Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think both coaches are nice. When we went to buy our first Newmar in 2014, we were literally about to sign on the dotted line for a new Ventana and then stopped. We had also carefully looked at the Dutch Star and picked the Ventana for budget reasons. As I was about to sign, I realized I was passing on a lot of things that I ALWAYS wanted like a side radiator, IFS, Oasis, power bay locks and a lot of other subtle things.

I don't know your financial situation, but it sounds like you could afford either, since you're looking at both. For us....whenever we buy something new like a car or RV we look at if we'll regret our decision because we tried to save a few dollars on the payment, by buying a lesser model. Sometimes it will make the payment too much and sometimes it's not that big a deal. Typically, you can figure about $6.00 per one thousand borrowed when financing. In 2014, when we bought from Tom Lindstrom RV, the difference in price between a Ventana and a DS was not that much of a spread. We went with the Dutch Star, the payment increase was absorbed to into our monthly finances and never missed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #16

We were purchasing from dealer stock late in the model year. House was sold and we didn't have time to order a coach even if we wanted to.

Models, and subsequent options, along with price points change year after year. Don makes some good points and I agree.

We looked at a Ventana 4369 (loaded) and a Dutch Star 4369 (about standard). Both were new 2017 units on the dealer lot. Every major component, including Oasis, chassis, was the same. DS had 50 more HP and heated floors. The other differences were very minor and including mostly what I considered bling.

If the Ventana that was available at the time would not have had all the added options (3rd a/c, full tile, etc...) we may have opted for the regular DS. But at the time between the two models we were comparing it made more sense for us to go with the Ventana.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
Looking at a 4369 and trying to decide on Ventana vs Dutchstar. Anyone out there that has owned both who can comment on the difference in rude going to independent suspension?
I have owned both - the new suspensions on the Ventana from Freightliner are not that noticeable to me. Because both will have the larger engines, tag axles and both have beefed up suspension and chassis now.

I owned a Dutch Star before - nice coach - but I chose the Ventana- for about 75,000 reasons. You can't go wrong with either coach IMO!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think both coaches are nice. When we went to buy our first Newmar in 2014, we were literally about to sign on the dotted line for a new Ventana and then stopped. We had also carefully looked at the Dutch Star and picked the Ventana for budget reasons. As I was about to sign, I realized I was passing on a lot of things that I ALWAYS wanted like a side radiator, IFS, Oasis, power bay locks and a lot of other subtle things.

I don't know your financial situation, but it sounds like you could afford either, since you're looking at both. For us....whenever we buy something new like a car or RV we look at if we'll regret our decision because we tried to save a few dollars on the payment, by buying a lesser model. Sometimes it will make the payment too much and sometimes it's not that big a deal. Typically, you can figure about $6.00 per one thousand borrowed when financing. In 2014, when we bought from Tom Lindstrom RV, the difference in price between a Ventana and a DS was not that much of a spread. We went with the Dutch Star, the payment increase was absorbed to into our monthly finances and never missed.
FYI, the new Ventana has most of the things you listed you wanted - other than the IFS. However, freightliner has done some changes to the front axle and it is much better than in the past. The chassis add ons done by Newmar are now done on both coaches. The lines are getting more and more blurry to me. Plus I'm not sure that all the upgraded electronics are really that kewl or cost effective in the long run. Let's face it- how many of us drive more than 8,000 miles a year? 75K is a lot to pay for the ride. The only thing I couldn't get on the Ventana I wanted was heated floors - everything else is basically now available on the Ventana. I had a Dutch Star and loved it - but I think I'm going to equally love my new Ventana.

P.S. My Dutch Star didn't have Comfort Drive - my Ventana does- now that is a huge difference in my opinion.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback. As some noted, the lines are getting blurry. The primary feature difference is the heated floors and IFS. For $90,000 I can wear slippers.
We put a deposit on a Ventana 4362 :-)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #20

The other big difference is side vs rear radiator and ease of engine access.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #21

Well now you've stirred the pot on heated floors. They were a deal breaker for me, had to have them. Search the forum for the heated floor discussion. With floor heat, you don't need the heat pumps, which makes the coach more comfortable in cold weather.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
We wanted the Ventanna, but We bought the DS for several reasons, but the IFS gives us a tighter turning radius that was paramount for getting into our tight driveway and for those OMG U-Turns I tried to make with my old coach.

When the U-Turn thing doesn't work out you must back up into lanes of dangerous and angry traffic. Do not try this at home...

Love the ability to better maneuver that hunk of 4369.

Also, we did not like having to place 15 slide protectors on the floor as the rollers will scratch the Ventanna but not the Dutch Star. Huge for us. Not doing that on my hands and knees.

I knew I would look at that Dutch Star driving down the road, if I bought the Ventanna.

Good Luck,

BobbyJ
State College PA
2020 DSDP 4369
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoop View Post
Well now you've stirred the pot on heated floors. They were a deal breaker for me, had to have them. Search the forum for the heated floor discussion. With floor heat, you don't need the heat pumps, which makes the coach more comfortable in cold weather.
The lack of heated floors was the only box out Tuscany didn't check off in the price range we decided on

Running both heater thermostats to provide heat in the basement help to take off the tile chill but definitely not the same as the heated floor option
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #24

Sales rep provided this summary to me when I asked about the fundamental difference in the two (in order to get IFS):

"Hi Paul, The Dutch Star has bigger front and tag axle, Larger tires , 450 HP Engine with side radiator, vs. 400 HP with rear radiator, The Dutch Star has independent front suspension, The Ventana does not. . 150 gallon Fuel tank vs. 100 gallon."

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #25
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
The other big difference is side vs rear radiator and ease of engine access.
2X..... I think over years of ownership a side radiator and engine access is more important than the front axle.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #26

So many of the replies compare different motorcoaches that have many more differences than just the front axle.

We had a 2000 American Tradition with Spartan chassis and IFS. It was the best driving, handling motorhome I had ever had. I was sold on the IFS. When we were considering purchasing a 2005 Revolution LE with Spartan chassis and no IFS, it was almost a deal breaker for me. After test driving it however, I honestly could not feel the difference. We ended up buying the Revolution, and after driving it 90,000 miles (and having driven the Tradition 90.000 miles) I honestly could not tell the difference driving it. Having been an engineer I understand all the reasons why the IFS should ride better, but I honestly could not feel any difference.

We now have a Ventana LE and of course it also has the beam front axle.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaRVGazer View Post
Sales rep provided this summary to me when I asked about the fundamental difference in the two (in order to get IFS):

"Hi Paul, The Dutch Star has bigger front and tag axle, Larger tires , 450 HP Engine with side radiator, vs. 400 HP with rear radiator, The Dutch Star has independent front suspension, The Ventana does not. . 150 gallon Fuel tank vs. 100 gallon."

Paul
You should compare a Tuscany
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
FYI, the new Ventana has most of the things you listed you wanted - other than the IFS. However, freightliner has done some changes to the front axle and it is much better than in the past. The chassis add ons done by Newmar are now done on both coaches. The lines are getting more and more blurry to me. Plus I'm not sure that all the upgraded electronics are really that kewl or cost effective in the long run. Let's face it- how many of us drive more than 8,000 miles a year? 75K is a lot to pay for the ride. The only thing I couldn't get on the Ventana I wanted was heated floors - everything else is basically now available on the Ventana. I had a Dutch Star and loved it - but I think I'm going to equally love my new Ventana.

P.S. My Dutch Star didn't have Comfort Drive - my Ventana does- now that is a huge difference in my opinion.
The DS doesn’t have carpet on the slides and that’s a huge difference in my opinion. Trading in my 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red for a 2019 Newmar DS 4328 to get flat slides and no carpet. Would have considered the Ventana but they have stayed with the carpet on the slides.
GoRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension