RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
For those with the oasis hydronic heaters, it is very easy to add in the loop to engage the oasis preheat function. I did this myself on the 2019, and newmar did it for me on my 2013. The added feature of extra heat in the bathroom, especially over the engine cover means I use it more frequently.
+1...

I followed his lead. The Oasis preheat feature is an amazing way to warmup the engine. I installed it just last month. We took a trip earlier this month to Tennessee and Kentucky...it was in the twenties in London, Ky...so, I actually used it. My only regret is not tracking the performance on the LBCU by selecting engine temp for one of the fields. Might have to wait for next winter to track the preheat performance. It works!...and I didn't have to go to the aft compartment to plug something in. The bonus for those tha boondock too...you don't need a generator or shore power to do it. Just diesel fuel and 12vdc.

It appears a consensus doing a google search says for temps of 0 fahrenheit it's recommended...and -20 fahrenheit it's a must. But it can't hurt to get things warmed up a bit earlier.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I lived back east, I think adding the extra pump would be a great mod. No worrying about the block heater.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #17

Unless there is specification from the manufacture never start the engine below the rating of the oil. For 15-40 it is -4F. That is really cold and doing that to your engine is not real good.

One way to tell is to notice how much smoke is coming out. If it is excessive then your too cold. Hows that for a scientific opinion.

The real problem with cold starts is the wear and tear on the engine. So much is tuned up to operate at 190 degrees.

Many have suggested 40 degrees but if you want to baby it I would get it up to 60 degrees if you can. I say this because you really do not know how warm it is. If the heater is under the oil pan then just the oil gets warmed up. I takes a long time to heat the block up too. See how warm it is with a thermal temp meter, you will be surprised at how it heats up.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #18

It would be rare that we are every in temps close to the 40 degree range, but we would plug it in if we were.

Just a side note. The block heater that is OEM on mine runs when it is plugged in no matter what the temp is. I found this out because when North Trail took delivery they left it plugged in. From November to March of that year it was still plugged in while we camped in SW Florida on a metered electrical connection. My electric bill was about $50 a month higher than anyone else's.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #19

Just curious, you mentioned "plugged in", doesn't your coach have a illuminated off on switch for the block heater? Where are you staying in SW Florida?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bigd9;4732829]Just curious, you mentioned "plugged in", doesn't your coach have a illuminated off on switch for the block heater?

I leave mine plugged in all winter, and just toggle the switch in the control panel when I need to preheat the block !
Old 04-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #21

I have the older Hydrohot...I think the unit supported the engine pre-heat but not positive mine has that plumbed. I always assumed it did. thankfully haven't had to look careful to see.

whats the easiest way to know? Is there another switch for "engine pre-heat mode"? I assume there is piping to the Hydrohot for that circuit...that should be easy enough to see from the baggage compartment.

My Electric Block Pre-heat switch was shorted and damaged during the rear accident. I replaced it with a "smart switch" that the automation system can manage or remotely controlled. So, if I knew I was going to drive it tomorrow, and the automation system (that gets a weather feed) knew it was going to be cold, the system can automatically pre-heat just in time for the AM start. Quick and Easy upgrade that saves electricity.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Yes a switch and another pump. My 2002 with HH does not have the HH preheat.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Yes a switch and another pump. My 2002 with HH does not have the HH preheat.
Thanx
https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterre...00-905-FRU.htm
That looks like the pump.
I will be plumbing in a whole house vac and that might be a good time to also put in the coolant lines if they are needed while I am on my back crawling around the baggage compartments. The pre-heat looks like a good feature, especially since I hope to use the RV for some ski trips this winter.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
Our AquaHot has the shared plumbing, so if running the AH system for coach heat, the engine is warmed by the furnace with a touch of a button.
Also has a 120v block heater if needed..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Unless there is specification from the manufacture never start the engine below the rating of the oil. For 15-40 it is -4F. That is really cold and doing that to your engine is not real good.

One way to tell is to notice how much smoke is coming out. If it is excessive then your too cold. Hows that for a scientific opinion.

The real problem with cold starts is the wear and tear on the engine. So much is tuned up to operate at 190 degrees.

Many have suggested 40 degrees but if you want to baby it I would get it up to 60 degrees if you can. I say this because you really do not know how warm it is. If the heater is under the oil pan then just the oil gets warmed up. I takes a long time to heat the block up too. See how warm it is with a thermal temp meter, you will be surprised at how it heats up.
Well you nailed perfectly
It's all about wear and tear of the engine, starter and charging system

Tags
engine, heat, heater, temperature