Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Tag axle air dump operation

Trying to get a handle on how this works. I understand the idea is to dump the air bags on the tag when making sharp turns.

In reverse gear, the documentation says the air will automatically dump. How would I know if it is working or not.... should I be able to see or hear something ? How long should it take... ie should I wait a minute or so to allow the air to dump ?

In a forward gear, there is a button to push to cause an air dump. From other posts (no other documentation ?), I believe this only can happen if travelling less than 5 MPH. And, the air will fill back up when you get to 20 MPH ? Again, how would I know if this is working ? Should I wait a minute or so to start the turn to allow time for the air to dump ?

Thank you in advance.
xv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

You know it's working because the dash display says "tag dumped".

If you have the window open and stopped you will hear the air release.

The auto dump in reverse only works when the switch is in auto.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Dumping the tag in our coach only takes seconds.

In reverse the switch must be in auto. We can defeat it by leaving the switch in Off. Our tag inflates automatically at 8 mph.

With our tag dumped the tag will slide under braking whenever the tag is on loose material. When backing into or driving out of our storage shed with a gravel surface the tag will slide if I feather the brakes to control the entrance/exit speed. So I line up on the entrance with the tag dumped and then turn the switch off to drive in and do the steps in reverse when leaving.

We leave the tag on auto the rest of the time.

I have found that in order to have the tag work on auto for moving forward we have to manually dump the tag and leave the switch on auto each time the coach is started. The tag will continue to dump at less than 8 mph in forward until the switch is turned to off or the ignition is turned off. It will not dump even though the switch is in auto going forward until manually dumped!!!

I can feel the difference on pavement while turning if the tag is dumped or not. IMO the very real advantage for a passive steer tag is you do not have to remember to dump it when going forward after each engine start. For the other advantages I will continue to use my air dump.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
My tag axle does not have "passive steer".....there is no "auto" setting. Further, there is no "tag dumped" message.

I can't hear anything dumping when outside, but I tested it inside the building with the window down and I can hear air dumping when I push the button....seems like it keeps dumping so long as I keep my finger on the button.

Not sure if that's the way it is supposed to work.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

This is an issue that has been discussed in this forum before because the description in the Freightliner manual does not agree with the way Newmar has installed it. The Newmar switch does not agree with the Freightliner description as the Newmar switch has 3 positions and the Freightliner only has 2 positions. In my experience non of the above descriptions are correct. The tag will always dump in reverse no matter what position the switch is in. The "off" position does nothing as this is not supported by Freightliner. "Manual" is a toggle switch. Press it once and the tag will always dump when your forward speed drops below 8mph. Press it again and it does not dump going forward.
A group of us had a long discussion with the instructor at Camp Freightliner about this issue and he was baffled that Newmar coaches had a different switch to what Freightliner had supplied. Just play with it and see how yours functions.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 3 position rocker switch. Off - Auto - Dump.

Tag Dump Position
This mode is activated when the following
conditions are met.
• The tag-axle suspension dump switch is
momentarily pressed to toggle the tag-axle
control module into the dump mode.
• The vehicle speed is less than 8 mph.
• The vehicle is in neutral or forward gear.

Auto Dump Position
• This mode is activated automatically when in
reverse gear, when the Tag Axle switch is in
the MIDDLE position. The Auto Dump
feature gives you better maneuverability
while driving in reverse.

Off Position
• The Tag Dump mode is inactive when the Tag
Axle switch is in the OFF position.

This is on a Tour. I cannot understand why the coach manufacturer would change the operation of the system provided by Freightliner.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Gordon, you appear to have the Freightliner switch which functions as described in the Freightliner manual. However the Newmar switch is different and does not appear to function as Freightliner describes it. In the picture below you can see that the normal level position is labelled "disabled", however I can assure you it works as you describe when your switch is in the "auto" level position. The toggle on my switch is at the bottom, not the top as yours is. So you can understand perhaps why Newmar owners are totally confused by this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag switch.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	139336  
Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Have to agree I have not seen this rocker switch. Our switch looks the same but is not labeled the same. The top two on ours are the same as yours (auto/tag dump). Is this a 4 position switch or is Disable/Manual on the bottom?

I am also interested if you have another switch or control that you can use when you are in the manual mode if it is a 4 position. From the picture it looks like it is sitting in the center position.

Obviously they simplified the tag control in our coach so I could understand and run it.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

Confusing isn't it! "Tag Dump" is just the name of the switch. There are 3 positions. Top is labelled "Auto", center is "Disable" and bottom (toggle action) is "manual". I usually leave it in the center (Disable) position and this is obviously the position it returns to when you press the toggle (manual) part of the switch. As far as I can tell the top (auto) position does nothing different than the center position. There is no other switch.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Confusing isn't it! "Tag Dump" is just the name of the switch. There are 3 positions. Top is labelled "Auto", center is "Disable" and bottom (toggle action) is "manual". I usually leave it in the center (Disable) position and this is obviously the position it returns to when you press the toggle (manual) part of the switch. As far as I can tell the top (auto) position does nothing different than the center position. There is no other switch.
John;
The switch is certainly labeled differently.

It is really confusing and somehow makes does not much sense.

Our switch will only remain in two positions (down and center) and will not stay in the up/forward position. I push Tag Dump (up) and the tag will dump in forward but the switch returns to the auto position (your Off) in the center. I push it again to Tag Dump and the tag fills (below 8 mph) in forward and the tag will not dump at any time in forward until I push (cycle) it again.

Reverse automatically dumps when in the switch is in the auto position. In my Off (your Manual) position the tag will not dump in either forward or reverse.

Tongue in Cheek - buy a WGO and the switch may/will be less confusing!!! LOL
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Tongue in Cheek - buy a WGO and the switch may/will be less confusing!!! LOL
2 years ago we were looking at the Journey 40U handicap version until Winnebago told us they would not be building the 40U for 2015 so the handicap conversion would no longer be available. So a Newmar by default.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
This coach is on a Spartan chassis....not Freightliner. I guess that makes it even more confusing. My switch looks like this:

I did some further testing. With the ignition on but the engine not running I can easily hear the air dumping...... it only dumps while my finger is on the button...takes about 2 minutes to completely dump..... maybe it only needs to dump some air, not all, to achieve what it needs to do to take the weight off the tag ? The button is not in a very handy place.... and I might need 2 hands to steer so this doesn't seem like a good design ?

I needed the engine running to test the dump in Reverse gear. Sounds like it keeps dumping while I'm in reverse. Again, I'm not sure if I should delay backing up for a minute or so to get sufficient air dumped.

Regards and thankyou for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160919_143820.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	139356  
Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #13

I guess after all this we never really addressed your specific problem. I thought the Spartan would have an auto dump option but it seems not. I wonder if it will dump the tag driving at 60mph if you hold that button down? I hope not. Perhaps it's time to call Spartan.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv108 View Post
This coach is on a Spartan chassis....not Freightliner. I guess that makes it even more confusing. My switch looks like this:

I did some further testing. With the ignition on but the engine not running I can easily hear the air dumping...... it only dumps while my finger is on the button...takes about 2 minutes to completely dump..... maybe it only needs to dump some air, not all, to achieve what it needs to do to take the weight off the tag ? The button is not in a very handy place.... and I might need 2 hands to steer so this doesn't seem like a good design ?

I needed the engine running to test the dump in Reverse gear. Sounds like it keeps dumping while I'm in reverse. Again, I'm not sure if I should delay backing up for a minute or so to get sufficient air dumped.

Regards and thankyou for your assistance.
Mine (2005 Essex on Spartan K2) looks exactly like yours. Can't remember the last time I used it. Can't remember the last time I used the jacks either (another bunch of switches that look "different").
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH my panel pic small .JPG
Views:	212
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	139361