RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Sulphur Odor From Kitchen Faucet

I have a hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) odor coming from the cold water side of the kitchen faucet in my 2018 LADP. When the faucet is unused for a couple of hours the first cup or so of cold water really stinks. This does NOT occur on the hot side of the kitchen faucet or the hot or cold sides of the bathroom or shower faucets or toilets. I have thoroughly sanitized the fresh water tank and lines twice. The last time I sanitized, I drained the tank by running the bleach water through the cold water side of the kitchen sink into the grey tank. I removed and replaced the filter each time.

My guess is to replace the faucet. Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

I had a similar issue during Labor Day weekend after not using my motorhome since the July 4 weekend. The sour/sulfur odor was present while connected to city water at an RV park. Even after running the kitchen faucet for several minutes, the sour odor remained. The water at the "park" faucet had no odor so I had to do some investigating.

What I found was the "whole house" water filter (Filter Flow Pur brand) and especially the activated charcoal "filter cartridge" had a very strong sour/sulfur smell. As soon as I removed the charcoal element the water at the kitchen faucet became odorless. This is the first RV I've owned that has a "whole house" filter --> https://www.amazon.com/Watts-POE12GH...ateway&sr=8-77

What I learned is the filter remains full of water while the motorhome is in storage (even though low point drains are open) as the filter housing has no low point drain and I didn't think about opening the filter housing to dump remaining water. As such, the water in the filter housing can become stagnant and develop a strong odor which remains with the filter element.

After the Labor Day outing, I dumped remaining water from the filter housing before putting the motorhome in storage. I'll use the motorhome again in early October and will check the activated charcoal filter element to see if it has a foul odor. If a foul odor is present, I'll trash the filter cartridge and return to using the "hose" filter which I've used for many years without problems --> https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...dDbGljaz10cnVl

If your London Aire has a similar whole house water filter as my Ventana, you may have the encountered the same stagnant water / smelly filter cartridge problem I had.

I'd like to know from the forum how that care for their whole house filters while their motorhome is in storage for several weeks.

fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

We have the exact same problem. Only from the kitchen sink on cold, no where else. Our water is city water, nothing coming from the fresh water tank (at least not on purpose). Following this thread with great interest.
jeffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Stinky water

I have found if I do not use my RV for a month or so the water begins to smell. I found that if I drain the hot water tank that usually solves the problem. I also purify the tanks periodically with a chlorine solution 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of tank capacity as recommended in manual for Kountry Star.
okietraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okietraveler View Post
I have found if I do not use my RV for a month or so the water begins to smell. I found that if I drain the hot water tank that usually solves the problem. I also purify the tanks periodically with a chlorine solution 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of tank capacity as recommended in manual for Kountry Star.
The issues with the other coaches, are most likely from the water filter, yours is most likely from your propane water heater. Many propane water heaters have a sacrificial anode rod (big nut you can see when you remove he cover). As that anode rod wears out, it will cause the hot water to smell like sulfur. If yours is a sacrificial type anode, simply replace it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have exactly the same problem in my coach which is all electric, so propane isnít the problem. And since we live in the coach nearly all year, it isnít from stagnant water in the filter housing.

Since it only happens in the kitchen faucet, I am guessing it has something to do with the flexible hoses that connect the faucet in the slideout. But I canít imagine exactly what or how to test this theory.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

We have been living in our coach since the beginning of May. The odor problem started in mid July. Our coach is also all electric, so no propane. No other faucets have the odor. The odor is strong enough that we would smell it if the toilet filled with the smelly water. If we put the water from the kitchen sink (cold only) into a glass the small from the glass is very strong. We cannot drink water from the faucet. Water from elsewhere in the coach is fine.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Seems like the 3 coaches thus far with the same issue are all 2018's and all electric. The issue seems to be only with the cold water.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #9

My 2017 does the same thing, I think it's the filter also.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
My 2017 does the same thing, I think it's the filter also.
The filter cannot be the cause of the problem I described. The odor is at the kitchen faucet cold side only. A tainted filter would affect all water faucets, hot and cold, and the toilets.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had this problem after not using the coach for a month or so. Sanitized the system with bleach for about 8 hours (1/4 cup for every 15 gallons) and changed the filter, no more problem.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #12

Do you have an under-the-sink filter for the cold kitchen only?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The issues with the other coaches, are most likely from the water filter, yours is most likely from your propane water heater. Many propane water heaters have a sacrificial anode rod (big nut you can see when you remove he cover). As that anode rod wears out, it will cause the hot water to smell like sulfur. If yours is a sacrificial type anode, simply replace it.
I Change the anode rod when needed. Just changed and didn't relieve the problem. Sanitized system with chlorine bleach, problem solved.
okietraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Do you have an under-the-sink filter for the cold kitchen only?
No under sink filter cold water line goes directly into the faucet.

Tags
odor