Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Steps not retracting - System thinks door is closed

Yesterday the DW and I began our first trip in our new MADP. When we arrived at our first stopover, the stairs would not extend when the door was opened. I talked to Newmar and Lippert this afternoon and after taking some voltage readings at the wire connector leading to the steps, it appeared that the steps were getting power on the correct wires. We then discovered what appeared to be a incorrect wiring (red wire connected to yellow and yellow wire connected to red) further down the path where the wires connect to the step motor. I’m working with Newmar to have a tech in NC take a look at / repair this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7638.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	190151

I’m not convinced that this colored wire mismatch is the problem since everything has work fine for the past month. I downloaded the Kwikee manual and started going through the troubleshooting process.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...3010001164.pdf

I was checking the voltage between the red and brown wires (figure 5 of PDF) and I have 12V with the door closed AND open. According to the document I should only have 12V when the door is closed. Thus, the steps and not sensing the door being opened. So, this takes me to the door switch. I have brass push type contacts which seem to be for door locks, but I’m not sure if these are also the contacts that the vehicle used to sense where the door is opened or closed for the steps. I don’t see any other switches on the door jamb, but in reading others posts I wonder if there are some magnetic type switches.

I don’t expect to hear back from Newmar until Monday, so any guidance on the problem would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #2

I'll go for the low7 hanging fruit. What position is the step switch in your control panel in? If it's in the Off position the steps will only move when the ignition is turned on and the door closed. In the On position they will move with the ignition off and the door is opened or closed.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have your coach, but I do have those push button contacts on the door jamb and same step......so I can confirm that those are the door closed sensor.

(I wired another switch in parallel with that push button contacts/switch, which when the contacts on my switch are closed makes the steps think that the door is closed. I use it when pulling in close to a curb, so I can prevent the steps from deploying. Allows me to open the door, and the steps don't go out and hit the curb.)
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I figured out that I can get the steps to extend if the door is CLOSED, the override switch is ON, and the ignition switch is on. I would not expect the steps to go into an extended position with the door closed and the ignition key on. To retract the steps, I can move the override switch to off (with ignition off and the door opened or closed).
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I don't have your coach, but I do have those push button contacts on the door jamb and same step......so I can confirm that those are the door closed sensor.

(I wired another switch in parallel with that push button contacts/switch, which when the contacts on my switch are closed makes the steps think that the door is closed. I use it when pulling in close to a curb, so I can prevent the steps from deploying. Allows me to open the door, and the steps don't go out and hit the curb.)

So I have another related problem in that the entrance lights don’t come on when the door is opened. It was working intermittently, but hasn’t worked in about a week. Thinking that the problem may be a bad ground on that door contact, I pulled the switch out to check for good connections. I noticed that both wires were labeled “Door Unlock” and when I reinstalled the dual contact switch, I accidental installed it upside down and the door lock/unlock capability no longer worked correctly. Unlocking the doors actually causes the door to lock. For this reason I was thinking that this switch was merely for the door locks (power pass through) and not for sensing whether the door was open or closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7645.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	190162

So if the contact is for sensing whether the door is open or closed does continuity between the two wires indicated the door is closed?

Given the symptoms I am seeing, I’m still a bit perplexed as to what my issue really is.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #6

On my rig (yes I see you looking at my signature below the post to see what rig I have - you should put your info in your signature - do this in your profile area) the switch is on the door jamb and the magnet is on the screen door. I don't know if they changed this in later years.
With the door open read across the door jamb contacts and see if you have continuity or not. If you do, close the screen door and see if you can read across the contacts to see if they changed to "no continuity".
I don't think the switches are "directional", so installing it upside down shouldn't matter. They are controlled by the magnet on the door. Some of the systems require a normally open switch and some require a normally closed.
My system works like this - I get settled into my camping spot and turn off the engine. Then with the door open and the steps extended, I flip the over ride switch off. Then when I close the door the steps stay out.
If I start the engine (or turn the key on) with the door open everything stays the same but the steps retract when I close the door, even with the over-ride switch on. They stay in (with key on) even if you open the door so be careful. Turn the key off and open the door to see if they open again - they won't with the switch on. You need to "climb in" (if outside) and turn the switch off. My buddy has a 99 DSDP and had to buy new steps and the type of switch required changed from one type (N.O. or N.C.) to the other, so be aware.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

Check the magnetic switch. That is what they do when they fsil
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The switch picture I posted doesn’t seem to be a magnetic switch. I don’t see any other switches/contacts. Are you referring to the switch that I posted a picture of or am I not seeing some other switch?
Old 01-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

Check ground wire from steps to chassis. I have a 2017 DSDP and the lights in stair well and steps would not work. My husband layed on the ground and traced wires and sure enough the ground was very loose. Stay out of the way of the steps if they start working. Tightened all good steps work and so do lights in stair well! I even called Newmar and told them my findings.
DanleyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #10

I ve had 2 magnets fall off my screen door. Different homes
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #11

Magnet switches are on lower right side as you are exiting the coach. Almost near the bottom of the door jam. They look like a rubber plug
Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
The switch picture I posted doesn’t seem to be a magnetic switch. I don’t see any other switches/contacts. Are you referring to the switch that I posted a picture of or am I not seeing some other switch?
I am not sure what the contacts in the pic are for, maybe a security system?
Check your screen door.
Being your coach is a 2018 I would think it is a ground issue. Too new for mag switch to fail I would think. As mentioned, when you're working around the steps be prepared for them to open or close.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I am not sure what the contacts in the pic are for, maybe a security system?
Check your screen door.
Being your coach is a 2018 I would think it is a ground issue. Too new for mag switch to fail I would think. As mentioned, when you're working around the steps be prepared for them to open or close.
On my LA I replaced the mag switch after 4 months. Easy to diagnose
Old 01-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #14

Steps not retracting - System thinks door is closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post

Reference your picture in post #5. That switch is supplied by “Dakota” tech and in some cases replaces the magnetic switch that others are referring to. Remove the frame side of the switch and if it looks like my picture posted that is your magnetic switch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	190207

Post pictures of both sides removed from the coach with wires still connected. Newmar will confirm if it’s you switch or for power door locks.

Tags
door, steps