Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Tampa RV Nightmare

We purchased our 2014 Dutchstar in September 2014 from Tampa RV. Our Sales Rep, Scott Hamilton, was very knowledgeable about the Newmar Products and very helpful in getting us what we wanted. He did a good job for us. We had some modifications made to the coach, along with some repairs and were told we could pick the coach up on December 3. The coach was not ready on December 3, so we told the service department that we would pick it up on January 13, and take it back to them after the Tampa RV Super Show if we needed to. We took it back to Tampa RV on the 16th and left it with them to finish what needed to be done. From the time we left it on January 16, and Frbruary 2, we were told so many different stories by the service department about the repairs, we just made a decision to pick up our coach on February 16, whether they were finished with it or not. When we picked up the coach on the 16th., the repairs and modifications were not complete.

Another issue we had with Tampa RV is that we purchased their extended warranty on the coach and tires and wheels at the time we purchased our coach. The extended warranty stated that if we were within 100 miles of Tampa RV, we had to take our coach to Tampa RV to be serviced or repaired. We knew that after having so many problems with the service department trying to repair our coach that we did not want them working on our coach again, so we cancelled our extended warranty contracts with Tampa RV. As of this date, we have not been refunded for our tire and wheel extended service warranty.

We ended up taking our coach to Independence RV in Orlando for another issue, and to complete the modifications and repairs. Todd Simpsom, Service Manager, has been great to work with. He is very familiar with the Newmar coaches, which is an asset. It did not take him days to diagnose our problems. He has kept us updated and has done everything to this point, that he said he would do. It has been a wonderful experience to work with him. We will be taking our coach back to Independence RV for service and repairs.
tbaron34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

WELCOME to the RV WORLD, lets hope that's your only nightmare. I guess we all need at least one. But I hope not. This forum has good people with good advice.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Bad Service is terrible, and unforgivable, Congrats to you for moving on, life is too short, you now have good times in front of you.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #5

Scott sold us our Ventana and was great to work with. 3 weeks after we picked up our coach I sent Scott a list of some problems we had found and he took them to the service dept on our behalf to get an appointment confirmed. He asked the service scheduler to call me to confirm the date which he did not do, even after Scott asked him twice. I also called the service dept and left a message for them to call me back, that never happened. So I turned up a week later at my requested time and the service rep acted as if he never heard of me. It would be 10 days before he could even look at my list of issues. I called Independence to see if they could get me in but they were booked for the next month, so we came home and have no intention of going back. We are heading to the factory to get our warranty work done!
Luckily we didn't buy the extended warranty.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

I would be interested in the type of work that is being requested? We're the items that should have been caught during PDI or early failures?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a 2014 DSDP that you can relate yours to for comparison issues it has links in thread that may also help you.
Below in my signature you will find links to many others related to your Newmar.
Good luck and getting things resolved maybe a trip to Newmar would be a good thing before warranty is up.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Scott sold us our Ventana and was great to work with. 3 weeks after we picked up our coach I sent Scott a list of some problems we had found and he took them to the service dept on our behalf to get an appointment confirmed. He asked the service scheduler to call me to confirm the date which he did not do, even after Scott asked him twice. I also called the service dept and left a message for them to call me back, that never happened. So I turned up a week later at my requested time and the service rep acted as if he never heard of me. It would be 10 days before he could even look at my list of issues. I called Independence to see if they could get me in but they were booked for the next month, so we came home and have no intention of going back. We are heading to the factory to get our warranty work done!
Luckily we didn't buy the extended warranty.
What does an "extended warranty" have to do with the poor service from a dealer? BTW: unless you buy the "warranty" from the RV manufacturer you are buying a service policy not a "warranty". And so far as I know Newmar doesn't offer an "extended warranty"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like with this dealers service it doesn't mean much other than he made more money off the customer.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Extended Warranty

We just bought our coach too and survived and the extended warranty pressure. They made no less than five trips to our desk with impassioned speeches on how terrible it will be without their warranty. I'm like a brick wall once you offer me a warranty at $7000 then come back with same for $5000. If you can't give me the best price first time I'm done.
Oh yea, this was its sister Albany RV
Old 03-31-2015, 02:41 AM   #11

If you financed the purchase any refund for cancelling the extended service contract will be sent to the lender and reduce your principal balance. Usually takes a minimum of 6 weeks and longer.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #12

Why would you purchase an extended warranty on a new coach? I'd wait til the manufacturer's warranty is getting ready to expire. And then I certainly wouldn't buy one from a dealer, especially Tampa RV. Their reputation for service is less than stellar.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A thread of dealers good and bad for your indulgence.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2489288][B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/thank-you-newmar-for-3-1-2-years-of-trouble-free-camping-but-215598-4.html#post2315931
A thread [/URL][/B]of dealers good and bad for your indulgence.
I stopped at Tampa RV when I stayed at Lazy Days a couple of weeks ago. I was on my way to Campers World for parts and they were right on that exit. The parts department was no bigger than a small diner. They were totally lost as to what they had or did not have.

I talked to a sales person and found out that they are not a "Real" Newmar Dealer. They can only sell Dutch Stars and down in the brand lineup. I didn't realize that Newmar did that but that is like going to a Mercedes Store and all they have is Smart Cars and C class cars for sale.

That gave me pause and the stories here give me affirmation. At this rate they won't be there in a couple of years.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote