Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would the jacks get rusted or anything in the winter weather if they are down? I plan on using the dryer sheets - great idea, and getting those smelly things and putting them by the drains. I think a previous thread had said store with slides in and jacks up. Oh I wish I didn't have to store it at all and could go year round!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
Would the jacks get rusted or anything in the winter weather if they are down?
Mine have not rusted in the two winters that I had them extended, and worked just fine when I took it out of storage.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
DH slathers Wolf's Head Red Grease on the extended jacks. We've never had a problem with rust & they operate perfectly after 6 months of winter slumber.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I found that wire mouse traps with peanut butter will take care of any mice.
Have tried everything else without much luck.
Place them under cabinets, behind fridge, Gen cavity, compartments, even in engine area they do like wiring it seems.
Had to dispose of 12 mice one winter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi radams,
I just saw your question, sorry about not answering sooner.

All gas/diesel engines need to be thoroughly up to running temperature or premature wear and tear may result. The oil temp is what is most important. Getting the engine up to operating allows contaminants to be suspended in the oil and carried to the oil filter and the oil pan. It also allows moisture that is present, in an engine that is idle, to be burned off and out the exhaust. This applies to the exhaust system as well as the engine.

The generator has another requirement that the parts that generate electricity need to do just that for about one hour at 1/2 load to maintain their ability to perform.

All this means the engine must be driven to get all the parts and oil up to operating temp. The generator could be run for one hour at 1/2 load.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Gary is right about not starting the engines over the winter. You'll do far more damage than good.

As for the dryer sheets, we've had critters make nests out of them. I'm going back to moth balls in the basement areas and I'm trying something called "Fresh Cab" in the 'house'. I don't like the idea of having to slog through the snow every day to check traps. I'd just as soon keep them out in the first place.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #21

Thank you for the response Gary, I understand much better now. I have been guilty in the past of starting everything up but I'm sure I didn't exercise it enough to accomplish what I wanted. Probably did more harm than good. Now I know better, thanks to you.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Hi guy, we are in Winnipeg and have the same problem. We leave for Palm Springs CA. in Feb. the morning we left the temperature was -43, I didn't want to have any problems so I tried to do everything I could to make sure when we needed to leave we could. I have synthetic oil in the 8.8l cummins as well as my Onan gen. The tranny oil is also synthetic. I take the rv out every two weeks and I found that on the cold days it takes about 60 miles for the oil temp and tranny temp to reach operating temperatures. I have a portable furnace as well as a small space heater that I run of the gen. so it gets its exercise. I am able to plug the block heater in the day before I take it for a run. I installed a 50amp service at home and once a month I bring it home for a few days so the batteries can get a full charge. I also have nitrogen in my tires. It works for me as we had no problems when we left for Palm Springs. Just my two cents,Smokeater75
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I found that wire mouse traps with peanut butter will take care of any mice.
I havent noticed that I have any problems with rodents...yet. However, since it seems to be something that one should consider; what would be wrong with using a DCon type of poison in the basement or other areas where household pets could not get them?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dcon will work but if you forget where you might has place packs may bounce around and spill.
The mouse traps make for a cleaner operation and if you forget where you place them they will trip if bounced and grab something.
Have never smelled a mouse they just dry up.
Most of the time they grab the mouse.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My concern about the DeCon is two fold. One, the critters can curl up and die somewhere you can't get to them, but you sure can smell them. Second, we have pets.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
...if you forget where you place them they will trip if bounced and grab something.
Yea, like my toe when my foot is searching for my slipper in the dark!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
My concern about the DeCon is two fold. One, the critters can curl up and die somewhere you can't get to them, but you sure can smell them. Second, we have pets.
Well, my understanding of d-Con is that it makes the critters thirsty and when they go out to search for water they hemorrhage and die away from the poison location. I have used it in my shop and have never seen a dead mouse, but have had an empty d-Con container.

As far a dead mouse smelling... YES THEY SMELL when they die in a confined place.

When I was in grade school, we lived in an old house that my dad remodeled. Unfortunitely, there must have been some holes that mice could get into and into the walls. They must have built a nest in the second floor outside wall. On a somewhat regular basis, in the summer, we would start smelling a dead mouse smell that increased in intensity for about a week or two. I remember all the AirWick bottles placed around my sisters bedroom in an attempt to eliminate the smell. It never did, and I think it made it worse to smell sickeningly sweet, dead mouse... We never did figure out how to get at the nest area... but eventually built a new house and let the new owner worry about dead mice.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I considered storing it up on the jacks, but after seeing a MH with rusted cylinders and thinking about having the jack system under full pressure (over 1000 psi) for months at a time, I leave mine on the ground. I wouldn't grease the cylinders as it could affect the seals. Most I would put on them is ATF.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote