Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Taking friends or family RV'ing - things to know?

7 months into my RV'ing and of course loving it. Just me and my four legged companion. My VTDP 4037 I believe only has two sleep areas: King Bed in bedroom, Queen sofa bed. Don't think jack knife can be used at the same time as the queen bed.

I want to take family on a trip, i.e. mother and her dog, and another trip sister and her husband (and maybe their two dogs).

I'm pretty settled in taking ownership of about every cabinet No, they are not full, several overhead both sides are empty and I can probably "unspread out" my stuff into one vertical cabinet and 2-3 drawers.

When people come along with you do they bring luggage? Where do you have them put their stuff? Give them various overhead and bedroom cabinets I presume. Seems stupid, I know, but I just want to see how others handle having friends along. Bathroom/shower etiquette and also their bathroom stuff?

What is there to know in coaches like ours and taking along friends/family?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Only gym/duffel bags...they stow under table or in the toad while driving.
What they take to the bath room comes back out and is stowed for the day.
SERIOUS discussion regarding what goes down the hole

Will Rogers..."fish and company three days"

We have couple of folks that can go longer than three, but three on a first try will be enlightening even in the best situation.

It is fun to share...sometimes
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Only gym/duffel bags...they stow under table or in the toad while driving.
What they take to the bath room comes back out and is stowed for the day.
SERIOUS discussion regarding what goes down the hole

Will Rogers..."fish and company three days"

We have couple of folks that can go longer than three, but three on a first try will be enlightening even in the best situation.

It is fun to share...sometimes
This sums it up for us as well, although the 12yr old grandaughter stayed a week. Very low maintenance. Adults a different story IMHO.

The most important discussion is in bold.......
Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As long as you have storage bay space, you can let them bring a small piece of luggage. I think you'll find that you'll have less clutter if you give them each a spot inside the coach for their stuff and leave their luggage in the storage bay. Politely mention that there is limited bathroom space and a small diddy bag that can be used in the bathroom and then put back in the cabinet they're using will work best.

Best suggestion.....Since it's family and will only be 2-3 days, bite your tongue if they do something stupid and remember, you don't ever have to invite them again if they're not good campers.

We've camped with friends and family over the years in separate RV's. With us, the family was easy to discuss issues that bothered us on a trip. With friends that's not as easy. Over the past 25 years, we've found one set of friends we've camped with comfortably during that entire time and have taken many long trips. We've camped with other friends that we limit the experience to under a week as we don't click well when camping for various reasons.

REMEMBER......Bite your tongue!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

I love taking Friends/Family camping with me, as long as they live and drive their own. I love our space, Period. Thank You very much.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #6

Put up a sign over the toilet that clearly states how to use it and what can, and cannot be flushed down it. There are many posts here from people who had guests that did not understand that and caused unfortunate problems...
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All luggage should be soft sided, no hard sided luggage as it is impossible to store efficiently.
NO CAMPING in the bathroom in the morning. When they get up, go potty and clear out for the next person to enter.
X2 on the use of the items that go down the hole and the use of the water/letting the faucet run, etc.
Hold your tongue.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Smile

Entertains 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2.

Well, except for a grandchild. Then all bets are off.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Find a site close to the restrooms/showers!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
"I have gotten you this very nice pup tent and air mattress. The bath house is right over there. You'll just love camping."

Tom
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #11

Ricci said it best!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
"I have gotten you this very nice pup tent and air mattress. The bath house is right over there. You'll just love camping."

Tom
The Queen bed folded out is, how do we say it, inconvenient. It is right in the middle of the living area. No one can go to bed until everybody goes to bed and then the Q-bed has to be put up for the day for things to function. Yep, pup-tents are good.

But, you may not mind. You will figure it out. We tried it a couple of times. We did not like it and our guest did not like it.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't take any moochers with you.
Pets are locked in a cage kept in the toad and not allowed to roam in the RV leaving their pee and poop for you to find later.
Guests are to pack like carry on at airlines with one soft side bag for clothes and personal item bag that is carried in and out of the bathroom.
Guests up first to tend to the pets while you use the bathroom.
You cook breakfast while they use bathroom.
Who cooks does not wash the dishes.
If you drive them around in your toad for sight seeing they pay for dinner out.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think this is coming down to me not asking people to come along but instead wait to be asked and then go from there. Glad I'm not alone in not really wanting to deal with this. Probably buzz kill for all sides.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving