NORTON LT100-1-100 (the revised version of the LM100-1-100). Some one in one of the threads commented that Newmar said it only would handle 100 lbs which is what it is rated for. I was thinking of replacing it with a LT225-1-100 which is rated for 225 lbs. the length and the shaft range specs look the same. Will this work, as both of us are somewhat vertically challanged, and to operate the awning we really have to lean and streatch over the step well. Its a bit precarious, so if we cant do it with natural ability, I'd prefer to do it with technology. Also, has anyone used a limit switch to cut off the power when the step is full up. Seems like a design fault by Newmar of what is essentially a very well built and engineered coach.
Phoggberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

To my thinking, the rating is for the weight of the step cover. Under normal operations, wouldn't think you would be walking on the cover. We have gotten used to not using ours at all. My motor needs replacing as well, but in 5 yrs have not felt we needed the cover. We had ours stick early on, in the up position, and it was not fun getting out to see what was wrong. Just don't use it.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine disassembled itself early on and rather than fix or replace the thing I removed the motor and all and now just have the step cover in the down position. The few times we did use it was just to see if it worked and then it didn't. If the specs are the same then I do not see any reason why LT225-1-100 wouldn't work. I have compared the two and the only difference is the weight capacity and speed. The LT225 moves slower, about half the speed of the LT100. Other than that they are identical. I would say it should fit and work with no problem.
These steps are not the only thing that doesn't have a limiter cut off. The awnings cut offs were cut so that they didn't work either and sure enough it wasn't long before the door awning no longer worked due to nylon gears stripping.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Mine came apart and stripped threads out. newmar has them (pricey) tried salvage yards with no luck. a salvage yard man told me to get the extended and retracted measurements. do a internet search for 12 volt acutator, he said that the import work as good as the newmar. I did this last year and it worked for me. cant remeber the cost, it was less than a $100.00 w/freight. not that tuff to install, a little frustrating but not bad.
tireman62075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Phoggberg
Duff - Norton does not sell to public newmar sells for 300.00 plus shipping go to
www.firgelliauto.com 129.00 plus shipping. same moter just better.
I ordered lock arm moters from them 119.00 each newmar was 275.00 each
motor model from firglliauto for lock arms FA - 150 - S12 - 4"
missey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last year ours stuck in the up position. I ordered the new, updated number from somewhere on the internet at a cheaper price. I believe the difference between the old and new is the max distance that the piston will travel. I think that was the problem with the old. I don't remember all the details, but found the info here in another post.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

Our is non functional in the down position....I would like to use it, as the dogs tend to
fall into the stairwell on occasion...I posted a new topic on this....looking for how to access
the motor...Thanks
jwcgc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Acessing the step cover

Simply lift the Bottom stair get your hand under the bottom edge and pull towards you. The stair will raise to the up position unless the screw drive is still engaged. Mine is totally loose. If yours is still intact and no power, check the fuse for it.

I have ordered a new Dunn Norton LT150, and after talking with Newmar's VP of Engineering at the Phoenix Rally, Have a solution in mind that will allow one of moderate weight (I am 170 Lbs and already trill tested it) to stand on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Installed the LT150 installation was easy. Works perfectly and I can stand on it (170 lbs).

The secret is to raise the step until the side braces (under the step) go over center which provides the locking function. Hold the button, until the step raises up slightly above floor level and settles backdown. the side mechanism is in full lock. The Dunn Norton LT100-1-150 seems to have the the right amount of throw to do this. I think the LT100-1-100 mentioned in other posts will be too short and bend/break the push rod.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Is anyone able to post pictures of this setup/repair?? Our "new to us" coach is in for a repair as part of the PDI on the unit and the step cover is one of the things that does not work. It will be a deal-breaker if the seller isn't willing to fix.

Thanks for this thread helping me understand how it is supposed to work.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2 Phoggberg.
Congrats on your new to you coach many safe and happy miles for you.
Its best to start a NEW THREAD when you need some information adding it on some other thread it may get lost or no answer for you.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Planocat to irv2.
Congrats on your new to you coach and many safe miles for you also.
It maybe best to ask your question in your coach MFG forum you may get a better answer from your like owners.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoggberg View Post
Installed the LT150 installation was easy. Works perfectly and I can stand on it (170 lbs).

The secret is to raise the step until the side braces (under the step) go over center which provides the locking function. Hold the button, until the step raises up slightly above floor level and settles backdown. the side mechanism is in full lock. The Dunn Norton LT100-1-150 seems to have the the right amount of throw to do this. I think the LT100-1-100 mentioned in other posts will be too short and bend/break the push rod.
The believe the difference between these and the Newmar product is Newmar's has a custom Stroke Length of 121mm.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
The believe the difference between these and the Newmar product is Newmar's has a custom Stroke Length of 121mm.
I got the impression also. I believe the original was an LS100-1-125 which is a 125mm (4.9 in) and is no longer available from the manufacturer. The LT100-1-100 mentioned as a replacement in other posts only has a stroke of 100mm (3.9 in) which is too short to move the side braces into an over center/lock position. Thus when someone steps on the step cover, they are transferring their weight to an actuator that can only hold approx 125 lbs. and thus will break the linear actuator. This is how Newmar is getting a bum rap on their step covers.

Even the Newmar installed ones you have to move the step cover until it raises above the floor level and settles down, so operator error can come into play. Since the new actuators were only available in 100mm and 150mm (5.9in) stroke I opted for the 150mm, figuring I would have to stop it manually. Actually 150mm is at the maximum travel of the lift mechanism, so I can rely on the internal limit switches to stop the lift. So I lucked out there, however because there isn't even 1mm wiggle room you do not want to extend the actuator to its full extent, or you won't be able to put the bolts through the clevises. If mostly extended (i.e. 90%) it is much easier bringing the step lift mechanism to the actuator rod and leaving enough slack to easily slide the bolts through. It took me 10 minutes of fighting with it fully extended to figure that out!