Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Still Ground Faulting

This is a follow up to several other threads I have posted.

What happened:
Took coach to Cummins, disconnected house batteries with switch in cabinet.
Batteries disconnected for 4 weeks.
Brought coach home.
Added a Flow Rite system to the batteries.
Plugged in 50A to 30A to 15A via extension cord into a 20A GFI outlet.
Thought it was getting electric, but it wasn't. GFI tripped multiple times trying to plug back in.
Tripped second GFI outlet.
Worked in a non GFI 20A outlet without tripping circuit breaker.

What I have done to try to remedy this:
Using a multi meter checked output of outlet and throughout each connection 120V all the way to the 50A end of the dog bone.
Used a 10 gauge extension cord. Still tripped 2 GFI outlets.
Charged batteries via generator several time, each time it bulk charges then absorption then float.
Ensured fluid level in batteries is where it needs to be via Flow Rite system.

I am at a loss as the coach from late September to early January when plugged in at home previously did not trip the GFI except once and that was weather related.

I am pulling the coach out of the backyard tonight so I can get into the battery compartment in case something is not attached properly.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

My first three RVs , ( fifth wheels ) would operate on a GFI house outlet without tripping , my last 5er and current coach will not.

The manufacturer of the last 5er, ( 2005 bought new) could not help with the issue , but I've since heard that because the RV has internal GFI outlets , that they conflict with the GFI outlet on the house causing that one to trip.
It's been over 12 years since I owned the RV that wouldn't trip the house GFI , so I can't say for sure if it was equipped with internal GFI outlets being that it was a 2000 model.
Shut down the circuits in the RV that have the GFIs at the breaker panel and plug into the house , if the house GFI doesn't trip , then JMHO , you don't have a problem , just an anomaly , that it worked without tripping in the first place.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

I've noticed that if there are multiple GFI's in line with each other that I got tripping. Example, I had a multi 6 output Belkin device that had an embedded GFI. When I plugged it into a circuit that was on a GFI run within the trailer the primary GFI would trip. So GFI's in series may be part of the problem. Did anything within the coach, outlets, multi outlet adapters change between now and last year when you were plugged into the same outlet that is now tripping?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

How many amps are you drawing ? Is the Magnum set to indicate 15 amp input ?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
How many amps are you drawing ? Is the Magnum set to indicate 15 amp input ?
Yes set to 15A shore power. I think because I have some corrosion on my batteries, the convertor is trying to draw full 15A at startup and tripping the GFI. Batteries check out with a multi meter 6.2V each or 12.4 in each pair. Hoping to clean the corrosion tonight. Works fine on a 20A non GFI outlet.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

Spoke with Newmar, they think I may have a bad battery or cell. They suggested to charge for 24 hours and recheck in 6 hours layer and to load test them as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Also try setting Magnum to 10amps. Maybe the GFCI is actually doing its job and someplace you have small short, maybe just a single strand of wire, that is tripping the GFCI.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

If there is a neutral wire anywhere in the coach touching the ground wire, or chassis it will trip an external GFI
L Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
GFI's have always been problematic when used as a power source for and RV. IMO just hook to a standard 15/20AMP outlet, unless you're getting a shock when touching metal on the coach while standing on the ground.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Could also be some moisture collected inside a panel or outlet box somewhere. Takes very little to trip a GFI breaker.
Good Luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I was a betting man and you have a power reel I would say the problem lies there. Just my 2 cents. I had something similar where I had moisture behind the connector on my fifth wheel and would always trip the GFCI.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #12

Multiple GFCIs can not possibly interfere with each other. There is a simple explanation for your problem.

GFIs and GFCIs work by comparing the current flowing in the hot line with the current flowing in the neutral. If those two currents are not (almost) exactly the same, then some current is going someplace it shouldn't, and the GFI quickly shuts off the power.

If that stray current happens to be flowing through you, then having the power shut off in a few milliseconds, is a really good thing. In your case, somewhere in the RV, the neutral and the ground lines are tied together. That will allow some of the "return" current to flow through the ground wire of your shore power cable, instead of through the neutral wire.

This is harmless, but the GFI doesn't know that. It detects that there is some stray current, but it is not able to determine where that stray current is going, or that, in this case, it is harmless.

There are varrying schools of though as to whether the ground an neutral should be connected in the RV.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a surge protector in coach?
Disconnect the fridge cord from its outlet, the rv fridge electric elements if bad can short out to its casing tripping a GFI outlet your coach is plugged into.
Some info on grounding in this link.
All the links below in my signature have info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #14

There are numerous reasons for a GFI to trip that are not safety issues. The net result is that power outlets at campgrounds are not connected to a GFI so why would you expect to do it at home? For the record, the 20 amp accessory socket at the campground is for folks in a tent not a camper. That is why it has a GFI. They are in contact with the ground when they do their thing. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote