Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 03:39 AM   #421

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
No, definitely not. I'm just an avid RV fan interested in boondocking (I hate RV campgrounds) so am just looking for ways to make it more enjoyable. I just happened to run across that shower and thought it sounded like a great fit for boondocking, sorry if that came off like a sales pitch. I have no idea if something like this would work in an RV (it was clearly designed for in home use).
There was someone pitching it at the FMCA Rally, or one like it.

I've got it on my list right behind composting toilets...🤤
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #422

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider creating a documentation team that creates professional owner's manuals like we experience with the automotive industry. Several owners are disappointed with the owner's manuals for our expensive coaches. We expect better as a whole. In the software industry there is a field for technical writes, I'm sure the same applies in the auto industry to produce professional documentation for each coach Newmar produces. Please consider improvements to your documentation and manuals going forward.

Current manuals are minimal at best which put an excessive work load on your call center who provide great service to owners but their work load could be reduced by better technical documentation.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #423
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few questions when this yearly changing manual is change every year for any changes from previous year, how much work is it to print all these new manuals every year?
How much of a cost will they be for the new year and who will be paying these costs?
Is it just a matter of pushing a button and they can all be produced?
Seeing that us old timers never pushed Newmar into publishing a new manual every year and we now have a new breed of new owners that will make all the corrections to get Newmar on board, I some times wonder how we all survived all these years with the problems we had to solve.
Maybe you all should read this owners thread and maybe you all can have a learning experience in getting things done.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #424

Having owned a 2014 Ventana 4037 since December, all I can ask of of Newmar is that they put the best quality seating and appliances in all of their products, not what happens be be on sale when they are buying components. I'm very disappointed with the quality of the dinette and microwave we got with our unit. It is not the quality that Newmar and its owners promote online.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Consider creating a documentation team that creates professional owner's manuals like we experience with the automotive industry. Several owners are disappointed with the owner's manuals for our expensive coaches. We expect better as a whole. In the software industry there is a field for technical writes, I'm sure the same applies in the auto industry to produce professional documentation for each coach Newmar produces. Please consider improvements to your documentation and manuals going forward.

Current manuals are minimal at best which put an excessive work load on your call center who provide great service to owners but their work load could be reduced by better technical documentation.
I agree 100%. The owners' manuals should come in two versions. One that answers common questions and problems and gets new owners up and running with every component and appliance from day one. And a second that gives all of the technical tips and details that do-it-youself folks need to maintain their sanity.

Newmar, like most of its competitors, skips the hard work of writing decent manuals. Instead, it sends some of the manuals produced by its component suppliers.

And most of those suppliers produce horrible, unusable manuals.

Tip: Newmar, buy components produced by companies that write clear, useful and user friendly manuals. Give your customers intuitive technology, not crap like the electric shades that enrich your dealers' service departments every time they lose their programming.

If Newmar bought great components that came with great manuals and produced the best manuals in the industry, it would have a much greater competitive advantage than it gets from its "comfort drive", which seems to be the only thing it offers that is much better than you get from its competitors. Ok, the drawers stay closed, too.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I realize the entry door steps are a 3rd party product but it doesn't mean Newmar can't call for this innovation.

The idea is a stair system that extends to and finds the ground. It's not fixed at 2, 3, or 4 steps, it could have 10 for example. But they continue to unfold and extend until the surface is reached. No need for additional steps/stands we sometimes need for odd leveling conditions that cause the stairs to be high. Entry door stairs should be sufficient for all conditions and by extending to the surface it's better for those that need assistance and can't make big leaps as well as for pets.
Yep, my 5' wife needs an extra stool/step on the ground. And the inside steps are too high for her new knees.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #427
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As with any devise you can change to a better one, you bought the coach you could have decided not to before check was issued.

My answer for your consideration for more expensive Owners Guides, thanks for responding to thread.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #428

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4218871]A few questions when this yearly changing manual is change every year for any changes from previous year, how much work is it to print all these new manuals every year?
How much of a cost will they be for the new year and who will be paying these costs?
Is it just a matter of pushing a button and they can all be produced?
Seeing that us old timers never pushed Newmar into publishing a new manual every year and we now have a new breed of new owners that will make all the corrections to get Newmar on board, I some times wonder how we all survived all these years with the problems we had to solve.
Maybe you all should read [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mountainaire-back-from-the-dead-394089.html#post4217005
this owners thread[/URL][/B] and maybe you all can have a learning experience in getting things done.
Our manuals (we have 3) were custom printed for our coach.

If the base documents are stored on hard drive the clerk selects the appropriate sections/components for the build and sends them to the printer. The sections are then printed, collated and bound.

One person should be able to create 40 - 50 manuals per week.

At issue is the writing and updating of the manuals. Versioning will help, however many times the third party providers may not update their manuals for every hardware change or distribute them in a timely manner. Consequently pictures, etc. may be out of date.

The big question - after the manuals are printed and sent out with the unit is how many will actually read them? Or phone the help center because it is easier?

Solution may be to put all of the information on line and have the appropriate sections linked to your unit. Then each owner can download the manuals they are interested in. Easy to suggest this but it would be an interesting issue to address.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #429
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Gordon for your post very informative.
As you said if people do not read information and they are lost as how to get answer, its all for nothing.
With all the links and instructions on this forum people can still be lost or buried in the information.
We have some excellent owners on forum for answers, still people can't figure what it all means, just wanted to push a button and its not working.
Have a good day and safe travels.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:46 AM   #430

Now-a-days, it's not necessary to print the manual. Just have the files available on an online server with paid for access to offset the cost of preparing the contents.

Yeah, I don't want to pay for this stuff either, but I would rather have the content if I need it.

For example, when I replaced my RV batteries, I thought I had a picture of the connections. On putting the new ones in, I realized I didn't. Newmar didn't have the full documentation. Just "how to make 12 volts of out 6 volt batteries" basic info that for me was worthless. I had to spend literally a half day to trace down each wire, see what it does, mark it, and connect. I would have paid $50 for the day access to the content.

I did the above for FCA years ago. All of the dealer and support technical content was on large servers. The content went back to the 80's. The dealers see it as "TechConnect". The consumers and 3rd party garages see it as "Tech Authority". One of the most used systems Chrysler has. About 10 years ago, I developed a pair of glasses that superimposed the content over the vehicle (When "Google Glass" wasn't even a glimmer in the eye). Wiring diagrams right in front of you. Same digital content, different delivery mechanism. Some of the content was even in 3D (reuse of the engineering CATIA blue prints). The glasses never made production - too beta.

If Heavy Truck is like Light Duty and automotive, there is some content that HAS to be in paper by law. But not much. In another project about 5 years ago, I developed "In Vehicle Help" which is an app that much of the owner content is available on the vehicle's "head unit" (radio) screen. Critical content is stored locally in the car. All other content on the same cloud servers TechConnect uses. There is still a small paper owner's kit in the glovebox with critical information like "jump starting your car". Stuff you might need to know and can't view on the screen (battery is dead).

I remember when the Viper was first being conceived that there was such a small glovebox that the traditional paper Owner's kit wouldn't fit. There was much discussion of giving a "Palm Pilot" (remember that?) to each customer. Ultimately the glove box was made bigger.

This In Vehicle Help app received highest customer satisfaction awards of all apps we created (and in the industry). The content can be updated over the vehicle's cellular connection, or via USB stick. The RV industry is years behind automotive. But it will eventually get there. If Newmar wants to know how, give me a call
Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #431

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you sign up for access to DTNA...you can look at the wiring diagrams, parts lists etc...for your Freightliner chassis...I would imagine Spartan has something similar. My Jeep doesn't come with that kind of service.

As for the house...it isn't much different than a real sticks and bricks. Newmar has blueprints...like a house would have...and they throw into the black bag all the literature that came with each third party part or appliance they installed. I think a home built today wouldn't come with much more in the way of literature. They certainly don't come with a hotline to call in with questions...
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #432

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Our manuals (we have 3) were custom printed for our coach.

If the base documents are stored on hard drive the clerk selects the appropriate sections/components for the build and sends them to the printer. The sections are then printed, collated and bound.

One person should be able to create 40 - 50 manuals per week.

At issue is the writing and updating of the manuals. Versioning will help, however many times the third party providers may not update their manuals for every hardware change or distribute them in a timely manner. Consequently pictures, etc. may be out of date.

The big question - after the manuals are printed and sent out with the unit is how many will actually read them? Or phone the help center because it is easier?

Solution may be to put all of the information on line and have the appropriate sections linked to your unit. Then each owner can download the manuals they are interested in. Easy to suggest this but it would be an interesting issue to address.

Gordon,

Since you are driving a Winnebago Tour (Nice Coach!) you probably are not aware of Noogle. This is Newmars implementation of the last paragraph of you post - specific online documents, mostly third party vendor material, tailored to each coach. Its a resource that is evolving, but many Newmar owners find it a better resource than digging through the Black Box of paper that comes with the coach.

But Noogle doesnt make up for the lack of detailed electrical drawings and other resources that are available to Winnebago owners.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #433

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Gordon,

Since you are driving a Winnebago Tour (Nice Coach!) you probably are not aware of Noogle. This is Newmar’s implementation of the last paragraph of you post - specific online documents, mostly third party vendor material, tailored to each coach. It’s a resource that is evolving, but many Newmar owners find it a better resource than digging through the Black Box of paper that comes with the coach.

But Noogle doesn’t make up for the lack of detailed electrical drawings and other resources that are available to Winnebago owners.
Thanks Dan;
Was not aware of Noogle. It appears that many Newmar owners are unaware as well but some may become aware through your post. I will be sharing Noogle with a couple friends who have Newmars.

I expect manuals for Newmar may be more complex due to the degree of customization during construction.

IMO all owners must continue to encourage the manufacturers to improve their products and support. In the interim and the future I am really happy with those who provide information on my questions on common problems.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #434

LOL - it's actually "Newgle" https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-tools/newgle/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar