Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

suburban water heater cleaning

I replaced the anode on the water heater and ran across a video using vinegar to clean the water heater of scale. Has anyone done this? In the vid they suggest using the winterrizing kit to put the vinegar in the tank. Having never done the winterizing process, Im wondering if the clear hose puts the water directly into the hot water tank? I dont want to fill a water tank with vinegar.

Any thoughts?
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I replaced the anode on the water heater and ran across a video using vinegar to clean the water heater of scale. Has anyone done this? In the vid they suggest using the winterrizing kit to put the vinegar in the tank. Having never done the winterizing process, Im wondering if the clear hose puts the water directly into the hot water tank? I dont want to fill a water tank with vinegar.

Any thoughts?
We clean our system at least once, sometimes twice in a season depending on the hardiness of the water we encounter during our travels. It will help keep the calcium/lime buildup down considerably in your plumbing and fixtures resulting in a smoother flow.

We use a ratio of (1) gal of generac white vinegar per 15 gal of water. I usually end up putting (6) gals of vinegar into the fresh tank using the winterizing hose on the pump followed by 5gals or so of freash water using the same method. You then fill the rest of the tank with fresh water the normal way by connecting the hose to the rv's fresh water connection. Turn your bypass valves so the water heater fills then turn each external/internal fixtern on untill you smell vinegar. This will dissolve any lime/calcium deposits in the lines and any screens in the faucetts. Let everything sit 4-6 hrs then drain the tank and water heater before refilling with freash water. One refill with fresh water will usually get rid of any residual vinegar smell.

Don't forget to check the input screen/washer on your freshwater hose connection. Most 12v pumps will also have a wire screen filter on the inlet pump side that will cleaning possibly.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
JC2 uses the same procedure that I do and has worked well for me.

I usually sterilize the tank first with plain bleach. The vinegar will change the composition of (neutralize) the bleach. I also pull the anode rod and flush the tank through the anode port.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

Went through it today, worked fine, thanks.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post

Any thoughts?
SeattlePirat,

Glad you got through the process and got your water heater all cleaned out!

I had the same concern that you did about using the winterizing tube... thought that it would fill the fresh water tank with vinegar. Not sure what video you watched about the process... I found this one when I did mine: HOW TO: Flush a Suburban RV Water Heater - YouTube

Just be sure that your "Tank Fill" valve is set to "Off" (just like if you were running from City Water)... so the vinegar can't get to the fresh water tank. When you start the process, you drain the water out of your water heater tank... so when you use the pump to pull the vinegar into the system, the water heater is the only "void" in the system that is available to be filled.

It seems counter-intuitive, but it works!

Tags
heater, water