Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Storage Question

I live In Ontario, Canada and am not yet at a point where we can head south for the winter.
We picked up our new to us DS in April.
Not that I want summer to come to an end or anything, but I am just thinking ahead a bit.

For those in northern climates who store their units outside, do you use a cover?

Thanks
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just my 2 cents but I think putting a cover on it just brings extra troubles. Condensation, critters, cost of the cover, the hassle putting it on and taking it off, storing it, etc. I guess if you cover your car when you leave it out, you might cover your rig too.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:55 AM   #3

If possible try and stretch your budget and find some type of inside storage, even just a warehouse not heated but out of the elements. I've stored my last 2 coaches inside semi-heated and it sure is nice.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

We live in Montreal and although we now leave our DS in SC for the winter we stored our previous Allegro Bus outside near Montreal for a number of winters. I would not recommend covering it for the reasons mentionned prebiously as well as the scratching that could occur from the rubbing of the cover against the paint in windy conditions. If you do not have shore power I would also recommend not starting it up unnecessarily as this will drain the battery and it will not be able to revover in the cold temps even by running it for an extended period. I did it the first year and ended up with dead batteries. Subsequently I let the solar panel (which I cleaned off as often as possible ) maintain the batteries and started up when ready to use in the Spring. Make sure your fuel tank is full. Do not top up your house batteries just prior to storage as the water will nit convert to acid and will ruin the batteries when freezing. Lastly make sure you properly winterize your plumbing preferably with residential antifreeze ( washer, ice maker and water distributor as welk as dishwashee if appropriate). Oh yes; do put a few if the anti-critter pouches here and there to prevent them from taking up residence in your coach.
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our 2003 Monaco Camelot 40PST in June this year and my first thought was, where am I going to find affordable indoor storage for this thing. Problem solved. About a mile from our home is the county fairgrounds. They have a large hog barn with a concrete floor that is used one week a year and has a 14' door. They gave me a key and let me use it for $100 per month, and only for the months I need it (we plan to go South for a couple months this winter). They were actually kind of surprised when I approached them. They said no one had ever asked before, but they could see no reason not to.
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage