Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
Go to Newmarcorp.com then select resources and click on support in the drop down box, this will open a page. Scroll down and on the left side there is a small comnet window, click and open. Once the page opens enter your coach number in the space that says catalog, then click to open and it will have info on your coach. You can then click on service bulletins and it should open recalls. When you open the step recall the list is there. You can open all other sections and get familiar with the site. Let me know if you need further assistance.
After I posted that I couldn't find it on com-net I went back to com-net and found out that since when I sign in the first time and made a sign in name and password, it would only let me see the general catalog page and didn't offer anything else. I found that if I signed out and signed in using "retail" and the password "retail" I could see all the other options that I have been missing out on with com-net this pasted year! (Coach specific parts, owners manuals, and etc.)
Anyway, In the year I have owner my 2011 CS TH, both the front and rear steps have failed. I was able to fix the front steps myself by replacing the bolt. When the rear step bolt broke, it bent something and now even with the new bolt in it, it won't operate correctly. The steps try to keep extending when they are all the way out and the motor clicks on the gear making the unit shake for a couple seconds, then stops. I have checked all the grounds and the alignment of everything, looks good, it just doesn't stop when it should both going out and in. I am hoping that maybe they can fix it when I take it in for the recall. I am heading out on my first big trip in a week or so, going RVing for at least 7 months, heading west from FL, very excited to finally get out there! I saw that there are several Newmar repair centers along my route so I'll just have to stop by one of those along the way!
Thanks! Pat
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Priherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I got my notice today, but I have the Kwikee Steps on our MH. Kwikee and Lippert aren't one in the same are they? Our steps work fine and like other said not worth the drive to take it in.
Mike, I have been following the recall notice for months and found that the recall relates to the Stromberg Carlson step (spelling??) who is now owned by Lippert. As others have said, the problem is the shoulder bolt does break and the entire step assembly must be removed in order to do the repair. The biggest problem is grinding the spot weld to remove the threaded part of the bolt. The rest is straight forward. But as stated before, the bolt is the problem and recall does not fix it. It just prevents the gears from falling.

From previous info, I believe that the notice applied to ~ 45K motor home of many manufacturers and if some one had purchased a used 2012 - 2014 unit, they most likely will not receive a notice and should do their own research.

Months ago, I did contact Lippert and requested an upgrade to the Kwikee step but at that time they would not do it so I'll investigate the $200 credit.

Pass the word because this is not limited to just Newmar.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

Pat, Your comment "it just doesn't stop when it should both going out and in"Is exactly what my system was doing before it broke. It took me 2 months to convince Lippert that they had a problem and to get them to send me a new bolt, motor, and support plates. If your unit is still binding, you need more than the parts supplied with the recall and they should be liable.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Pat, Your comment "it just doesn't stop when it should both going out and in"Is exactly what my system was doing before it broke. It took me 2 months to convince Lippert that they had a problem and to get them to send me a new bolt, motor, and support plates. If your unit is still binding, you need more than the parts supplied with the recall and they should be liable.
Lass, Who did you contact? Lippert directly or Newmar? And do you have a contact number?
Thanks!!! Pat
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priherd View Post
Lass, Who did you contact? Lippert directly or Newmar? And do you have a contact number?
Thanks!!! Pat
Pat,

Newmar wasn't any help so I called Lippert direct at 574-534-7161 and still have my no charge receipt from 1/19/15.

I haven't read all of the posts so did you confirm that your step model is part of the recall?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Pat,

Newmar wasn't any help so I called Lippert direct at 574-534-7161 and still have my no charge receipt from 1/19/15.

I haven't read all of the posts so did you confirm that your step model is part of the recall?
Yes, I have checked and my step part number is part of the recall and Newmar also has my coach listed for the recall. Thanks for the phone number, I will call them in a few days and see what they say.

Thanks Again! Pat
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #21

Took a look at my steps today, we have model 128980 the first model number listed on the recall. They were made 10-7-08. These steps look exactly like the steps we had on our 2005 KSDP but the recall starts with 2007 RVs.

https://rv-pro.com/news/lippert-reca...ic-entry-steps
Old 03-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a stupid question, but does Lippert own Kwikee too. My step is a Kwikee. No mention of Kwikee in the recall, but I got the recall letter today.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but does Lippert own Kwikee too. My step is a Kwikee. No mention of Kwikee in the recall, but I got the recall letter today.
Don, that's the question I was asking in an earlier post, I got my letter yesterday too, but I also have the Kwikee steps. Funny thing is my letter was dated February 17th. I'm assuming they just sent it as a precaution, as I seem to remember Tom saying something about ordering it with a better step.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #24

You can also do a Google search for TSB 446 and there is a PDF file available with a description of the repairs to be made depending if you have a 2 or 3 step design. It also includes a list of all Newmar units affected.

Our 2009 DutchAire was on the list, To get coverage you contact you local Newmar Dealer who gets authorization from Newmar and then parts are ordered from Lippert.

I agree it seems like a small fix - but without getting it completed on your unit it will show as having a outstanding TSB assigned to your VIN....

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/TSB446.pdf
Old 03-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Must be. If you go to the Lippert web site and search for steps, you will see the Kwikee listed as the only choice.

What I don'y understand is since the recall started with the shoulder bolts breaking on the Stromberg steps, why is Kwikee included?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #26

Take a look at the instructions for bracket install. Take a look at your Kwikee steps and see if they are the same. It would be interesting to know. The kwikee step has a integrated gear box and does not have the exposed gear, other wise it looks a lot like the Coach step. Kwikee manual has Oregon as where the manufacture is. Lippert, Stromberg Carlson listed as Traverse City, MI.
It is odd that they would be offering $200 toward a Kwikee step if they are not connected somehow. The Kwikee steps seem to be much cheaper on google.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ges/TSB446.pdf

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterio...svc_manual.pdf
Old 03-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I called Lippert this morning. The Kwikee steps are not part of the recall.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
I called Lippert this morning. The Kwikee steps are not part of the recall.
Thanks Don.....that's good news.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall