Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

Stolen 2017 London Aire with stacker

I am posting this for a friend. This is not my coach, but it did have a bunch of my equipment in it!

------------------------
STOLEN: GMG’s 2017 Newmar Motorcoach and 2006 24ft Rance Stacker Trailer, taken on Sunday afternoon from the Orange County, CA location. Please call GMG at (714)432-1582

Rear trailer has been wrapped with Montana plates. Motorcoach has temporary plates.
-----------------------

Please be on the look out! This was stolen yesterday from Orange County, CA.

Thank you for your help!

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17523017_1475926052419826_4553595888017434423_n.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	157062  
georgeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty hard to miss that beauty. I'd guess it will be painted shortly.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If I may ask, how was it stolen?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

It was parked in the GMG lot in OC. That being said the actually way it was stolen is still a mystery. I would guess someone broke the door window, entered the coach and then "hotwired" it.

I say "hotwired" because after thinking about this - I believe that most of the RV industry is fairly low tech compared to the car industry. I don't believe either FL or Spartan has key coding in their ignition. My guess is they ripped apart the dash or screw drivered into it and turned it. I don't know this for a fact, just my hunch.

Now being an owner of a 2017 LADP myself, I am really concerned. Any thoughts on the security of the chassis would be helpful. I am going to investigate a lojack and an alarm asap. Any comments on the security of the coach would be welcome.
georgeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post

Now being an owner of a 2017 LADP myself, I am really concerned. Any thoughts on the security of the chassis would be helpful. I am going to investigate a lojack and an alarm asap. Any comments on the security of the coach would be welcome.
My thoughts have always been for a vehicle with air parking brakes would be to add another air valve in the parking brake system in a hidden location. They may get the engine started but if they can't release the parking brakes their not going far.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #6

Sorry to hear this about your friend - that's horrible. I would think with a coach of that value, Lojack is probably a smart idea if you're not full-timing in it.

That's a smart idea too Red.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

That sucks for you and the GMG Team
Hopefully you didn't have a race car in the trailer
jerome951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #8

As a security note: All coaches with keyless entry pads have a dealer code in the pad. Just changing or putting in your own code doesn't erase the dealer code.

If you know the code, all coaches are yours to tour.

Read you manual to learn how to erase the dealer code.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
It was parked in the GMG lot in OC. That being said the actually way it was stolen is still a mystery. I would guess someone broke the door window, entered the coach and then "hotwired" it.

I say "hotwired" because after thinking about this - I believe that most of the RV industry is fairly low tech compared to the car industry. I don't believe either FL or Spartan has key coding in their ignition. My guess is they ripped apart the dash or screw drivered into it and turned it. I don't know this for a fact, just my hunch.

In lieu of the air valve suggestion, it should be pretty simple to add a valve in the fuel line prior to the fuel filters. I have been planning on doing this myself so I can change fuel filters without fuel constantly running while I get the new filters in place. Turning off the valve would starve the engine of fuel. Wouldn't take a lot of time to find the valve, but time isn't what a thief would want to spend while jacking a coach! An upgrade would be to put in an electrically actuated fuel valve with a switch in the cockpit innocuously labeled as something totally unrelated. Maybe "courtesy light, or some such. Must be in a certain position in order to be open. That way you could get in the habit of turning switch off (or on) anything you leave the coach as a fail safe to backup the ignition key. Just a thought.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
In lieu of the air valve suggestion, it should be pretty simple to add a valve in the fuel line prior to the fuel filters. I have been planning on doing this myself so I can change fuel filters without fuel constantly running while I get the new filters in place. Turning off the valve would starve the engine of fuel. Wouldn't take a lot of time to find the valve, but time isn't what a thief would want to spend while jacking a coach! An upgrade would be to put in an electrically actuated fuel valve with a switch in the cockpit innocuously labeled as something totally unrelated. Maybe "courtesy light, or some such. Must be in a certain position in order to be open. That way you could get in the habit of turning switch off (or on) anything you leave the coach as a fail safe to backup the ignition key. Just a thought.
Another option is to put a hidden or mislabeled switch in the starter circuit. No cranky, no go. I did that on a TransAm special edition pace car I once owned.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hate to hear this! This sure is happening a lot. Haven't heard what the outcome was of the recent ones either. Incredible.

Hope things work out quickly for you guys.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:03 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
A number of OEM/aftermarket alarm systems disable a fuel pump/starter circuit (relay).
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
A number of OEM/aftermarket alarm systems disable a fuel pump/starter circuit (relay).
My F-350 had a relay with a remote. The remote had to be activated before the relay would work. I have that in my garage....I wonder if it would work in my new F53 Winnie?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Diesel engines are turned off by a fuel solenoid which cuts off the fuel. This is operated by your "ignition" switch. All you need to do is wire another switch into the same circuit and hide the other switch. This will shut off all fuel to the engine unless it is in the go position. All this should be able to be done in the front of the coach near the starter switch, so no difficult fuel runs.

My question is, what is the thief going to do with this monster? It is awfully risky to use or sell it, and too big to hide.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote