Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We could argue for months - but I'm done. I just get the feeling nobody ever gets to make a point with you - so I won't try anymore.

In summary - you live in a house where people have already died of CO poisoning from a furnace, yet you ignore the warning labels and run a fueled open flame in an enclosed space with no combustion air and rely on a detector made in China to to tell you when you've had enough. I'm OK with that. No argument from me, carry on.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #58
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I think we've gone a little off topic from the OP's question. Just saying...

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
We're propane stove users by preference. Grew up cooking on gas stoves, hated my experiences cooking with electricity back during my apartment days ... paid BIG money for a gas cooktop when we remodeled our home - will always opt to cook on something with a real flame if given the choice.

Although I'm not versed in technical aspects of an induction cooktop's power draw and how it fits into the big scheme of things when a coach isn't connected to shore power - I can't help but think it draws significantly more power than whatever current a propane stove uses for the ignitor(s) and whatever electronic controls are there. Granted, you have to deal with ensuring you've got propane. However, for the amount of propane we use - that's a fillup of our 40 lb tank every 6-9 months - compared to needing to ensure I've got sufficient electric power available every time I want to boil up a pot of soup.

I'm pretty sure there's no compelling technological advantage to having one over the other - and that the various technology based rationales are little more than an explanation attempting to make each of us feel better about whatever stove technology we preferred before any of the issues were given a second thought.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Guys - guys - Darwinistic acts are good for the species - but (by the way, you don't have CO2 detectors) I'm not making this up. Many Morons before you have led to the need for warning labels all over everything, and I'm positive there is one on your garage heater as well!

The other killer is asphyxiation - from the......lets see, what did Northermark come up with? oh ya - CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and water vapor. Oh (Hydroxide), and the waste heat. ;-). Your little CO detector couldn't care less if you are dying from the lack of oxygen as it is being converted to CO2, H20, OH etc by your stove! It won't even go off until the combustion process begins to be incomplete because the stove has pretty much burned up all the usable oxygen in the space, but you lost consciousness at about 15% waiting for the stupid $14 detector to tell you something it can't.

Regardless, I don't want to lecture or sound condescending but for the general reader, there are warnings against this because someone gave their life to science. Below is the first one that came to mind from my Atwood LP gas cooktop. For those more curious, I've attached the manual of which the first TWO FULL PAGES are nothing but warnings, thanks in part to the contributions of other backyard scientist that gave all of it up for their fellow man.

Here's your sign!
moho's are not air tight, especially if you have slide outs. sheessshhh..... Slide outs allow much dust to pass by their seals during a wind storm. That is why 2 AC units are required to cool a coach with them.

One burner while heating coffee is not going to suffocate you. You have to get the lawyers crap out of you head! CO is heavier than 02, the problem is some folks try to sleep while running all the burners and oven for heating, the CO builds up and then you never wake up. Those stickers are for the lawyers. The biggest problem for using open flame for heating is that when the fame goes out because the gas regulator glinks and then you have raw gas pouring into the people area. Then you get either an explosion or suffocation due to lack of O2 because gas is heavier than O2 in just a few minutes!

Ventless fire places have been around for hundreds of years, but expensive law suits for only the last 100. One fire place in my 2400 sq foot, 19 foot high garage is not going to cause me any breathing problems. It has 3 13 foot garage doors. Duh......

Most modern moho's have gas (unburned fuel) detectors hard wired at the floor level. If you don't have one, get one!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #61
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We're propane stove users by preference. Grew up cooking on gas stoves, hated my experiences cooking with electricity back during my apartment days ... paid BIG money for a gas cooktop when we remodeled our home - will always opt to cook on something with a real flame if given the choice.

Although I'm not versed in technical aspects of an induction cooktop's power draw and how it fits into the big scheme of things when a coach isn't connected to shore power - I can't help but think it draws significantly more power than whatever current a propane stove uses for the ignitor(s) and whatever electronic controls are there. Granted, you have to deal with ensuring you've got propane. However, for the amount of propane we use - that's a fillup of our 40 lb tank every 6-9 months - compared to needing to ensure I've got sufficient electric power available every time I want to boil up a pot of soup.

I'm pretty sure there's no compelling technological advantage to having one over the other - and that the various technology based rationales are little more than an explanation attempting to make each of us feel better about whatever stove technology we preferred before any of the issues were given a second thought.

You bring up an important requirement of induction cooktops over propane. One needs to run the generator or be plugged into shore power to cook on them. They are not wired to the inverter standard as the draw is too much for practical use off batteries.

For our use, the induction works out fine when boondocking. Since we usually want to give the batteries a charge in the am and pm, we run the generator for an hour or so while cooking breakfast and dinner. That way we are set for the day and night to run on batteries while hardly putting a dent in the bank's capacity.

Propane has an advantage in that regards but for our use case, induction is our choice.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
moho's are not air tight, especially if you have slide outs. sheessshhh..... Slide outs allow much dust to pass by their seals during a wind storm. That is why 2 AC units are required to cool a coach with them.

One burner while heating coffee is not going to suffocate you. You have to get the lawyers crap out of you head! CO is heavier than 02, the problem is some folks try to sleep while running all the burners and oven for heating, the CO builds up and then you never wake up. Those stickers are for the lawyers. The biggest problem for using open flame for heating is that when the fame goes out because the gas regulator glinks and then you have raw gas pouring into the people area. Then you get either an explosion or suffocation due to lack of O2 because gas is heavier than O2 in just a few minutes!

Ventless fire places have been around for hundreds of years, but expensive law suits for only the last 100. One fire place in my 2400 sq foot, 19 foot high garage is not going to cause me any breathing problems. It has 3 13 foot garage doors. Duh......

Most modern moho's have gas (unburned fuel) detectors hard wired at the floor level. If you don't have one, get one!
You didn't even know how to spell it yesterday, now your an expert

PS - flammable/combustible gas detection has been a requirement in RVs for decades.

So if we are done beating our chests - l vote we drop it and let them get back on topic.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane