Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1

Well stupid question and observation.

Tile - Anyone tiled their slide out section? Not the main living area obviously that can be tiled but the part which actually slides out. Every coach I see has carpet there and thats probably because with all the movement tile will crack easily but anyone tile theirs with any success?

AC- Newmar's AC is nice without a doubt but anyone think they really should move their heat return and AC ducts further from each other? Just seems to me with them being so close its sucking mostly cold air as it doesn't have much time to settle down to the floor area. Also I think it would improve air flow by having air expelled on one side and warm air sucked in on the other side further away.

Not a big deal just an observation someone with much more know how might have a reason they do it the way they do.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #2

Well stupid question and observation.

Tile - Anyone tiled their slide out section? Not the main living area obviously that can be tiled but the part which actually slides out. Every coach I see has carpet there and thats probably because with all the movement tile will crack easily but anyone tile theirs with any success?

AC- Newmar's AC is nice without a doubt but anyone think they really should move their heat return and AC ducts further from each other? Just seems to me with them being so close its sucking mostly cold air as it doesn't have much time to settle down to the floor area. Also I think it would improve air flow by having air expelled on one side and warm air sucked in on the other side further away.

Not a big deal just an observation someone with much more know how might have a reason they do it the way they do.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #3

Not stupid questions. I am interested in the first one, as well. I would add, has anyone tiled their bedroom?
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

A tiled slideout would most certainly add a LOT of weight to an already cantilevered process...that'd be my thinking as to why there's not tile there.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
KENLEEE

Arion: My 2007, Mountain Air has tile from the front door to the bedroom. It was ordered that way. The bedroom is carpet, but I have spoken to Newmar, to get info on adding tile and/or wood flooring, in the bedroom area. I told they cN DO IT, but may have to change the rollers, on the bedroom slides. We have enjoyed the tile, and had no problems,
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #6

Don't beleive it would be a weight issue as we have added much weight(storage behind/under couch) to our slide with no change. Probably would be a flex problem. Also wondered about the efficiency of the AC vents.

Kenleee, can you post a picture-be interesting to see how they tiled the slideout floor, etc.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
KENLEEE

You can go to the Newmar Home Page, and pull up the Mountain Air D, and you will see the interior picture, of the flooring. It is standard.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 AM   #8

Kenlee, the MA in the picture does NOT have a tiled slideout. It has tiled flooring like most have from front to rear(in our case-including bedroom!), but carpeted slideouts.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
KENLEEE

The slide on the driver's side has carpet, and there is an extention of the carpet onto the tile area, aprox. 3". The slide on the passenger side doesn't have any carpet, as it rises up. Why would anyone want to tile the floor od the slide, as it is not seen?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same feeling about the A/C. I just point the fins toward the outside walls to mitigate this potentially happening.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #11

Scott, I presume the AC's on the MADP 45' (3) are 15k. If not tell them that's what you want. They work great in any heat even facing the sun. I know your DSDP has three now, but probably 12.5k and with less insulation.

Peter
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Actually never had a problem in the worst heat. I have 3 15k A/Cs. I was just pointing out that I direct the fins out to prevent the cool air from being recirculated before it hits the floor. Not even sure it matters. Don't really care as long as I have 72 degrees.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #13

On that note, Scott. The MADP has the best designed ceiling in the industry, in my opinion. Obviously it got mixed up and should have been put in the Essex as it is far better looking than the "Cow Ceiling" of the EXDP. (Bob can shed light for anyone that wonders what "cow ceiling" is.
However, as every good thing normally has a trade off, the MADP cieling design provides not as good air circulation when in the all slides full retracted mode as does others, like the "Cow Ceiling". But....... I would easily put up with that to have the great look of the MADP ceiling.

Peter
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the MADP cieling design provides not as good air circulation when in the all slides full retracted mode as does others </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard several MADP owners complaining about this.

It doesn't look like an impossible task to fix it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote