Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #29

We had our propane stove removed and the induction cooktop installed in our new 2016 Ventana LE. Two times one of us had hit the knobs on the propane stove and turned it on. Once we were out and noticed it when we returned home. The second time really scared me. Again, one of us must have hit the knobs and it was on, I happened to wake up to get a drink of water and heard the hissing. Our guardian angels were watching us that night. We did not have the automatic spark feature or I would not be here. After that I said no more propane stove. I am also looking into the new product called Cheap Heat which attaches to the propane heater and heats without propane. It uses coils and is electric. I would love an all electric coach.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am the cook in my family and at home, I have always preferred gas cooking. We had gas in our last Motorhome, 2004 Mountain Aire and I loved it. It was a bit difficult to clean, but we dealt with it. We now have an all electric coach with a two burner induction cooktop and I love it too. I no longer carry any propane so I have no tunnel or bridge restrictions to worry about and the induction cooktop is so superior to the older electric cooktops. It heats up much faster than gas or older electric. . The cooktop itself does not get hot except for radiant heat coming back from the pot or pan.....and even so, the cooktop cools very quickly. You also have almost instantaneous control over heat settings and changes, even better than gas. If you're ordering an all electric coach, it's the only way to go...IMHO.

I also switched to an electric grill/griddle for outside cooking.... Cuisinart 300 with sear function. Had 12 people over for dinner and grilled burgers for everyone quickly and everyone raved about the taste....just as an aside.. It also works well inside for those rainy days. Love being on the road😊 and love my all electric coach..
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thx for the Magma pot recommendations - I'll look at those. I didn't think of pot/ pan size being limited - I'll keep an eye on that as we look at potential new-to-us DPs. I will start out with at least one portable burner of the opposite type of the stove. If we find a used DP with gas, extra burner will be induction; and vice-versa. If we order new, will get induction primary cooktop and we will end up with the all electric package :-)

We have camped w/no hookups 30-50% in current rig, but expect that to be lower (<25%) in new DP as we transition to full timing.

Thx again everyone! Great info!

CC & Paul
Seeking Newmar DP for full-timing good times :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The reality is, that most people who will buy a Newmar Dutch Star or similar big diesel, are not going to spend the majority of their time boon docking. I'm sure someone will come along who does more boon docking then campground camping, but it's just not the norm.

With that said, we boon dock about 3-5 days at a time, four or five times a year. Nothing has changed between doing it with our propane Diplomat or our all electric Dutch Star.

Absolutely !!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #33

Here's our configuration:

All electric RV (from manufacturer):

1) Electric residential reefer.
2) Convection microwave.
3) Princess electric 2 - burner cooktop.
4) Hydro-hot heating.
5) electric element/Hydro-hot hot water.
6) heat pumps on A/Cs.
7) portable single induction unit.
8) portable propane grill and 20lb. portable tank.
9) 2 - portable ceramic heaters.
10) 2 - small quiet fans (tabletop).
11) 2 - rooftop Fantastic fans.

I don't plan on changing anything except:
If the Princess electric cooktop dies, I will change to induction.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Here's our configuration:

8) portable propane grill and 20lb. portable tank.
What you will have after that first EMP burst!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This is our second no LP coach, first with an induction cooktop.

Love the induction. Don't miss having to find a place to fill an LP tank, love the extra storage space gained by eliminating that tank.

90% of the time we have at least an electric hookup but we have "boondocked" a number of times at either a rally, special event (EAA fly-in / convention) or once in a field across from a relatives home. Set the gen set on "auto" (install the genturi where appropriate) and we're good to go, our only limiting factor is the on-board fresh water supply but can easily make that last at least a week if need be.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The reality is, that most people who will buy a Newmar Dutch Star or similar big diesel, are not going to spend the majority of their time boon docking. I'm sure someone will come along who does more boon docking then campground camping, but it's just not the norm.

With that said, we boon dock about 3-5 days at a time, four or five times a year. Nothing has changed between doing it with our propane Diplomat or our all electric Dutch Star.
Sounds like Don had the standard DSDP propane tank. A 40 gal and 32 usable like our '02 DSDP had. And we camp like Don does too, since up till last week I was still working. Then the DW had a liver transplant.
One thing they did with our rig, since our two burner propane cook top is the only propane user is to go to a 5.5 gal propane tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We dry camp at Yosemite, during Thanksgiving, every couple of years, so I bought a small butane single burner cook top. It comes in a nice case and is good for making hot coffee/chocolate during the day. It's big enough to use outside for eggs or pancakes on occasion.

It will also be there........ if there is an EMP burst!!!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
What you will have after that first EMP burst!

And maybe I should have a 2nd tank .... cuz I'll have some trouble starting the Yukon to fetch a refill
Old 07-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
And maybe I should have a 2nd tank .... cuz I'll have some trouble starting the Yukon to fetch a refill
hahaha - ya I didn't think of that Probably couldn't start the LP pump at the station either.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #40
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Candygirl glad all turned out ok.

We have, probably, the only all electric VTDP 3725. We've had a propane based coach, and never again. The induction cooktop is great. May replace my gas range at home. I am a lifetime 60+ gas fanatic. The temp controls on the new electric systems are now soo exact, I'm a believer.

If you have to cook over fire go all the way like I do, start a wood fire . Nothing like the smoke from wood on a thick steak. Oops, now I'm hungry

I have to wonder for those folks that are into caveman camping, what are you doing in a Newmar? Get a 62 chevy panel and a sternal stove and enjoy. Been there, loved it, old bones can't take it anymore

Bottom line: if you're out there, no matter in what, enjoy. Be as safe as you can. Going electric is likely the most safe, especially for folks like me and Candygirl that do occassionally turn propane valves on by accident.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an all electric coach now...and I'm not missing the use of propane...

As was already pointed out...there are limitations to be aware of...induction compatible cookware, can not operate both cooking surfaces on high at the same time, and the induction cooking surface is not powered by the inverter on our coach...so the generator or shore power must be running. Air conditioners need generator or shore power too...so living in South Florida...we plan accordingly.

I didn't mind propane cooking...and never bumped the knob on by mistake. You do have an lp gas detector in coaches with propane. These are normally located within a few inches of the floor. In our 5th wheel it was right where our male Samoyed liked to sleep when the weather is cool outside. He really enjoyed being near the draft by the threshold of the entry door. That aligned his rear with the lp gas detector. Guess what other types of gas will trigger these alarms? Camping in cool weather at Topsail SP...he managed to trigger the alarm almost every night around 3 am. After I got home...I installed a guarded cutout switch...so whenever it happened we could quickly end the noise so we dont wake the entire campsite...and then investigate the source of the gas.

I do think the new 2017 induction cooktop is a great idea. Flush cover and portable so you can take it outside. I used to cook all the bacon outside when we had the 5th wheel...just to keep the lingering aroma from becomming too much inside that small area. Well...we're vegetarians now...so it's not a problem. But when we did...I had a carryout Rival electric griddle that I cooked with outside on the picnic table.

Even though we've already made our choices...I am enjoying reading all the different responses and ideas to your inquiries...

Have fun!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
We have an all electric coach now...and I'm not missing the use of propane...

As was already pointed out...there are limitations to be aware of...induction compatible cookware, can not operate both cooking surfaces on high at the same time, and the induction cooking surface is not powered by the inverter on our coach...so the generator or shore power must be running. Air conditioners need generator or shore power too...so living in South Florida...we plan accordingly.

I didn't mind propane cooking...and never bumped the knob on by mistake. You do have an lp gas detector in coaches with propane. These are normally located within a few inches of the floor. In our 5th wheel it was right where our male Samoyed liked to sleep when the weather is cool outside. He really enjoyed being near the draft by the threshold of the entry door. That aligned his rear with the lp gas detector. Guess what other types of gas will trigger these alarms? Camping in cool weather at Topsail SP...he managed to trigger the alarm almost every night around 3 am. After I got home...I installed a guarded cutout switch...so whenever it happened we could quickly end the noise so we dont wake the entire campsite...and then investigate the source of the gas.

I do think the new 2017 induction cooktop is a great idea. Flush cover and portable so you can take it outside. I used to cook all the bacon outside when we had the 5th wheel...just to keep the lingering aroma from becomming too much inside that small area. Well...we're vegetarians now...so it's not a problem. But when we did...I had a carryout Rival electric griddle that I cooked with outside on the picnic table.

Even though we've already made our choices...I am enjoying reading all the different responses and ideas to your inquiries...

Have fun!
I still do this with bacon and fish ... not so concerned about smells and spatter. For me it's easier overall. I keep the portable induction unit in the basement with the propane grill. I also store an induction (steel) fry pan out there.

Tags
propane