Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

Tank Monitor

Have a 2003 Dutch Star, with the Newmar brand tank monitor system. It has a black front and invludes batt lvl, lp tank level, and all tanks. Also has a water pump switch on it. Seems to work well, but occasionally, all levels show full, even when I know gray, black are empty and LP is half. I think it is calibrating, but not sure anyone else experienced this event? Any info much appreciated.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Have a 2003 Dutch Star, with the Newmar brand tank monitor system. It has a black front and invludes batt lvl, lp tank level, and all tanks. Also has a water pump switch on it. Seems to work well, but occasionally, all levels show full, even when I know gray, black are empty and LP is half. I think it is calibrating, but not sure anyone else experienced this event? Any info much appreciated.
Since you seem to be saying, they all read full at the same time and they are separate monitor systems, you need to find something that they have in common. I believe I would look for a location where the hot and ground are close together and can at times touch. Maybe near the back of the fuse panel.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its a matter of recalibration this link may help.
You may need to flush out tanks to clean the sensors in it if its not showing differences.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
This sounds like an electrical problem like a loose ground. Maybe one of the connections at the back of the panel. I have read of this on another post.

I used to have problems with accuracy on my sensors and tried this Happy Campers product. No more problems. I would suggest looking for a wiring issue and getting the tanks clean before doing any calibration adjustments.

Amazon.com: EXTREME CLEANER by Happy Campers - RV & Marine Extreme Tank & Sensor Cleaner 18 oz.: Automotive

Since my initial experience with Happy Campers, I use the regular powder exclusively and have had no more tank problems.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
DJJ

Mike,

I also have a 2003 DS 40', my tank sensors are taped to the outside of the tanks and are accessible by removing the peg board on the curb side bay. When my readings were changing I tried first to recalibrate, when that did not work I had to remove the peg board and found some sensors were loose. Just taped them back down.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #6

Thanks all. When I get to my summer spot, I'll pull the peg board and check sensors.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tank Monitor

Mike... Your 03 is probably like my 02, in that it has been worked on over the years, and that has changed the original configuration. I've found that I have the same intermittent tank indicator problem as you, and that mine relates to whether or not the bathroom light is on or off. Strange, I know, but there you are. In my coach, the tank indicators, LR and K slide operation, and furnace shutoff relay are all impacted in some way by the aftermarket bathroom fluorescent light installed by a previous owner. I presume there are ground loops involved, and would be a world-class PITA to track down. I've learned to live with it.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ballasts of florescent lighting have been known to effect electronics systems when they become defective.
Shut off switch on light fixture and see if the problem clears.
The ballast converts 12v to 110 for lights.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Mike_Harriet
Very few, (if any?), RV waste tank monitors are accurate.
My water tank gauge is "dead on" accurate, the LP indicator is "so-so", the grey tank indicator is "close"..... but my black tank gauge has been "wrong" for 18 years.

Some use expensive tank chemicals/additives.
Some attempt to clean the tanks.
(Both of which, in my opinion and experience, is a waste of $$ and/or time).

Some owners replace the "in tank" probes: https://www.rv-partsplus.com/finally...ng-tank-levels

Some install a different type of sensor: SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.

I've simply "learned to live with" incorrect tank level indicators.

Mel
'96 Safari, 136K miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #10

When my level system works,(97% of the time)it's very accurate. I've calibrated it using the adjustable potentiometers above the push pads. I'll look into the fluorescent light interference next time it happens.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tank Monitor

No need to wait for it to happen. You can do some coarse troubleshooting in advance. With the indicators showing properly, start turning on combinations of fluorescent lights and at each step check to see if the indicators are 'all full'.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Make your life simple and remove the faulty original sensors. Install a See Level system and have a reliable more accurate tank monitoring system. You will be happy and won't waste any more time. Factory tank monitoring systems are the #1 complaint of RV owners.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank