RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #1

Surging H2O pump

Looking for a little assistance. We are in a local RV park for the month as we transition between households and the park has fairly poor H20 psi from spigot. Some hours of the day it's fine and can shower with moderately acceptable H2O psi and others you have to turn on H2O pump. Now with low psi and pump the pump will surge unless I partially crack another faucet. It is also doing the same from fresh H2O tank and only only faucet in use but runs contestant wit 2 faucets open. We took in in past for same and Tech said he removed the whole house filter and it worked fine. Well I replaced the filter went to MOAB and had great psi from source and had no issues. We removed the filter here to see if that helps and it didn't. This just doesn't seem correct to me, any assistance would be great if there's something I can do here before I take it back in to get it checked. Thanks, Brad

Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

does your pump have a screen before the pump? sometimes it gets dirt in it and needs cleaned. The pump might be able to be adjusted on the pump head. It seems like it is cycling because it wants to pump more water than you can use on one faucet. OR just replace pump.

Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

Your water pump is in need of adjustment. Google for instructions or you need a service tech if your not mechanically inclined. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same problem. On the intake side of the pump there is a filter that can get clogged. I didn't even know there was one there at the time. Remove it, clean it, or replace it.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Your water pump is in need of adjustment. Google for instructions or you need a service tech if your not mechanically inclined. Good luck.

Newaire1 is correct. Had same issue. Allen wrench adjustment is what is needed to adjust the pump engagement pressure.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #6

Thank you, I'll give that a try tomorrow
Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #7

Are the faucet aerators CLEAN?

Water pump is short cycling due to low flow
Pump starts on demand due to opening a faucet (pressure switch closes) then demand is low so pump discharge pressure builds up until pressure switch opens & pump stops
BUT there is still a demand so system pressure drops...switch closes/pump starts/switch opens/pump stops

Low demand on discharge side of pump causes the short cycling

Same cycling if using ALL cold,--- ALL hot ----- Combination of the two?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Hmf23,
Before doing anything, consider looking at the pump instructions to see if your pump has the adjustment mentioned earlier, where it is, what tool is needed and how the adjustment is made. Things can be different depending on the brand of pump.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - I am assuming that this is your model pump. If so, this is what you need.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I checked and adjusted my the pressure switch and all works well. Thanks again for the help, learning new things all the time.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Looking for a little assistance. We are in a local RV park for the month as we transition between households and the park has fairly poor H20 psi from spigot. Some hours of the day it's fine and can shower with moderately acceptable H2O psi and others you have to turn on H2O pump. Now with low psi and pump the pump will surge unless I partially crack another faucet. It is also doing the same from fresh H2O tank and only only faucet in use but runs contestant wit 2 faucets open. We took in in past for same and Tech said he removed the whole house filter and it worked fine. Well I replaced the filter went to MOAB and had great psi from source and had no issues. We removed the filter here to see if that helps and it didn't. This just doesn't seem correct to me, any assistance would be great if there's something I can do here before I take it back in to get it checked. Thanks, Brad
We have a 2019 dutch star and ours does the same thing. We were told that the water pump is powerful enough to handle multiple water outlets bring used at the same time. when only one outlet is being used it has more capacity than need which creates the surge. we tested their theory and it was confirmed.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #12

A pump surging under any circumstance requires a adjustment. A small flow to full flow should not surge.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

I agree with OB
"Water pump is short cycling due to low flow
Pump starts on demand due to opening a faucet (pressure switch closes) then demand is low so pump discharge pressure builds up until pressure switch opens & pump stops
BUT there is still a demand so system pressure drops...switch closes/pump starts/switch opens/pump stops
Low demand on discharge side of pump causes the short cycling"

This is exactly how mine works - especially when brushing my teeth and I leave a trickle running.
When I turn on the tap full, no pulsing. Never have pulsing in the shower.
My pump is a 4 gpm shureflow and is 2 years old.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote