Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
SCF

Stumped re: residential frig in Ventana LE

Ok, I'm stumped. I decided on the Ventana 3636 floorplan after comparing too many models/makers. Ready to go through the process of sending out requests for quotes from the dealers I am comfortable with. One small snag (I think)---order form doesn't show a residential frig option.

Shouldn't be a big deal (I think) because it is an option in the identical floorplan/chassis Ventana and it was an option in the 2014 model LE. 2015 3636 has a greater NCC than the 38 foot models where the residential frig IS an option, so weight shouldn't be a problem.

But Newmar customer service says nope. No residential frig in the 34xx or 36xx Ventana LEs. Firm and final answer I ask? Yes.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I was really looking forward to being part of the Newmar family.
SCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stumped re: residential frig in Ventana LE

Not based on personal experience with Newmar, but With many other enterprises. I would suggest moving up the food chain . I know others will jump in here and tell you *precisely* the person to call. Call Matt! Unless there's some intractable engineering issue involving inverter, batteries, etc., etc., I refuse to believe they would blow a sale over a refrigerator.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCF View Post
Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I was really looking forward to being part of the Newmar family.
Could it be found under the "All Electric" option???
Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
SCF

AND THAT'S ANOTHER THING ... (kidding).

I had toyed with the all electric option (for DW's hot water needs) but that is not an option in the LE. That one is easier to swallow (avoiding model creep etc.)

Good thought though.

Could go Ventana, but don't really "need" the extra 20 HP or the porcelain tile, and most of the options I would choose are options on both models. So I am really left deciding whether to buy a $30,000 refrigerator!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There are some things that Newmar just will not put in a lower priced model from a higher priced model.

However, never be afraid to ask.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCF View Post

Could go Ventana, but don't really "need" the extra 20 HP or the porcelain tile, and most of the options I would choose are options on both models. So I am really left deciding whether to buy a $30,000 refrigerator!

Well when I did a comparison between the "Standard" features on both 2015 Ventana and 2015 Ventana LE I came up with this list of items you get standard on the Ventana

Polished Aluminum Wheels
Air Horns
Solid Surface Range Cover
Fireplace in Living Area*
Sony 46” LED TV on Televator in Living Area*
Sony® Surround Sound System with Sub-Woofer
Satellite Dish Prep on Roof
Two Bedroom Radio Speakers
Driver/Passenger Seats have additional Power Lumbar, Power Footrest
8.0 kW Cummins Onan® Diesel Quiet Series Generator (vs 6Kw on LE)
5 Watt Solar Panel to Charge Chassis Battery
2000 Watt Inverter (vs 1200 on LE)
Rear Hitch for Towing Car
Porcelain Tile Floor in Kitchen, Bathroom and Living Area
Sentrel Acrylic Shower Walls with Glass Door (vs fiberglass in LE)
Frameless Double-Pane Tinted Safety-Glass Windows (vs single pane in LE)

So, for me the bigger generator and the double pane windows are HUGE pluses
....you aren't just paying $30K for a refrigerator - LOL
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we ordered our present DSDP I wanted the Aqua Hot. No way I was told, you have to go to a MADP to get it. That wasn't worth the expense to us.
Now the Oasis is standard in a DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I know the feeling about model creeping. Originally we were looking at the 2015 3436 or the 3636 Ventana LE and now we're ordering the 2015 Ventana 4369. It's quite a jump from our initial ideas on what we thought we wanted / needed.

In our opinion, we could afford to bump up one model Ventana and the extra cost of the 43'er. All the amenities we are getting for the bump in price are huge, so it was worth it for us.
Bobby.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though I fail to understand this infatuation with 120 volt only fridges in RV's.. I mean that simply does not make sense to me. I do have two bits of advice.

First: If Newmar says "NO CAN DO" ... Shop other makes.

Second: A model to investigate:
Norcold DE-0061 Refrigerator AC/DC Flush Mount

I hope the link is still valid. (I checked it is) Note this is a compressor fridge, NO Propane option, While I do not have this device I have a competitor's chest freezer (Engel) I am very pleased with.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

I had a similar situation ordering our 2013 Ventana. We really wanted the LE version but after adding up the options, it turned out that most of what we wanted were already standard equipment on the Ventana so we moved up and ordered the Ventana 3434.

My final request to Newmar was the replacement of the Norcold with a residential fridge but was told flat out that Newmar would not do the necessary modifications to accommodate either the may tag nor GE.

So we did the next best thing. After taking delivery of the RV, we had the Norcold removed and replaced with a Samsung 197 which required only minor modifications to the cabinets.

Total cost about $2500.

Don't give up.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Y'know.... it occurs to me that Norcold may have some contractual leverage on Newmar to prevent them from taking any actions that might cast a negative light on Norcold while the "burning fridge" litigation is in progress. Just a thought...

What's to prevent you from deleting the refrigerator and associated cabinet prep altogether on your order, and having them leave the empty space, ready for your third party to prep and slide in a Samsung?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
SCF

Thanks All

What's maddening to me is that in 2015 they took the frig option OUT when they had it in 2014----and it is still in the 2015 Ventana 3636, so it fits without any extraordinary gymnastics (I admire your gumption Lass).

Pasdad--I have a different list of std/optional items than you do. Many of the items on your list are std on both (like the rear hitch--that one cracked me up). Your point is taken though. The 8KW gennie and double pain windows are $2,136 options on the LE. And I would have to live with the fiberglass shower instead of the nicer acrylic. . .

Wa8yxm--I'm afraid other makes is where I'm headed--just thought I was done with that. Thanks for the tip on the frig.

BobbyD--Congrats on getting the coach you want. 43' is too much beast for me!

JXFG--I didn't try that. I just went with the customer service line (thinking it wouldn't be a big deal). Maybe someone has a better idea as to who to talk to.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to expose my naiveté here, but why won't Newmar make the requested upgrade? If it means the difference between sale or no sale...
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's one or both of these reasons.

1. It won't fit.

2. There are some things that Newmar just will not put in a lower priced model from a higher priced model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'm going to expose my naiveté here, but why won't Newmar make the requested upgrade? If it means the difference between sale or no sale...

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent