Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Steps stuck in

The steps on our 2017 Ventana LE are stuck. They will not extend. Any words of advice?
Sojourners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sojourners,
Do you hear the motor run? If not, find the fuse and check it. If so repost here. The fuse may be in the fuse block in the outside bay under the driver. You will need a magnifying glass to read the fuse legend.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourners View Post
The steps on our 2017 Ventana LE are stuck. They will not extend. Any words of advice?
I just went through this myself, called Newmar and they had me check the fuses in the compartment below the driver's seat and then behind the cord reel. There is a fuse chart on the back of the plastic protector behind the cord reel so you know which one to check. All that checked good so I then used a voltmeter to test whether or not 12V was getting to the step switch/relay under the steps (had to crawl under). I was getting power. I was stumped so I drove off, I was out of time. I stopped to connect the toad and it worked. In my case it was just seized from non use in storage for a while, I lubed it up and it's been working since. You may have a failed motor, take pictures of the labeling under the stairs and post here and we can probably help you find replacement parts far cheaper than what you'll get from Newmar. I got a spare motor on Amazon for around $80 and Newmar wants near $300 for the motor and related parts.

Try spraying some lube on the joints then tap it and see if you can jar it free again.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

Entry steps

Our Kwikee steps broke on Tuesday. The motor worked but the gears were stripped. A mobile tech replaced the gear unit. Calling Lippert (via Newmar) may be useful to help diagnose your problem.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Here is the trouble-shooting guide. In my case it was the door magnetic switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee-Step-Troubleshooting-Flow-Chart.pdf (1.16 MB, 33 views)
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps