RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

Coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star on Workhorse W22 chassis with 8.1L GM engine.
After finally getting air intake repairs to prevent water absorption clogging the air filter, my attempt to leave home Saturday ended after only 20 miles. The oils had just been changed and the engine run almost daily while parked in my yard in cold (Zero lows to 22 highs). All seemed OK and as we drove out of town, the oil pressure alarm went off. Readout showed 0, then ran up to 65PSI. Thought perhaps there was a defective oil filter, so I went to NAPA and got a replacement. Started up and engine pressure up to 65PSI and stable.
Left town and within 15 minutes pressure again became erratic. Finally went to zero and stayed there. While the engine seemed fine, and no change in water temp or way it performed, I decided it was best to pull off and not drive it.
After a couple of hours, Workhorse had a tow truck there and towed me the 20 miles back to my home...option was to tow to an unused lot or WalMart lot for the weekend, then get towed to a Workhorse service center on Monday (probably Evansville or Indianapolis IN). I figured it was safer having my fully loaded rig next to my house and plugged into power than sitting abandoned at a WalMart. No reasonable way to stay with it at a WalMart without water, the coach winterized, and no power hookup.
Not sure what is going on, but suspect the cold has had some sort of impact upon the pressure sensor gauge rather than a failed oil pump...but time will tell.
Unfortunate that Monday and Tuesday are forecast to be snow, ice and more snow and ice for 100 miles around my location. Not sure if Workhorse will be able to get me to a repair center and repairs made quickly, but I was so looking forward to being in Florida today and not a week from today.

KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #2

Coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star on Workhorse W22 chassis with 8.1L GM engine.
After finally getting air intake repairs to prevent water absorption clogging the air filter, my attempt to leave home Saturday ended after only 20 miles. The oils had just been changed and the engine run almost daily while parked in my yard in cold (Zero lows to 22 highs). All seemed OK and as we drove out of town, the oil pressure alarm went off. Readout showed 0, then ran up to 65PSI. Thought perhaps there was a defective oil filter, so I went to NAPA and got a replacement. Started up and engine pressure up to 65PSI and stable.
Left town and within 15 minutes pressure again became erratic. Finally went to zero and stayed there. While the engine seemed fine, and no change in water temp or way it performed, I decided it was best to pull off and not drive it.
After a couple of hours, Workhorse had a tow truck there and towed me the 20 miles back to my home...option was to tow to an unused lot or WalMart lot for the weekend, then get towed to a Workhorse service center on Monday (probably Evansville or Indianapolis IN). I figured it was safer having my fully loaded rig next to my house and plugged into power than sitting abandoned at a WalMart. No reasonable way to stay with it at a WalMart without water, the coach winterized, and no power hookup.
Not sure what is going on, but suspect the cold has had some sort of impact upon the pressure sensor gauge rather than a failed oil pump...but time will tell.
Unfortunate that Monday and Tuesday are forecast to be snow, ice and more snow and ice for 100 miles around my location. Not sure if Workhorse will be able to get me to a repair center and repairs made quickly, but I was so looking forward to being in Florida today and not a week from today.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was so looking forward to being in Florida today and not a week from today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm feeling your pain,as I sit here in Nappanee Indiana.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At least you can be glad you're not up in Oswego County, NY, where they've have over 100 inches of snow over the past week with more expected!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #5

Yes, if I was in Oswego CO. NY, would only have to worry about finding the motorhome in the spring.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #6

At this rate maybe summer!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It may indeed be a bad sensor but there is one other thing to be aware of when exercising engines in cold storage. I've seen engines that have your symptoms in the past the were due to the following information:

It's important to warm the engine's up really good. I'd rather run it for 1-2 hours once a week than 20 minutes every day. Also, idling doesn't help - you need to rev it up to build the heat and circulate things. If an engine gets "a little warm" it'll cause condensation in the engine's crankcase. This condensation will settle out as it cools. Every time you start it, you add more condensation. If you run it good and hard for a long enough time you'll burn that condensation out but if these are short runs you'll just be adding to the problem and it's actually better to have left it sit.

This condensation will cause metal pitting and rust damage but in cold weather it wil settle in the oil pan (remember, oil floats) and once it accumulates enough it can partially freeze up the screen on the oil pickup tube. Then, when you run your engine, it starves for oil and the light comes on.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #8

Workhorse repair center (Boerman Chevrolet in Poseyville, IN) has confirmed the problem is the sensor, not oil pump. Plenty of oil flow and pressure. That is the good news
Bad news...with O'Hare shut down, the FedEx overnight of the part did not make it. Probably will now not make it to Boerman before late Wed or perhaps early Thursday.
Oh well, would rather be sitting at home in an ice storm in southern IL than traveling in one.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #9

UPDATE:
Just got a call from Boerman Chevrolet telling me the part had come in this morning, and coach is ready. When I talked to them about 9AM they did not yet have the part, so I figured it would be Thursday before the coach would be ready.
Boerman parts manager Hank Edwrds has been great checking on the delivery and keeping me informed. But he sure surprised me when he called to say the coach is ready.
Given the weather conditions the past two days in the IL/IN area, Workhorse, FedEX and Boerman have given me remarkable service. So early tomorrow, its off to Florida and some warmer weather!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy, thats good news for you. But I'm jealous. We won't get out of here till March but I've got to move 30 + inches of snow from yesterday before I go anywhere.

Bill
Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry Bill you can't brake loose from that 30" snowfall, how about some KARMA to make you part of our family here on the Newmar forum.
The groundhog said its going to be a early spring I hope.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote