Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Steps refuse to stay in!

08 Dutch Star - Went to the coach today and was surprised to see the entry step extended. Long story short, the step will close as it should and then about 1-3 seconds later extend again and stay open. I fired up the Cummins as that was always a sure way to make the steps stay in, but - they went in when the door closed, and came right back out again(with the door still closed). Never had this happen before. Crawled underneath and touched the LCI control box wires and the step came in and then went back out again. Did it again and nothing happened the 2nd time. I'm thinking bad LCI control box? Any thoughts anyone? Thanks- Mark

08 DSDP 4354 ISL 425 hp, 12 wrangler/blue ox
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be careful working under there with the steps acting as they are.
You may only need to do some cleaning of plugs and checking for some ground wiring loose connections.
Here are some diagrams of the steps if they are Kwikee and here are some for Lippert found in QT's # 3 under step information.
What is the step switch set at in your display area?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Give Lippert a call, the techs are really good.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the magnetic switch on your door is mis-adjusted, loose, or bad. The steps will open any time the door shows open (magnetic switch controls this). Get one on Amazon for about $10, just replaced mine last week.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks 007 - I'm going to take a look tomorrow (Saturday) at the ground situation under there. I read the Lippert information thanks to your referral and some other posts and it seems that a bad ground is often the problem. Thanks again - If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll check out the mag switch. thanks brockx
Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Check out my thread on this very symptom: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/lets...on-200970.html
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MCJones,
The solution all depends on why the steps are coming back out. Is the motor activating and opening the steps or are they just mechanically coming out on their own?

Looking only at the mechanical solution, I have helped owners with this problem. For some reason a lack of lubrication will make the steps come out on their own. As best I can tell it has to do with the leverage point the motor has (or doesn't have) on the cam. In every situation, soaking the cam and its' teeth and small motor gear teeth with the spray lubricant of your choice has corrected the problem. This may be a simple and cheap solution before moving on the more complicated recommendations.

The advise 007 provided to be very careful when working on the steps is valid. The steps are one of the most dangerous components to work on. When they move (in or out) they can cause serious injury.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you everyone - I think it may be fixed. The reason I'm not sure is because it is quite a bit warmer today and there is still a chance the control board is bad and temperature sensitive. I went over and cleaned/reconnected the ground. After that it still didn't work. My door has two brass contacts on the door frame, and then mating contacts on the door when it closes. I unscrewed the frame contact unit and as I looked at it one wire pulled off - or was off behind the unit. Both contacts have a push on connect that slides over the machine screw connected to the brass contact. Wires are very short so I wasn't sure if I pulled them off or it was off. I carefully used needle nose pliers to push the connector over the screw and put the unit back on the door frame. The door side of the connector has a very secure connection behind the brass contact and they were tight. I turned the door power back on and gave it a try - viola worked. But by now it was a lot warmer out 70 degrees and I'm holding my breath to see what happens when it gets cold again. Maybe I've got it - we'll see. thanks again, mark PS - mechanically and motor wise, everything seems to be right.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your inner (Screen) door. if it is bent out just enough at the bottom teh magnetic reed switch may not be operated by the magnet and the steps THINK the door is out. To test, leave the step switch in the "Follows door" position (On or off, whicever one you use when you want the steps to come in)

Close door.. if they go in and come out (Remain outside) push in on the bottom of the screen door, latchside, if they go in and stay in.. You found it.... To adjust, use hands and .. well, Adjust (Bend)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
08 Dutch Star - Went to the coach today and was surprised to see the entry step extended. Long story short, the step will close as it should and then about 1-3 seconds later extend again and stay open. I fired up the Cummins as that was always a sure way to make the steps stay in, but - they went in when the door closed, and came right back out again(with the door still closed). Never had this happen before. Crawled underneath and touched the LCI control box wires and the step came in and then went back out again. Did it again and nothing happened the 2nd time. I'm thinking bad LCI control box? Any thoughts anyone? Thanks- Mark

08 DSDP 4354 ISL 425 hp, 12 wrangler/blue ox
Same thing just happened to us. (Lots of honking and pointing on I95!) When I got home I crawled under and after much looking and wire checking I rapped the motor with the handle of a screwdriver and that did it - has been working for a month. I ordered a new motor to keep for next time. Then I will work on the old motor at my leisure.
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, steps