RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
PIA

Ok, I am now going to take a differant approach to solving my issue. I need to repalce my Front TV in our 2000 DSDP. Ok, I want to replace it..It is old, and has 1 input..for teh cable. I want something a bit more friendly for DVD players, surround sound systems, etc..

I have decided against a flat screen LCD, unless someone has a really good idea-realizing how difficult it is to mount it flush and adjust it, without doing major cabinet mods..So, a tube televsision works fine for me. Here is the issue..I measure the opening to be almost 20" x 20"....what televisions (mfgs and model #) have you all put in your coaches, or do you have that will fit in my front TV cabinet?

I appreciate your input...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
PIA

Ok, I am now going to take a differant approach to solving my issue. I need to repalce my Front TV in our 2000 DSDP. Ok, I want to replace it..It is old, and has 1 input..for teh cable. I want something a bit more friendly for DVD players, surround sound systems, etc..

I have decided against a flat screen LCD, unless someone has a really good idea-realizing how difficult it is to mount it flush and adjust it, without doing major cabinet mods..So, a tube televsision works fine for me. Here is the issue..I measure the opening to be almost 20" x 20"....what televisions (mfgs and model #) have you all put in your coaches, or do you have that will fit in my front TV cabinet?

I appreciate your input...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flat panel TVs are much lighter and have all the latest features (HDTV,S-Video, HDMI,etc.). Perhaps there is a LCD TV out there that will fit into your 20X20 opening.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PIA:

I replaced a 19" tube TV in the rear of my rig with a 20" Panasonic LCD. It has all the connections for DVD, etc.

Have you considered mounting a piece of plywood in the existing opening to which you can attach a bracket that would hold a flat screen LCD? That might allow you to expand your options without doing much modification to the cabinet.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
PIA

You just gave me an idea...What about a piece of hinged plywood..mount the TV to that, and the hinge could be up top, and the bottom can latch to keep it closed..hmmm..ideas...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
PIA

I fianlly did it! I had a door made and placed it over the original TV cabinet.Then I mounted the Flat Screen TV with DirecTV tuner built in. Works great! And I think it looks great as well.

Now I just need to tackle the surround sound issue. My problem is, the Surround Sound Tuner is too deep to fit in the Driver side overhead. I think I have to place it on the Passanger side, behind the front seat....Thenrun my wires. I am bit nervous drilling holes to run lines...Who has a 2000 Dutchstar that has put in surround sound? How did you run the wiring?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #7

I'm eyeing the same situation except I'd like to know if anyone has ever run the power and signal cables through the roof ducts to the bathroom wall to mount a flat screen. The other option I though of was to run those same wires behind the cove molding along the ceiling. Anyone have any ideas on this one????????

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
PIA,Just above you there are some add ons that I have put in 5.1 dvd, LCD.
Tony if you have a wall large enough down the end where bath is you could feed necessary wiring down to that wall with a crown molding mounted to ceiling above your main slide. The LCD I have works on 12v thru a brake down transformer.
I had a shower on that wall in bathroom so would have to feed wires down kitchen wall to LCD. You can not fish wires thru ceiling front to back only thru cabinets pass-side than across ceiling to opposite side wall.
Look it over good anything is possible.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #9

007, not being an electrician, are you saying I should draw my 12v power from a closer source rather than running from the front? Is that as radio shack item I wire into the system? Thanks for your help!

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #10

Another question I have has to do with brand on the flat screen. Someone here mentioned Jensen as the best brand to withstand the bumps. I recall it had a marine application for some rugged treatment. What do others think? Does it really make much difference?

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Polaroid LCD that works off 12v, you would need a long 12v plug and power lead to get from fuse panel up front along with the coax lead from TV Control box. Both leads wouldn't be that large or heavy, the power lead may have to be spliced to use the plug for 12v input.
You will also have to figure what your going to mount the 20lb LCD on the wall to, sometimes not to much support inside wall on bathroom wall.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote