Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

"Temporary Replacement" of Oasis Summer Loop Pump

In my thread entitled, "Shower Mixing Valve Replacement", I described the problem I'm currently experiencing with insufficient hot water. From speaking with "Brian" and "Kevin" with ITR (Oasis), I'm almost convinced that I have a "bad" summer loop pump. Yesterday, "Brian" instructed how to access the pump and the procedure to follow in determining if the pump is bad. Today, "Brian" was not available, so spoke with "Kevin". I told him of my conversation with "Brian" yesterday, as well as what I had found. Unlike all previous conversations I've had with ITR (Oasis) reps over the years, this one with "Kevin" was not a pleasant one, in that he seemed to be too busy for me and was hesitant to commit that my summer loop pump was bad. His ADVICE (perhaps good?) was to switch out one of the other two pumps (since identical) with the summer loop pump, at least for test purposes, and if it works, I need replacement of my summer loop pump. QUESTION: Anyone ever try this? Seems like a good idea, especially since the pumps are priced at about $300. each. It's going to involve pinching the hoses during the process, which may not prove too big a deal. Just how difficult, otherwise, are the pumps to remove? I'm at the stage now where I'm ready to begin punching the hoses and removing the pumps. Would much appreciate any thoughts as to the
"switching-out" idea, as well as what else I need to be aware of and steps to take before moving forward. Larry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a bad summer loop pump, turn on the bypass switch and you will have hot water. This turns on the heat loop pumps and water gets circulated through the hot water heat exchanger.

Did they tell you to do this? It was the first thing they told me when mine failed. I used that switch for hot water for a couple weeks until I could get a new summer loop pump while we were on the road.

I guess I don’t know for sure if they put a bypass switch in the 2015.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Larry - See if you can talk to Randy Baldwin at ITR. He's great. I agree with what "ptw" stated above. If it's the summer pump, flipping the switch on the top of the distribution module zone box will result in hot domestic water. (one exception is that there is a 5? amp fuse for the pump that could be blown). Replacing the summer pump doesn't demand any outrageous skill other than being flexible enough to get to the distribution box. In our 4369 with a slide out tray in the way, it requires a good bit of twisting and turning. The pump itself only requires that two connections be pulled and of course the two hose connections. Even pinched off, bring towels with you to the job!

Do try to catch Randy if you can.

Tom
Old 01-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Many thanks, Paul & Tom! I'll immediately flip on the bypass switch and EXPECT and ample supply of hot water. When I began looking into this problem I assured that the BP switch was OFF, where it should normally be...didn't understand enough about it to know it would work temporarilyto help my problem. Thanks for that. I was hoping to switch out the summer loop pump (SLP) with one of the others, as a test to INSURE I have a defective SLP. Know that this has been tried? Not seen in the forum? If I do this there's a need for a lot of pinching-off...not certain
if I should pinch ALL hoses that run to the two pumps? Thoughts? Larry
Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Larry - Each pump has an "innie" and an "outie" plumbing connection. ;>) You will need to pinch off each one on any pump you want to disconnect. Try the summer pump switch first as that's the easiest and least messy. Then once you know the results from that you will know the next step to take.

Tom
Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

Thanks, Tom, for the good advice. I'll "hope for the best" & the least "mess"! So many fun projects...thankfully, my body has maneuvered pretty well in that tight compartment. Paul, I flipped my bypass switch ON and
have plenty hot water for the time. Thanks, Larry
Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've wiggled my way into that compartment a few times, but almost had to have someone pull me back out. You know you're getting old when you carry your cell phone into that bay or onto the roof...….just in case you need to call 911.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Don, in my almost 82 years I've managed to stay pretty slender & agile; otherwise, I would spend much of my time stuck somewhere. You've given lots of information, helpful to me in this project, as well as many others. Thank you. As regards having the phone handy, I don't have the habit of keeping it with me as I should. Better make that my resolution for the new year! Larry
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I had my 2014 DS and everyone was starting to have pump failures in 2016 and 2017, I bought a spare pump and hose pinching tool for insurance. Knock on wood......I hope I didn't jinx myself.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Don - You're just a pup! What are you going to do when you get old and decrepit like some of us? I saw you doing those Jumping Jacks during the build!

Larry - unless you have a blown fuse on that pump (if you do, it is likely because the pump is internally shorted and will only blow it again) you need a pump. Someone did post a source for similar pumps but I don't have the thread any more. Obviously ITR doesn't produce them so they must be available somewhere. The trick is to get the exact specs. Doubt ITR will offer that but it might be worth a try.

Tom
Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #11

Hi Hugh
Just a comment regarding the pricing. I purchase the tune up/maintenance kits from ITR. Last time I added a pump to the list to carry as a spare & they gave me 15% off the total bill. That made it a little easier to swallow.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Don - You're just a pup! What are you going to do when you get old and decrepit like some of us? I saw you doing those Jumping Jacks during the build!

Larry - unless you have a blown fuse on that pump (if you do, it is likely because the pump is internally shorted and will only blow it again) you need a pump. Someone did post a source for similar pumps but I don't have the thread any more. Obviously ITR doesn't produce them so they must be available somewhere. The trick is to get the exact specs. Doubt ITR will offer that but it might be worth a try.

Tom
My understanding is that ITR speced the pump and req's that the mfg supply them only and won't sell to public or other distributor. There may be other pumps that will work but not exact replacements.

I bought a spare pump with the intent to install as the engine preheat and use as a spare if I needed it elsewhere. One of the members here cautioned me that exchanging pumps & bypassing the removed one might be more work than it was worth. I've put the engine preheat as a lo priority and carry the spare pump in case of failure - especially when it's cold and freezing might be an issue.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #13

Explain ITR?
Also does anyone have a photo of the pumps in an Oasis system? Or what brand pumps are used? Have had several failures on my Aqua Hot unit. Wondering if pumps are the same. Considering trading within the next year and trying to get educated on Newmar and their systems.
Thanks
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi SAS30 - ITR is the company that makes the Oasis. They have facilities in the Northwest (Washington)and in Canada (British Columbia). Good company.
I can tell you that the pumps are not the same as the AquaHot and AquaHot has had a slew of different pump models over the last few years due to difficulties with them.

Tom

Tags
ace, oasis, replace, replacement