Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #1

what if the big difference with a tag. I know it will be longer. will it drive much better???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #2

what if the big difference with a tag. I know it will be longer. will it drive much better???
Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #3

TAG..I feel it gives a more stable ride..both on uneven turns and straight line..better braking and more weight capacity
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I do not have a tag, wish I did. Stability and weight carrying capability are the big +s, for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #5

As mentioned the extra weight capacity is certainly a great feature of the tag as is some additional braking. As far as driving stability I don't know. Perhap only in high winds, but a well balanced single rear axle should match it otherwise in my opinion. There is however far better stability in the case of a rear tire blowout as two remaining tires will handle the overload far better than one. The tag also has a much longer drive shaft which substantially reduces the u-joint angles during heavy suspension deflections and for moving at full aired down position.
But..... One of the BIGGEST benefits....... It Looks Cool!

Peter
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I went through this same analysis last fall as I was moving out a non-tag coach. I got great input from this forum. Overwhelming feedback is:

tracks better down the highway
better stability
better ride
obviously you get the option of larger floor plans and more carrying capacity.

Also, one thing that came across loud & clear, once you go tag you never go back. My father in law has a single axle too. Drove mine once and now is looking at Tags. After having owned mine for a few months and 5,000 miles, I would agree.

However, there is an obvious cost difference and many single axle coaches drive great. It may not be worth it to you. I have never driven a single axle Newmar or any Spartan chassis product. It may suit you fine as my choice was primarily based on a larger floor plan for my family.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Peter is correct. There is a definite cool factor.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #8

With a ME you don't need a tag as the weight is balanced properly. Almost like driving a sports car. Do notice a little front end movement which does not appear to becoming from the "tail wagging the dog'.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With a ME you don't need a tag as the weight is balanced properly. Almost like driving a sports car. Do notice a little front end movement which does not appear to becoming from the "tail wagging the dog'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In theory, that makes sense. In reality the center of gravity is nearly the same. On the ME models the manufacturers have to move the weight back even more to that of a DP. Basically both end up with about 90% of front axle capacity used, with the identical axle.
However, the handling may be better as there is far less weight aft of the rear axle where leverage multiples the load.

Peter
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
cwg

One of the considerations with a tag axle not mentioned specifically yet is the tag assembly will generally take 2 1/2 feet of storage space from the coach, generally one storage bay.

While most rigs which are longer have tags, manufacturers like Country Coach have produced models under 40 ft. due to the greater carrying capacity... the rig can have more amenities as marble or granite flooring.

Having said that, this is the first tag axle I have had, and I doubt I would ever return to a single rear axle setup. The turning radius concerns I had are not a consideration, and as Peter said, the coolness factor is an intangible, but noteworthy aspect.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #11

With IFS, my 43' Spartan Mountain Master GT tag turns tighter and is easier to back in than my former 40' single axle Freightliner chassis. Never have to worry about carrying too much, just need to be careful where you load. I am always close to the maximum load on my front axle. By the way, no more white knuckles when a semi goes flying by. Steady as she goes.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote Lug Nut wrote:
In theory, that makes sense. In reality the center of gravity is nearly the same. On the ME models the manufacturers have to move the weight back even more to that of a DP.

Sorry don't agree-with a 42-43' DP without a tag there is a big difference of the rear weight distribution relative to the position of the rear axle vs a ME-which makes the tag more necessary for ride, etc on a DP.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry don't agree-with a 42-43' DP without a tag there is a big difference of the rear weight distribution relative to the position of the rear axle vs a ME-which makes the tag more necessary for ride, etc on a DP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know too many 42/43 footers that don't have a tag, in fact I can't think of one. Longest rig I know of is 41'. Which unit are you referring to?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #14

By the way, I'm referring to DP's being generally a max of 41', not ME's.