RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #1
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Storing a shotgun

In preparation for my future Alaska trip (thanks NWIP) and watching related YouTube videos (my fav source for learning) I learned about taking guns through Canada to Alaska where handguns are out, sporting guns (26in or longer if I recall) are allowed. As I don't have a thing for bears and think they may have a thing for me, I need some help with food chain defenses. So I bought a shotgun (Remington 870). The question is where is the best place to store this? It has a lock mechanism (keyed) that is in use. My thoughts, still have to test, is actually mount wall hooks on the side of the bed frame, side wall of the storage area, aft/bathroom side so it's hidden. The other option is the bathroom cabinet but it would need to be secured there to avoid crashing through the door and causing damage, and lastly, under the bed in the storage is another option.

I can also see using the shotgun for any CG area skeet ranges for some camping activities. On another note I just bought fishing gear and have gotten back into fishing which is a fun CG activity I'm enjoying. So far two CG's are no license required catch and release so that's been fun.

Where are you storing or would you store a shotgun if on board?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
...a shotgun (Remington 870). The question is where is the best place to store this? ...

I would build a false back in a wardrobe cabinet. Foam to keep the firearm from rattling, magnetic catches to hold the false front in place.

More to prevent a thief or a child from finding it then anything else.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

I have carried one under the bed, but obviously this isn't a self-defense location. May work for your purposes though. You also may want to consider pepper spray if only for bears.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What paper work do you have to have to legally carry a shotgun into/through Canada.

When we went to Canada, and after doing much research we opted to buy the legal size Bear Spray. We also had a couple smaller self defense spays that we kept in the front draw of the motorhome but found these were not legal in Canada and gave them away just before we crossed.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a spot between the sidestand and mattress platform that my KSG fits very nicely. No kids, no wife and the cats aren't interested. If I was going to Canada or Alaska through Canada I'd take what I think is an 870 salt water resistant coated 12 ga.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
... we opted to buy the legal size Bear Spray. We also had a couple smaller self defense spays that we kept in the front draw of the motorhome ....

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I do have bear spray and take it with me anytime in areas where there may be bears. Alaska I want to have a little more defense such as something trying to get into the RV or who knows what. Bells are a great idea, also talking or making noise.

In Air Force land survival we were in Spokane, WA in the field for 4 days in groups of two. Came across a lot of bear scat still steaming. I was more naive back then but I think the gist is they heard us and took off before we ever had an encounter. I'm just going to take all precautions and be prepared for the worst.

I would imagine Bear spray is a last defense such as close encounters. I hope to never be within bear spray range hoping it works.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
As an active skeet competitor, we carry 1-3 shotguns with us much of the time. All are cased and stored under the bed. If I may suggest, trying to find a way to keep your 870 instantly available, yet reasonably secure, will be very difficult. And, it is probably unnecessary.

For bear protection, you will only the shotgun when you are stopped. Not many recorded instances of a bear chasing down a moving motorhome and breaking in!

You might look at one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/ShotLock-SECS...gateway&sr=8-7

Wall-mounted in a closet, it will provide some general security (kids, visitors, etc.) while giving you some relatively easy access.

TJ
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

Neil, our coaches are a little different so I can't really suggest a good place for you to keep the 870.

We will probably park our coach and take an extended motorcycle trip up through at least Canada in 2020, not sure if we will go all the way to Alaska. I will be purchasing an 870 also, probably parkerized finish or one of the newer more durable ones. I still have to make a couple measurements but I plan to carry it with the barrel off, which I am hoping allows me to keep it in my tour pack.

My point is if you are familiar with a Remington 870 pump, or practice a little, you can throw the barrel on and load it in less than 40 seconds. If looking for "hidden" places in your coach to store it I would consider places it would fit with the barrel off.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them.
It is pretty easy to tell the dangerous bears from the others; the dangerous bears jingle when they walk?

TJ
Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
In preparation for my future Alaska trip (thanks NWIP) and watching related YouTube videos (my fav source for learning) I learned about taking guns through Canada to Alaska where handguns are out, sporting guns (26in or longer if I recall) are allowed. As I don't have a thing for bears and think they may have a thing for me, I need some help with food chain defenses. So I bought a shotgun (Remington 870). The question is where is the best place to store this? It has a lock mechanism (keyed) that is in use. My thoughts, still have to test, is actually mount wall hooks on the side of the bed frame, side wall of the storage area, aft/bathroom side so it's hidden. The other option is the bathroom cabinet but it would need to be secured there to avoid crashing through the door and causing damage, and lastly, under the bed in the storage is another option.

I can also see using the shotgun for any CG area skeet ranges for some camping activities. On another note I just bought fishing gear and have gotten back into fishing which is a fun CG activity I'm enjoying. So far two CG's are no license required catch and release so that's been fun.

Where are you storing or would you store a shotgun if on board?

We store ours under the bed, with trigger locks. We are on our way to Glacier Park as I write this, arriving today. Then it's on to Alaska via Alberta, British Columbia, and the Yukon.

To legally enter Canada with a long gun you will need to complete form RCMP 5589, listing the type, gauge/caliber, length of barrel, manufacturer and serial number of each weapon in your possesion, and destination in Canada or whether "in transit" to a destination, such as Alaska. An agent will check the form against the actual weapons. Do NOT sign and date the form beforehand. That must be done at the border and witnessed by official personnel. Quite reasonable, in my opinion, as is the fee.-Paul
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
It is pretty easy to tell the dangerous bears from the others; the dangerous bears jingle when they walk?

TJ
Exactly. Bells do nothing except point out who is a tourist and generally unaware.

Bear spray is the only recommended protection in national parks, as well as common sense staying in groups, no dogs, no food, and keep conversation going during entire hike.

Never run, jog, or ride bikes in bear country.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Exactly. Bells do nothing except point out who is a tourist and generally unaware.

Bear spray is the only recommended protection in national parks, as well as common sense staying in groups, no dogs, no food, and keep conversation going during entire hike.

Never run, jog, or ride bikes in bear country.

Make sure you hike with someone(s) that are slower runners then you.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Neal, as far as easy storage and smaller might want to ponder this https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/....5+CRUISER+12g