Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

Tag axle coaches-----

What made Newmar decide to NOT build a 40 foot coach with a single rear axle? I am looking at buying a new coach. I am looking at a Winnebago/Itasca 40U vs. Newmar Ventana. I like the similer Vantana but it is only available with a tag axle. I do not full time. But of my friends who do, NONE have a need for the extra GVWR that the tag adds------or the extra cost, etc. Does anyone have insight on this subject?
gyoungbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

I believe the tag axle was needed for the new coaches to carry the additional weight of the now required enviromental equipment which included the tank and extremely heavy muffler assembly. I think it is nearly an extra 1500 lbs. or so.

Peter
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Diesel pusher with big engine + tiled floors + granite worktops + solid timber furniture + lots of batteries + lots of water + toys + lots of bling ++++ means that a single dual-wheel axle exceeds the allowable axle weight.
36' seems to be easy to keep the whole rig within limits but over that it gets harder unless you are prepared to accept a few less of life's big luxuries
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

I believe Peter is correct.

I would be even more concerned with the drivetrain set-up they have on these new tag-axle Ventanas. These are heavy rigs.... GVWR #44,000lbs. with a CGWR of #54,000lbs....and they are only using 380hp/1050lb/ft .... Cummins ISC's with a single stage exhaust brake (J brake optional). Way under-powered in my opinion.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoungbmw View Post
What made Newmar decide to NOT build a 40 foot coach with a single rear axle? I am looking at buying a new coach. I am looking at a Winnebago/Itasca 40U vs. Newmar Ventana. I like the similer Vantana but it is only available with a tag axle. I do not full time. But of my friends who do, NONE have a need for the extra GVWR that the tag adds------or the extra cost, etc. Does anyone have insight on this subject?
One thing, that has recently changed, was that the Federal Bridge weight law only allowed a drive axle to weigh 20,000#'s. Over that required a tag.
But just a few months ago they wrote an exception into the law for RV's and they can now go to 24,000#'s on a single axle.
Our DSDP has a 19,000# rated (by Newmar) rear axle. Spartan says it's a 20,000# axle and no reason for Newmar to derate it.
With about a half tank of water we're a little over 19,000 now and we're not loaded for full timing, most of the bedroom drawers and closet space is empty. We could use the extra capacity a tag would give but I'd hate to lose the storage space too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

We've had a 40 ft non-tag, a 43 ft tag and now a 45 ft tag coach. We love the tag axle for several reasons. 1) tag is more stable in a cross wind 2) tag is less apt to porpoise 3) when exiting gas stations etc where there's a curb or depression the tag doesn't rock side to side as much 4) the tag axle adds more braking capacity and 5) last but not least, as everyone has mentioned, you're more likely to have greater payload capacity with the tag axle.
joelyn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

We have'nt mentioned a big bennifit of the tag coach, It Looks Cool. Anyway, here is an short article summing up the advantages of a tag vrs. a single axle. Justifying A Tag Axle On Your Next Coach!

Peter
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
We have'nt mentioned a big bennifit of the tag coach, It Looks Cool. Anyway, here is an short article summing up the advantages of a tag vrs. a single axle. Justifying A Tag Axle On Your Next Coach!

Peter
Thanks for the link!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoungbmw
I understand and yield to Jack on the weight BUT the tag is the only way to go as for safety and ride. I would like a 40' with a tag that is if the power and frame are right, I would imagine if the power was off Newmar will remedy that someway. I think in the future tags will be the norm, I am sure others will choose to diasagree and insist on being wrong. Just kidding, but still right
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Space is one thing, but I've seen many posts by new 40' coach owners that were distressed to find out they had very limited CCC (cargo carry capacity), some less than 2k lbs! While that is not the case with all 40' motor homes, it is much more of a challenge to build a 38 or 40' coach with all the amenities today's RVer wants and keep it within the legal axle weight limits. The new exemption mentioned above (up to 24k lbs per axle) may see improvement in that area.

For what it's worth, with full fuel and fresh water we still had 8,800 lbs of CCC. For full timing I wanted excess capacity rather than marginal.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was excited about the future possibility of being able to get a 40' coach with a tag axle. We are looking at either the Ventana or Dutch Star 4018 model. Am currently waiting for our local dealer to get one in so we can take a look and test drive it. I understand the loss of under storage space and will sure take a look at that aspect when we get to look over the coach. I appreciate all these comments as they help me to understand and evaluate all sides of the issues and what to look for.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I drive a 43' 425, plenty of storage and get good mileage. The only problem is when we are on the road sometimes hard to find a site with plenty of room, especially trees. Other than that I would not change a thing.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Keep an eye on the front axle capabilities. The tag will add to the rear and will help with the DEF machines but how much will you have on the front. In higher end RVs with an aqua heat kind of system the forces more basement storage forward. I think the newer ones are a bit more stout than those of even 6 years ago but when they start loading up heavy tile through out the front of the coach it all adds up.

I wish the weight sticker from the manufacturer provided at least each axle's weight. 4/6 corners would be nice but having full axle weights would be a good starting point.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
I understand and yield to Jack on the weight BUT the tag is the only way to go as for safety and ride. I would like a 40' with a tag that is if the power and frame are right, I would imagine if the power was off Newmar will remedy that someway. I think in the future tags will be the norm, I am sure others will choose to diasagree and insist on being wrong. Just kidding, but still right
X2 on the tag axle! Had a 39 ft w/o tag crosswinds were a real problem. Now have a 44 ft coach with the tag large, very large difference in handling! Seems IMHO that a 40 to 42 ft coach w/o tag would result I a very difficult handling problem!.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote