Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Supporting tires off the ground.

I am a MH newbie and the newest owner of a beautiful 08 MountainAire. I read through the thread about the wisdom of leaving tires off the ground after leveling. As with most things, it appears there are nearly the same amount of folks on either side of the question. What I did not read is the best process for putting support under tires- other than driving up onto something. I also read that when you dump the air the coach can move 5-6" and thus possibly off what you intended to be under the tires? I am curious if you can use the manual leveling process to raise the coach, insert leveling pads and then re-level after the tires are supported. I am hoping someone has another
quick and easy solution-I already know the "move to a more level spot" suggestion.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

On our last coach I either just kicked the blocks under the tire after leveling or if really out I would lower it and drive up on my blocks. Kind of a pain but never liked having the wheels hanging
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi leesimonson,
What you posted is about the only way. For me, I'd just let the front tires hang. Rear tires need to be supported. This is where the parking brake is routed to. Technically the coach will not move once on jacks. But, why take the chance. And yes, the coach will not come down in the same place it was when you raised it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
On our last coach I either just kicked the blocks under the tire after leveling or if really out I would lower it and drive up on my blocks. Kind of a pain but never liked having the wheels hanging
We don't leaving the whee's hanging either. I know the jacks should handle the weight, but I'd rather the wheels carry some of it.

We pull in where we plan to park and check it with a 2' level. We know from experience how far off front to rear it can be before we'll need something under the tires. We're also pretty good about knowing how much based on the level. if needed, I just move a foot or so and put some leveling blocks down and drive up on them. Then level from there. It's quick and easy since we're not really trying to level it with the blocks.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Supporting tires off the ground.

Sometimes we let the air out of our bags before we pull onto my leveling blocks if I’m concern about tire position. Most of the time I just pull up on the pads then release air and recenter after coach lowers if needed before setting park brake. I could never lift my front tires off the ground because of the stupid 3 point lift on my coach. I always have to support some weight on my tires.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tires won't move off the blocks when you dump air... If you have the parking brake set....
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #7

How do they change a flat tire with the tires supported?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m in the “don’t leave wheels hanging” group. There’s one place we’ve stayed several times that’s unlevel enough that my front wheels would be “hanging”. I built ramps out of 2X12’s so that the front tires are supported.

Although my hydraulic leveling system is adequate to support the front, even if the front wheels are off the ground and the coach isn’t going to move when the brakes are parked and the rear tires are in contact with the ground, there could be other forces worthy of consideration.

Without going into all the math, a wind of 20mph exerts a pressure of 1.08 pounds per square foot (30 mph = 2.43 psf). Your Mountain Aire is almost 45’ long and 12’8” high. That’s almost 500 square feet of surface area on a side. A direct side wind of 20mph will exert a little more than 500 pounds of force on the side of your Mountain Aire (30 mph wind = more than 1,200 pounds of force). That’s more force than I care to have exerted only on the jacks.

OK, the wind speed to pounds per square foot conversion is accurate. There are, however, many variables in exactly how much of that force is translated to your jacks (the structural engineers are free to do those computations). There will be some side load on your jack struts. How much is too much? I don’t know. To quote Sergeant Harry Callahan, “Are you feeling lucky?”

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #9

I am in the don't have tires off the ground group. Read your manual. I would assume HWH knows more about their product than we do.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I’m in the “don’t leave wheels hanging” group. There’s one place we’ve stayed several times that’s unlevel enough that my front wheels would be “hanging”. I built ramps out of 2X12’s so that the front tires are supported.

Although my hydraulic leveling system is adequate to support the front, even if the front wheels are off the ground and the coach isn’t going to move when the brakes are parked and the rear tires are in contact with the ground, there could be other forces worthy of consideration.

Without going into all the math, a wind of 20mph exerts a pressure of 1.08 pounds per square foot (30 mph = 2.43 psf). Your Mountain Aire is almost 45’ long and 12’8” high. That’s almost 500 square feet of surface area on a side. A direct side wind of 20mph will exert a little more than 500 pounds of force on the side of your Mountain Aire (30 mph wind = more than 1,200 pounds of force). That’s more force than I care to have exerted only on the jacks.

OK, the wind speed to pounds per square foot conversion is accurate. There are, however, many variables in exactly how much of that force is translated to your jacks (the structural engineers are free to do those computations). There will be some side load on your jack struts. How much is too much? I don’t know. To quote Sergeant Harry Callahan, “Are you feeling lucky?”

Take care,
Stu
Without checking the math, I agree. Carry a couple 2*12 ramps, 2 or 3 boards tall. I don't like to leave my suspension hanging.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

I don't lift my wheels off the ground.

If the rear wheels are off the ground, your parking break is not holding your MH.

If your front wheels are off the ground, you probably have a pretty good climb to get up in your MH.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
I am a MH newbie and the newest owner of a beautiful 08 MountainAire. I read through the thread about the wisdom of leaving tires off the ground after leveling. As with most things, it appears there are nearly the same amount of folks on either side of the question. What I did not read is the best process for putting support under tires- other than driving up onto something. I also read that when you dump the air the coach can move 5-6" and thus possibly off what you intended to be under the tires? I am curious if you can use the manual leveling process to raise the coach, insert leveling pads and then re-level after the tires are supported. I am hoping someone has another
quick and easy solution-I already know the "move to a more level spot" suggestion.
Welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
Here is a link to help you get around irv2.
A Link for your coach for all your TSB's, recalls, brochure, owners guide and other info needed for your coach.
There is also a link sticky top of forum with info for you also.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
You do not lift your tires off the ground surface to place on blocks than level, your bags will drop coach and than you level to support the chassis frame and stabilize the coach, you may put wood pads under the jack pads if on soft ground for more support.
This link will describe manual leveling in the highlighted area.
Welcome also to the Newmar family and have safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV sits with the front wheels off the ground for 6-7 months at a time. The sloping driveway makes it necessary; it helps slow front spring sag.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
I don't lift my wheels off the ground.

If the rear wheels are off the ground, your parking break is not holding your MH.

If your front wheels are off the ground, you probably have a pretty good climb to get up in your MH.

Both excellent points!
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires