Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Tales of an Old Newbie

Tales of an Old Newbie

Ten years ago, an early retirement from an engineering-type role. Now in our mid sixties. Traveling around searching for that “perfect” place to relocate. Year after year not finding that place wanting to buy into. We finally started discussing a recreational vehicle. Sounds right. Bringing your own bed, bathroom, belongings and easier travel with our furry child. So, the search began.
We started looking at used class C motorhomes. They always seemed to draw our attention when seeing them rolling down the road. Established a budget of $X. We started to examine floorplans, lengths, drivetrains, chassis and so on. Soon, the class C looked a little cramped.
We always thought of class A’s as being huge behemoths until we found that there are several sizes under 30 feet. As a bonus, these smaller A’s are gas driven. The exploration began in earnest and we found many floorplans that seemed right. Finally, we started to actually look at some.
We are only an hour and a little away from Elkhart, Indiana. Our first visit was to a dealer that was only a mile from the assembly plant. We stepped in and were appalled at the craftsmanship. The fit, finish and materials was quite simply horrible. A cabinet door broken off and sitting on the floor. Trim with gaps. Shower stall cladding that the adhesive was already let loose. We drove home literally stunned. Neither of us said a word for quite some time. We were both thinking that this is not for us if all manufacturers were this bad. We almost gave up.
We then re-explored a brand that I earlier dismissed as made from unobtanium. Such a high reputation that I did not even consider such a luxury class builder. That is until I discovered their shorter class A versions. After stepping in to a Newmar Bay Star Sport, we were immediately sold. The fit, finish and craftsmanship appeared impeccable. The floor plan we stepped into was not our first choice, but it was representative of the type of quality we expect. Cost per foot more than other brands, but quality does cost an extra bit, initially. Long term? Can be cheaper.
Started looking for a used class C costing $X and ending buying a new class A for $XX.
The floorplan of our choice was just not available within 1,500 miles. So, our nearest dealer had a place in the build order and we were able to use it to order the coach of our choice. Our very first recreational vehicle is a 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2705. 28 feet, V10 Ford with 6 speed gearbox. We chose the darker of the interior choices and the black/gray/silver exterior. Every option available except the electrical inverter was included.
Having the luxury of only an hour and 20 minutes away from the plant allowed us to see the coach in the 4 day final assembly process. A very special activity that we highly recommend. Impressive.
January 15, 2016 was delivery day. January in southwest Michigan can be an issue, weather-wise. Getting it ready for a maiden voyage in sub 20’s can really make you want to get outta town.
Maiden voyage on not only the coach, but its two owners as well. Flat-towing an Equinox. Destination? Warm weather. I should make tee shirts “Drive to 75”. 8 days after receipt, leaving town. Most would advise a night or two near home. Not us…southern Texas!
First night in Effingham, IL. Second night in West Memphis, AR, third night in Longview Texas and finally de-winterized. We could finally spend some time outside without 100 pounds of clothing.
1,243 miles
During those first 3 days of driving I became aware first hand of the 18 wheeler passing by that blow you off the road. The sawing of the steering wheel was exhausting. My arms were sore. Wow. What’d I get myself into? I recall reading all about these symptoms and probable solutions. I HAVE to do something! I revisited the cheap handling fix (CHF) of sway bar adjustments. Before leaving Longview, I did the rear CHF. Not only cheap ($0) but also quick and easy to do (for a former mechanic/engineer).
On the day trip further south to Houston, I could immediately tell the difference with the first passing truck. Simply amazing. I would estimate that it is 75% solved.
While in Houston, I did the CHF to the front sway bar, hoping to gain a little more cure. Not so lucky. I could not really detect any improvement.
In addition to the truck passing blow over, there was also the pulling to the right. I initially thought it to be road crown causing the coach to steer right. However, I found several roads with very little crown and without any winds, it was still pulling right. All the signs of an improper wheel alignment.
I contacted my dealer who involved Newmar, who involved Ford. After a long discussion and several attempts over several days, to find a shop in southern Texas somewhat in our path of travels was difficult. We finally chose to back-track a bit to Victoria, Texas.
The shop that Ford located was able to adjust the toe-out to a toe-in condition. Toe-out can present as a pull. This shop was not able to adjust camber or caster. Fortunately, they were OK. Unfortunately, the Ford mechanism is designed such that the steering wheel position cannot be adjusted to have the steering wheel straight and level while the coach is traveling straight. Ludicrous!! I guess you just have to trust that the wheels are going straight even though the steering wheel is canted one way or the other. Ford…you can do better.
Now at 1,822 miles.
Destination, Big Bend National Park. Overnight in Del Rio, then on west. Big Bend is huge. Long distances to and from anything. Scenery is gorgeous and worth the visit. After several days in the area we finally began inching our way north, through various small towns and enjoying being in parts of this great country we’ve not been to.
2,414 miles at the farthest point away from home
Always trying to improve, I am still not satisfied with the trucks pushing the coach around. Further research and I’m finding that there are products out there that report solving the exact condition I am experiencing. A rear track bar. Every mile I’m driving, I’m thinking about a rear track bar.
Finally, our maiden voyage came to an end after 31 nights and 4,279 miles. Average 7.43 miles per gallon. Average overnight fees $34. A short list of relatively easy things for our dealer to look at. We’re hooked and ready to get on the next adventure.
After much soul-searching we did get that rear track bar and I installed it the day before a 50 mile drive to the dealer. During that drive, only a few trucks went by, but those that did were nearly un-noticeable. My wife sitting in the right seat could also detect the improvement. Even being hyper-sensitive to the evaluation, the push seems solved. I’m still a bit angry that I had to spend over $600 to solve a problem that is widely accepted in the industry. Ford or the coach manufacturers could solve this for half that cost and it would not present as a problem to the customer.
After it’s all said and done, we’re sold. RVers we are.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new Bay Star. Also kudos for taking off for an extend trip the first time. You did amazingly well. It will only get easier and more fun from here on. We were definitely interested in the Sport but decided we couldn't live without a King Bed. Otherwise the 2705 was our model.

We have been going to the SoCal desert but Big Bend looks very interesting. Maybe for the winter of '17-'18 as we have plans already for the next one.

Happy traveling and congratulations.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the RV lifestyle!

Interesting to read of your experiences. We share your positive perceptions of life with Newmar. We just took possession of a 2016 VTDP after several years with a 2005 DSDP. We're also pulling an Equinox.

Comfort Drive seems to go a long way to solve the pull of passing trucks. While our coach is too short for a tag axle, I've read where they do a remarkable job of keeping the coach steady in wind and traffic. I do suffer from a mild case of tag-axle envy so maybe on our next RV.

Happy Trails.
RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bydnar,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum and the family of Newmar owners. Congrats on your coach and successful maiden voyage. Sounds like you have many happy memories waiting to be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Being a Michigan native and living in the North country 8 months of the year I understand your need for sunshine.
Sounds like you had a great trip. I do detect one thing you may have done wrong.
RETURNED TO MICH. TO EARLY, I know it will snow again there.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags