Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Steps don't extend

The steps have decided they don't want to extend anymore. Probably hacked by the Russians. I have power going to the motor and the step light works but I can't get to the actuator with the steps up and I can't extend them manually. Any ideas other than a crow bar? Just kidding folks.
Keep Smiling,
Bob
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Door switch
Thortogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

Are you certain there is 12vdc at the motor and not just at the controller?

I ask this because the way steps work is that the controller sends power to the motor. When the steps fully extend or retract, they hit an end of travel hard stop which causes the motor current to spike. Within a fraction of a second, the controller shuts the motor off. A similar high current and subsequent shutdown also occurs if the steps are bound up.

The only way that the motor can have voltage for more than a fraction of a second and the steps not move is if you have a mechanical failure in the gearbox or linkage.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Just went through this on our Kwikie steps. Wiring checked out good, light on. Pullled the horizontal drive arm cotter pin from above top step to release steps. Remove 3 vertical bolts to remove gearbox and motor. Remove 4 screws to separate gearbox from motor. Then I pulled armature out of motor case, cleaned the brushes and where they contact the armature, added a little new grease and reassembled. Took 30 minutes and problem fixed. BTW, disconnect power to the motor before starting to prevent accidental activation. This assumes the steps are well lubed and not bent or jammed in the up position.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine wont stay open... I have to remove the magnet on the screen door when we get set up to keep them open... if not they close every time you close the door.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Thanks for all the good info. Had to take the MH in for service today and the steps worked fine. Going to disassemble everything when I get it back as suggested by Stephen. Sounds like a good, interesting project.
Keep Smiling,
Bob R
Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
Mine wont stay open... I have to remove the magnet on the screen door when we get set up to keep them open... if not they close every time you close the door.
There's usually a switch to keep them open and prevent the repeated cycling while parked. However, starting the engine (or turning on the key) will over ride that switch. If you have the switch in the correct position but it doesn't work you might want to check out the wiring to the ignition switch. If you don't have a switch, that's strange.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
The steps have decided they don't want to extend anymore. Probably hacked by the Russians. I have power going to the motor and the step light works but I can't get to the actuator with the steps up and I can't extend them manually. Any ideas other than a crow bar? Just kidding folks.
Keep Smiling,
Bob
You can unplug the motor and connect 12VDC directly to the motor. Connected one way will extend the steps and reversing polarity will retract the steps. Don't keep power connected after the steps reach full in or full out or you might burn up the motor. Directly powering the motor will eliminate all control boards and switches and let you know if the problem is in the motor. If so, a new one is around $60 on Amazon. On mine, when the steps were stuck in it was almost impossible to even get to anything to work on it because the retracted steps covered up all the motor mounting hardware.

WARNING - whenever working on the steps be sure you are always clear of the steps and mechanisms. When that motor starts turning there is a lot of power involved and can easily trap a hand, finger or your torso under the steps or in the moving arms.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

If they work intermittently try cleaning the ground wires. A little bit of corrosion will cause this problem.

Wayne
Wayne67vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #10

Pulled the motor assy (Really big PITA, would have been easier to lug the battery to the steps) and ascertained that everything worked by applying power to it. This pretty well isolates the problem down to the Kwikee step module that has all the wiring centralized in it or the door switch or the ignition interlock. How have y'all narrowed the problem down from this point?
Bob

Tags
steps