Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
From what I've read, the Progressive unit adds over and under current protection and better info display. If current in the campground drops below the level the Autoformer can compensate for, the Progressive unit will shut things down. Consensus is that your setup is power source, Autoformer, Progressive, RV.
If you have the Autoformer with the surge protection, why would you still need the Progressive?

Thanks,

G
georgeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
If you have the Autoformer with the surge protection, why would you still need the Progressive?

Thanks,

G
Choose an autoformer with the same protection features of the Surge Guard or Progressive and you won't need the Surge Guard nor the Progressive.

Had I not just had the Surge Guard 35550 installed in our Newmar, I'd be going with an autoformer instead.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Choose an autoformer with the same protection features of the Surge Guard or Progressive and you won't need the Surge Guard nor the Progressive.

Had I not just had the Surge Guard 35550 installed in our Newmar, I'd be going with an autoformer instead.
Ah got it.. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks for clarifying.

G
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #32

Quote:

I'll disagree. The autoformer can raise voltage, to a point. If the incoming voltage is too low, the autoformer will not raise it to a safe level. I don't think the autoformer will cut off power in this situation, so your electronics will be exposed to the brownout and possible damage. Progressive will cut off power if the voltage is either too low or too high, I don't think the autoformer does either.

Also Progressive checks for mis-wired situations and disconnect power if it sees them, not sure the autoformer handles these issues. A close reading of both manufacurers sites will give you the detailed list.

There used to be a lot of people recommending not daisy chaining surge suppressors. Both Hughes and Progressive have stated that using their two products together is completely safe and reliable. (I have an email from Progressive on this and have communicated with others who have the same from Hughes)

So the consensus opinion out there at this time seems to be - use both. Power source - autoformer - progressive - RV.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
I'll disagree. The autoformer can raise voltage, to a point. If the incoming voltage is too low, the autoformer will not raise it to a safe level. I don't think the autoformer will cut off power in this situation, so your electronics will be exposed to the brownout and possible damage. Progressive will cut off power if the voltage is either too low or too high, I don't think the autoformer does either.

Also Progressive checks for mis-wired situations and disconnect power if it sees them, not sure the autoformer handles these issues. A close reading of both manufacurers sites will give you the detailed list.

There used to be a lot of people recommending not daisy chaining surge suppressors. Both Hughes and Progressive have stated that using their two products together is completely safe and reliable. (I have an email from Progressive on this and have communicated with others who have the same from Hughes)

So the consensus opinion out there at this time seems to be - use both. Power source - autoformer - progressive - RV.
I stated that if you get an autoformer with the same protective qualities of the SurgeGuard, such a product may serve both functions.

Of course; if you can't find an autoformer with the same protective qualities of the SurgeGuard, get both!
Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
I stated that if you get an autoformer with the same protective qualities of the SurgeGuard, such a product may serve both functions.

Of course; if you can't find an autoformer with the same protective qualities of the SurgeGuard, get both!
Here is the manual for the Autoformer. Might be helpful.

https://hughesautoformers.com/wp-con...Guide_2015.pdf
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
Here is the manual for the Autoformer. Might be helpful.

https://hughesautoformers.com/wp-con...Guide_2015.pdf
George... With that particular unit/model, it appears that protection is offered for spikes and surges, but not for very low voltage. In the case of voltage so low that the auto former cannot boost enough, it goes into bypass, rather than shutting off power. And I didn't see a reference to ground faults.

I'm not looking for an autoformer at present, but others may benefit from reading the manual. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:50 PM   #36

Quote:
George... With that particular unit/model, it appears that protection is offered for spikes and surges, but not for very low voltage. In the case of voltage so low that the auto former cannot boost enough, it goes into bypass, rather than shutting off power. And I didn't see a reference to ground faults.

I'm not looking for an autoformer at present, but others may benefit from reading the manual. Thanks for the link.
I believe you are correct. That seems to be the only thing the Progressive would handle that the autoformer would not. Not sure how common it is to have the voltage that low where it would by pass, but good to know the differences.

So far the Autoformer has been working great for me. I will give it a good test when I get to Havasu in the summer when everyone has their air on!

G
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Learning from others

A few years ago I watched as the RV next to me had the televisions (3), microwave, home theatre and every other electronic device on board replaced. The owner said a surge protector would have prevented the damage.
I use a plug-in Progressive for the following reason: If the unit "blows", I can move on to better service, order a new one online (1 day delivery) and keep my coach running. If you "blow" a hard-wired surge protector, you will probably be out of business for at least a few days while getting it replaced.
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspokes1 View Post
A few years ago I watched as the RV next to me had the televisions (3), microwave, home theatre and every other electronic device on board replaced. The owner said a surge protector would have prevented the damage.
I use a plug-in Progressive for the following reason: If the unit "blows", I can move on to better service, order a new one online (1 day delivery) and keep my coach running. If you "blow" a hard-wired surge protector, you will probably be out of business for at least a few days while getting it replaced.
Hard wired is fine, but should include a means to easily bypass it when necessary.