RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #1

Streaming TV to RV

I was at the local AT&T store a few days ago and they tell me that for about $45.00 additional to my monthly bill they will give me a small box that will plug into my wall outlet at home and I can have unlimited Data, Talk, and Text, and that I can get hundreds of dish network channels without a Sat. dish. All this Wi-Fi to a smart tv.The best part is that when I go somewhere I can take it with me and have this service anywhere my cell phone works, no roaming or additional fees. Sounds like the days of a dish on top of RV are going away. Has anyone had any experience with this.

nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think you need to take a closer look. Unlimited is not truly unlimited. After you cross the 10 GB or 20 GB mark you may drop off the LTE network with slower speeds. Depends on your plan. At the very least you will take back seat in priority for internet access. AT&T and Verizon are constantly leap-frogging each other, but so far, neither are truly unlimited. The day may come, but not yet.

Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

Check t mobile they have a 30 gb high speed data cap then it goes to 3 g speed unlimited. In my experience when I do go over 30 gb they very rarely even throttle it then. And with the new 600 MHz band they just bought nationwide coverage will be the best out of all.
Karl0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

May want to do some research on AT&T ZTE Mobley vehicle WiFi hotspot. $20 a month for Unlimited data. Make sure you contact their Car Connection people at 866-595-1222 instead of their retail store sales people because most of the in-store sales force will try and get you on the 22 GB 4G/LTE PLAN which is different. Best Buy has the ZTE Mobley on sale for $79. If you're willing to sign a 2 year contract with AT&T, the Mobley is free but they are out of stock, so I went with the direct purchase through Best Buy. A final thought, you don't need any other service with AT&T to take advantage of this wifi program.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
May want to do some research on AT&T ZTE Mobley vehicle WiFi hotspot. $20 a month for Unlimited data. Make sure you contact their Car Connection people at 866-595-1222 instead of their retail store sales people because most of the in-store sales force will try and get you on the 22 GB 4G/LTE PLAN which is different. Best Buy has the ZTE Mobley on sale for $79. If you're willing to sign a 2 year contract with AT&T, the Mobley is free but they are out of stock, so I went with the direct purchase through Best Buy. A final thought, you don't need any other service with AT&T to take advantage of this wifi program.
I see that the Mobley plugs into the OBDII port of your vehicle. Is it only powered when your ignition is on?
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
and that I can get hundreds of dish network channels without a Sat. dish.
If this device is a hotspot and you have a DISH Hopper 3, then that may work. I've not been able to connect my smart tv using a hotspot and my DISH Hopper 3.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
I see that the Mobley plugs into the OBDII port of your vehicle. Is it only powered when your ignition is on?
There are 120 A/C adapters for sale on Ebay and Amazon so you don't need to use the OBDII exclusively. You may want to head over to Escapees forum. There is an extensive thread under the title "Internet Access on the road" that goes into great detail.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
AT&T doesn't drop you off LTE when you exceed 22gb. They MIGHT throttle you after you cross 22gb if the network is congested and/or if you are in high usage time of day. They leave you on LTE, but slow you down. So far, I haven't had them throttle me, but I've only had my Mobley a few months. I get alerts when I hit 16gb, then again at 22, but so far I have not noticed any slowdowns.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #9

The AT&T ZTE Mobley and the DirecTV genie communicate well together. Plus the is no data charge for streaming DirectV on AT&T. Got to love it when a plan comes together.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

It will be interesting to watch this. Now I am waiting to see about congested cell phone service the way we see congested wifi. It would be really nice if they sorted it out.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
There are 120 A/C adapters for sale on Ebay and Amazon so you don't need to use the OBDII exclusively. You may want to head over to Escapees forum. There is an extensive thread under the title "Internet Access on the road" that goes into great detail.
Ignore - I found it. Thanks

Searched around but all I found were power adapters to plug into the OBDII port. Not familiar with the Escapees forum though I am a member. Got a link?
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Streaming TV to RV

What about local channels?

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - If you want to do the Mobley thing then get a move on it as sign up ends this July. I have one and it is hands down the best deal out there. I took a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" male plug and attached the ground to pin 4 and the positive to pin 16 on the Mobley. No OBD port on a diesel.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
What about local channels?
Antenna.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote