Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #1

Is there a way to adjust the air pressure on the tag axle of my 1998 Newmar Kountry Star Gas RV? I filled up at a truck stop and then weighed it and the slip showed that the tag axle weighed 5500 lbs. It is rated at 4000 lbs I think. The drive axle weighed 8440 and it's rated at 11000. I was thinking that if I could reduce the air pressure on the tag axle, I would transfer some of that weight onto the drive axle. I don't have any water in the RV and the holding tanks are empty. I just had a washer/dryer installed, but according to the Splendide website, it only weighs 150 lbs. I think the empty rear end of the coach is putting that weight on the tag axle. Does anyone know if the air pressure is adjustable?

Milwaukee Wisconsin
wfederle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should have what looks like a tire valve near a rear fender or out back near number plate one for each bag. You should be able to release the air from these valves. If you can't find you may have to crawl under coach an follow air tubes from top of bags to locate. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #3

I do have those valves but my tag axle is pumped up by an electric pump located in one of the compartments underneath. If I let air out of the valve, won't the pump just pump it back in? Do you know if there is an adjustment to cause the pump to not put so much pressure in the air bags?

Thanks for yor reply.

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have a gage an relief valve near dash to control your air pressure or the same near your pump. The pump should have some info on it indecating pressure set. Is there a tee from pump to both bags OR do the bags each have a electric control valve? There must be a control some place that you haven't found yet. You can call Newmar repair center give them your coach # so they can look up the type tagaxel you have. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I'll look at the pump.

Milwaukee Wisconsin