RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I stopped at Tampa RV when I stayed at Lazy Days a couple of weeks ago. I was on my way to Campers World for parts and they were right on that exit. The parts department was no bigger than a small diner. They were totally lost as to what they had or did not have.

I talked to a sales person and found out that they are not a "Real" Newmar Dealer. They can only sell Dutch Stars and down in the brand lineup. I didn't realize that Newmar did that but that is like going to a Mercedes Store and all they have is Smart Cars and C class cars for sale.

That gave me pause and the stories here give me affirmation. At this rate they won't be there in a couple of years.
I think you will find that many Newmar dealers do not carry / offer the full lineup of coach models. Not sure if it is the dealer or Newmar that makes the determination of which models the dealer can handle, but I believe it has something to do with Newmar's requirements about quantities to be ordered of each model. I think there are quite a few Newmar dealers that don't / can't sell the KADB, for example.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #16

My local Newmar dealer only handles from MADP on down to CS.

Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #17

When RVOne first got the Newmar franchise only their Albany and Tampa stores carried the Newmar line with nothing above a Dutch Star. Now their Buffalo store also carries the line and they just had a Mountain Aire on the lot and now have a London Aire. I'm not sure what criteria are used to make that determination, but it does seem to change over a period of time.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #18

A dealership is only as good as their SERVICE DEPARTMENT !
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
CS 3914 order

We will be buying a 2016 Canyon Star 3914 this winter & taking a Factory Delivery in the summer of 2016...
Building an Excel spreadsheet for all of the Newmar dealers...
Thanks for reporting your bad experience with Tampa RV as I will shade them in Red on my spreadsheet (WARNING)...
I would like to hear more Good reports for great Newmar dealers...
Thanks,
Bob

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Bob, we elected to go with factory delivery and although we live in NJ we purchased from Berryland Campers in Louisiana. They gave us the best price.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #21

Report your bad service always to the manufacturer. Most top notch manufacturers will separate themselves from Dealers with consistent complaints , especially in service. I suspect that Newmar is one of these top notch manufacturers. ....
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob & Kathy a thread about good and bad dealers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #23

Welcome to IRV2 !
I have bought my last two MADP from Independence RV in Winter Garden, FL & have been super satisfied. Todd Simpson & his service crew are great to work with & do a fine job. The only issue I have had was with his paint shop man doing a less than quality job on repainting a fiberglass stress fracture in the rear cap- I took it back to Newmar for a re-do & they fixed it perfectly. I've found Independence RV to be very sharp with the pencil on deals & super on service.
As to Tampa RV not being a 'Real' Newmar dealer- that's the way Newmar sets up some dealers- Independence RV- Mountain Aire's and down & St. Louis RV only handles Dutch Stars & down. Steinbring in Garfield, MN only use to handle Mountain Aire's and down, but could get you an Essex or King Aire on a factory order. A lot of dealers, especially new ones start this way because of limited $$$$$$ they have tied up in inventory & price points of their buying customers.
Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Bob, we elected to go with factory delivery and although we live in NJ we purchased from Berryland Campers in Louisiana. They gave us the best price.

Would you mind giving me the % off of MSRP or send a PM to me??
The CS 3914 has lower MSRP, just trying to sort down to 10 or so dealers for pricing...
Did you have to make a trip to Berryland to chase the paper work??
Thanks,
Bob & Kathy

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Dealers

While I am not and have never been an "RV DEALER", I am small business owner and have been for 20 years.
Any business must decide the areas that will make a PROFIT for them. Yes, profit has to be there or they won't. Look around you at empty stores at any mall or down the street. Simple no PROFIT, no Business.

Each RV dealer including my favorite "Independence RV Winter Garden FL" must decide what moves from their lot. Which equates to sales, each sale must equal a PROFIT. Yes, their is a lot of FLUFF in the MSRP on each unit.

Independence negotiated a trade in for me, that made me very comfortable and based on my simple calculator was a very fair deal all the way around.

As I have said previously on this forum, they have their Technician's names on the service bays with their years of experience.

They sell only Newmar and I've spent more than a few days with them having modifications done on my new coach.

My business is customer service and if they were not superb, I would say it straightforward.

Best RV dealer I have ever dealt with...
Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #26

We purchased a 2014 Canyon Star 3953 from Wilkins Rv in Bath NY but would not recommend this dealer. They wanted more $$$ even after signing a final sales contract. Our unit was a special order and during the process received a sign off sheet with all the options we wanted. The sign off sheet had the invoice price on it. I think it was a mistake on the dealers part. The invoice showed the MSPR to be a 28.5% mark up. We received about 20% off but also had a trade in. The deal was ok but not happy with the treatment after the sale.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Independence RV

I bet Todd is smiling ear to ear. Great parts and service department.

We ended up taking our coach to Independence RV in Orlando for another issue, and to complete the modifications and repairs. Todd Simpsom, Service Manager, has been great to work with. He is very familiar with the Newmar coaches, which is an asset. It did not take him days to diagnose our problems. He has kept us updated and has done everything to this point, that he said he would do. It has been a wonderful experience to work with him. We will be taking our coach back to Independence RV for service and repairs.[/QUOTE]
benge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #28

I think one should work off the assumption that the sales and service departments are separate entities to work with, even if they share the same roof and name, unless experience shows otherwise.

I think you have to get all agreements and promises in writing, and get into the details of your service requirements to understand what needs to be done. Parts may have to be ordered and you need to know about that and the delays that occur from that.

I recognize there are a lot of service routines that customers have gotten use to, but I see no purpose in leaving an rv at a dealership if they are not actively working on it and when a trend develops, like two commitments or two promises in a row that failed, I think it is time to crank up ones involvement and expand the involvement with others so that they know you won't be pushed off and pushed aside in favor of other customers who have more "juice."

They should be keeping you updated and on track. When they are not doing that, that should be a red flag that you are probably being sidetracked in favor of other customers.

Broad time arrangements of I will be back in a couple of weeks may put you out of mind and on the bottom of the list. They may be hearing that you don't really care and they can let your service ride.

LeeSusan is offline   Reply With Quote