Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

Temperature probe location for AGS 2016 DS

I emailed Newmar about this and am having a hard time believing their answer. Trying to set up the Automatic Generator Start for temperature mode, I figured the temperature probe would be inside the coach or tied to the dometic thermostat. Newmar told me the probe is in the coach battery compartment, this makes no sense to me.
Are they correct? Or does anyone know where it is?
As always thanks for the help.

Lisa
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The gas will start the generator based on the thermostat setting. Set the ARC start Temp to "External" and the thermostat to AC and the generator will start when the temp goes above the set point on either of the zones.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Apple auto corrects. The gas supposed to be AGS. The thermostat is the Dometic on the wall.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think they misunderstood you. There is a probe, looks a little bigger than a thumb drive, attached to your batteries. That probe senses battery temperature. Obviously, you were looking for an inside temp sensor to start the A/C.

Unless Newmar knows where that probe was placed, you might have to look for yourself. Often, they place things in different areas on different coaches. The sensor cable should be plugged into the rear of your Magnum remote panel above the passenger's seat. I'm guessing it somewhere near there. You may need to remove the panel and follow the temp sensor cable. Maybe someone will come on who has discovered the location.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
There is a thermostat for the refrigerator water line heater in the battery compartment to prevent it to freeze up in the winter. Newmar connects the Dometic system to the AGS module thru an interface module in the basement. This way if any zone calls for cooling and the coach is not connected to power, the generator will start as long as theOnan MRC is set to "external". Newmar does not use on the late ( 2014 and newer) coaches a separate thermostat for AGS.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
By the way, the thermistor or external contact closure (used by Newmar connects to the AGS module, not to the MRC.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you look on the aft-bulkhead...of the door-side bay...just in front of the pegboard bay... Anyway...that's where they screwed my ME-AGS-N (Auto Gen Start Network edition). Follow the wire out of the "remote port". If the wire goes to a little black box a bit smaller than a pack of matches...that is the PT-1 (or PT-2). In turn that connects to a control box labeled Dometic. This is how it see's when there is a demand.

So, enable the AGS on your remote to Temperature Start on "External"...

Here's what happens...

Your Dometic thermostat decides it's time to run the Air Conditioner. But there isn't a source of AC power on the lines the Air Conditioners are connected to. So, it will shed the loads (if you have the Precision Circuits Load mgmt. panel)...Start the generator and let it warm up... Then re-establish the loads...one of those being an airconditioner...and others being the other air conditioners...and there you go. It cools off. When set temp is reached...the loads are shed again...the generator runs for 2 minute cool down...and then the generator shuts down.

Pretty cool device...

If there isn't a PT-1 or PT-2 connected to the AGS remote port...there will be a long cable that connects to an actual temp sensor. I don't think Newmar uses that method...but if you do find one...that is when you would set an actual temperature setting and a run time for the generator. But I honestly don't think they would have used that method on your coach.

The only temp sensor in the battery compartment is a remote temp sensor that goes to your Inverter. It is used to adjust the charge voltages for battery temperatures above or below 77 degrees Fahrenheit. It will not do anything for your Generator start...sorry they must have misunderstood the question.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #8

If you're talking about the inside of the coach our temp probe is on the inner wall by the half bath. There is another one in the bedroom on an inner wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6229.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	157973  
Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
The gas will start the generator based on the thermostat setting. Set the ARC start Temp to "External" and the thermostat to AC and the generator will start when the temp goes above the set point on either of the zones.
Thank you. I thought it would be the dometic temperature. I will try this.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think they misunderstood you. There is a probe, looks a little bigger than a thumb drive, attached to your batteries. That probe senses battery temperature. Obviously, you were looking for an inside temp sensor to start the A/C.

Unless Newmar knows where that probe was placed, you might have to look for yourself. Often, they place things in different areas on different coaches. The sensor cable should be plugged into the rear of your Magnum remote panel above the passenger's seat. I'm guessing it somewhere near there. You may need to remove the panel and follow the temp sensor cable. Maybe someone will come on who has discovered the location.
Thank you, Don. If Andy's solution doesn't work I'll start trying to follow the cables.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowood100 View Post
If you're talking about the inside of the coach our temp probe is on the inner wall by the half bath. There is another one in the bedroom on an inner wall.
Thanks, these aren't the ones. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
If you look on the aft-bulkhead...of the door-side bay...just in front of the pegboard bay... Anyway...that's where they screwed my ME-AGS-N (Auto Gen Start Network edition). Follow the wire out of the "remote port". If the wire goes to a little black box a bit smaller than a pack of matches...that is the PT-1 (or PT-2). In turn that connects to a control box labeled Dometic. This is how it see's when there is a demand.

So, enable the AGS on your remote to Temperature Start on "External"...

Here's what happens...

Your Dometic thermostat decides it's time to run the Air Conditioner. But there isn't a source of AC power on the lines the Air Conditioners are connected to. So, it will shed the loads (if you have the Precision Circuits Load mgmt. panel)...Start the generator and let it warm up... Then re-establish the loads...one of those being an airconditioner...and others being the other air conditioners...and there you go. It cools off. When set temp is reached...the loads are shed again...the generator runs for 2 minute cool down...and then the generator shuts down.

Pretty cool device...

If there isn't a PT-1 or PT-2 connected to the AGS remote port...there will be a long cable that connects to an actual temp sensor. I don't think Newmar uses that method...but if you do find one...that is when you would set an actual temperature setting and a run time for the generator. But I honestly don't think they would have used that method on your coach.

The only temp sensor in the battery compartment is a remote temp sensor that goes to your Inverter. It is used to adjust the charge voltages for battery temperatures above or below 77 degrees Fahrenheit. It will not do anything for your Generator start...sorry they must have misunderstood the question.
Thanks, Charlie. I read manuals until my head hurt. This makes sense. We were thinking that the reading would come from the dometic thermostat, but that would be internal not external. Now I get it (I think).
Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes......I knew what you were asking Newmar wasn't answered incorrectly. I looked at the Magnum site and their controller. Their site describes cabling to the remote. I had an idea that may have not been the correct answer, to simple, and is why I stated maybe someone will come along with the info, because I was apparently full of baloney.

Dang if "C.Martin" hasn't been my hero lately with good electrical information, not my strong suit. I'm glad you asked the question. I now have a good understanding how the system works. When I owned my 05 Monaco Diplomat, I knew what every button and every box did. Luckily, I haven't had any electrical issues requiring me to hunt down these systems. I do occasionally see little electrical boxes in various places that I have no clue what they do. I make a mental note in case I have to go look some day.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Slight correction to the operation: the AGS is not checking for temperature or contact closure continuously. When the PT1 contact closure or a thermistor starts the generator, it will run for the "Generator Run Time" set on the AGS menu. At the expiration of that time the AGS checks whether cooling is still needed. If not, the generator shuts down. If cooling still needed, the generator will run an other cycle.

Tags
cat