Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Stop Engine Warning

Today I was returning from a short trip when suddenly I heard an Alarm Bell. A quick check of my Dash, I noticed an message that stated "Stop Engine". I immediately started for the side of the road and as I was pulling over, I checked Oil Pressure, Battery Charging and Temp Gauges. Everything looked OK. Once Stopped, I shut off the engine and checked the engine compartment for anything obvious. Nothing seemed unusual. I then went back to the coach and started the engine to see if it would start. It did and the alarm sounded again for about 5 seconds then quit. I let the engine idle for a while and decided that it must have been a faulty sensor. I continued on the trip. Two additional times, this alarm sounded and within a moment, stopped. As I said, all gauges read "GOOD" and the engine responded well. Has anyone ever experienced this and (other than get to a mechanic) does anyone have any suggestions?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

I should also mention that I was running the Dash AC. Once I turned it off, there were no additional alarms. This could be just a coincidence.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stop Engine Warning

I concede your sequence sounds as if it could have been a faulty sensor. However, analysis is difficult as you gave absolutely no information re chassis, engine, or coach. Frankly, whether you ride on a Spartan or a Freightliner, or other, I'm a bit surprised that your first action was not a direct call to the appropriate response line. I mean, I troubleshoot stuff myself also, but most alarms are tones, and most warning lights tell you a system to look at. But a bell? And a red warning light that says "STOP ENGINE"? In most warning protocols red lights and bells are serious. Well, my first action would have been to call Freightliner.

Good luck?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #4

Wow..... I feel like I have been reprimanded. I am so sorry that I used the term "Alarm Bell" instead of the apparently appropriate "Alarm Tone". I also don't recall a "Red" warning light. I simply saw a display that said "Stop Engine". This being Sunday and me not being a mechanic, I thought I would seek the knowledge of the Forum members. Maybe I should just not say anything and go to a knowledgeable mechanic.
Sorry to have bothered you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think some of the warnings you were receiving could be serious and a help line could have a answer for you.
With the AC dash off would indicate to me that you may have a false reading of engine coolant and the over heat of that is what maybe causing you the problem.
Some engines had a site glass to check fluid level when it was hot and people also had false indications that all was alright but wasn't.
Other's will chime in with their thoughts so look for their insight.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My apologies, JB. It was not my intent to be heavy-handed. I read your post on my phone, so got no sig data, and "Stop Engine" does seem rather unequivocal. But it's no one's place here to reprimand, so I apologize for seeming to.

The asking of questions is the meat of the forum, and the finding of solutions benefits all. Please keep us posted on the outcome.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
JBrockey,

I have had the same warning and it was on a Sunday also. The first thing I did was to check into this forum and ask the same question. I also asked a trucker that was parked next to me at the truck stop... he knew as much as me (nothing). The forum members helped and I did just what you did as the member suggested; check oil, coolant, etc. We all decided to ignore and continue. At some point the red light warning went away on it own...

Unfortunitely, I have to helpful information, just empathy...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/stuc...ng-108144.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/stop...ml#post1005484
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrockey View Post
Today I was returning from a short trip when suddenly I heard an Alarm Bell. A quick check of my Dash, I noticed an message that stated "Stop Engine". I immediately started for the side of the road and as I was pulling over, I checked Oil Pressure, Battery Charging and Temp Gauges. Everything looked OK. Once Stopped, I shut off the engine and checked the engine compartment for anything obvious. Nothing seemed unusual. I then went back to the coach and started the engine to see if it would start. It did and the alarm sounded again for about 5 seconds then quit. I let the engine idle for a while and decided that it must have been a faulty sensor. I continued on the trip. Two additional times, this alarm sounded and within a moment, stopped. As I said, all gauges read "GOOD" and the engine responded well. Has anyone ever experienced this and (other than get to a mechanic) does anyone have any suggestions?
I had the (almost) exact same thing happen my last trip. Everything running fine, then Check Engine warning came on. Pulled over, checked everything, it all looked good, re-started and ran another hour or so before it happened again. Never had a problem with power, smoke, or roughness. Got to Cummins, they checked the codes and turns out it popped the code for the EGR. Have an appointment next Monday, but won't know if it's the valve or the tubes until they get into it. We discussed the problem and Cummins said the warning shuts off when the "clog" clears. It will get worse with time, first symptom when it gets worse - the engine will start smoking, then loose power. IMHO you should get the codes read and see what the engine is trying to tell you. The fact that it clears up doesn't mean that the code is gone.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Check engine, and stop engine are terms that seem to be intermingled here. JBrockey said stop engine, and that's a serious one. It doesn't matter the model, the chassis, or the other factors, you stop! Now, to analyze it, when it is not a "fake" takes some doing, and even when the computers of a Technician are attached it is not always a success. Many of us, me included, have had the misfortune of having this light/warning/sound come on, for no apparent reason. But, one must stop, shut down, and check. The first two times this happened to me, my fan belts were shredded beyond recognition!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #10

Just wanted to give an update to those that offered suggestions on my "Stop Engine Warning". The repair shop discovered that I was low on Coolant. They ran a pressure test on the system and found three small leaks. Replaced some hoses and filled with coolant. Everything is all good again. Thanks for all the help that was given.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I had a "stop engine" signal on an 07 cummins 400 and it was also for low coolant - same problem and solution. On my coach I presently own, I've learned that if I read the dash code resulting from a check engine or stop engine signal then I can call Spartan and they will tell me on the phone what that code refers to. IF I turn off the engine, then the code is saved somewhere, and I can no longer read the code on my dash. SO... if I can, I stop quickly and try to get the code written down befor having to shut down. I know if it is 'stop engine' you may not feel you can take that long but, if other gauges look ok, and your mh gives you the codes on the dash it really lets you know immediately what is up. My code indicated high crank case pressure which meant I had to replace the crank case filter. My coach is an 08 Dutch Star 425 cummins. This has only happened once so far with the Newmar and my hope is that it is many miles before I worry about it again. By the way ,a mechanic told me that an over filled crank case can throw that code also.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that follow up Jim glad it did not get any more serious than what it was.
Enjoy the rest of the summer and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
I had the (almost) exact same thing happen my last trip. Everything running fine, then Check Engine warning came on. Pulled over, checked everything, it all looked good, re-started and ran another hour or so before it happened again. Never had a problem with power, smoke, or roughness. Got to Cummins, they checked the codes and turns out it popped the code for the EGR. Have an appointment next Monday, but won't know if it's the valve or the tubes until they get into it. We discussed the problem and Cummins said the warning shuts off when the "clog" clears. It will get worse with time, first symptom when it gets worse - the engine will start smoking, then loose power. IMHO you should get the codes read and see what the engine is trying to tell you. The fact that it clears up doesn't mean that the code is gone.
Had a similar event with my 07 MA. Turned out to be the EGR. If it is, be prepared... Mine was $1200 for the part plus a couple of hours labour. This was NOT covered by my Extended Service Policy as it was considered an emission part which was Excluded from the policy.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We are having the same problem and did call the manufacturer (Cummins) they identified the codes, but the problem still exists after checking our coolant levels?
G Charron is offline   Reply With Quote